Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any value in "less than great" body panels and other parts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any value in "less than great" body panels and other parts? by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 02-12-2016 09:29 PM
Replies: 9 (287 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 03-14-2016 10:05 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm planning on going Lord of War on my 88 parts car. For those unfamilar with the reference, please review the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZSR0pfg5Y

With that out of the way, the question becomes what should I save and what should I trash? The parts car is an 88 coupe, little to no options. The main car is an 87 GT with all options but rear defrost. I already plan to save the cradle to build an engine swap on. I'm also going to use the interior to build something custom with, and the hood because it's in nice enough shape to try to build some sort of extractor hood with. I know there are a few miscellaneous parts that are worth saving as spares such as the headlight motors and stuff like that.

The body is a big question. Aside from the hood I don't have much use for the rest of the body. The paint is SHOT. On top of that, most of the panels have some sort of problem with them, such as the keyhole on the decklid being buggered up. Really the only panels that I would consider salvageable are the roof, notchback, driver's door, driver's fender, and the two rear quarter panels. Both bumpers have BAD sag, the passenger's door has a chunk missing, etc. Even the "good" body panels will take work to make nice. Is it worth it for me to keep them and try to sell them, or should I trash them?

As for other parts-- what on this car would have potential value? It's got a duke with something wrong with it (not sure what, don't care enough to investigate), automatic trans, and not a whole lot else. Over the next few weekends I want to sort this car out. I want to pull of ANYTHING of value and trash the rest. I need this car out of my yard.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time I save something, nobody wants it.

Every time I toss something, somebody needs it.

I'd have a better chance in Vegas.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, that's the thing. I'd love to get my $500 back out of this car, but I'm not sure how. I already plan to sell the bearings, but what else is worth anything from this car? I'm thinking I'm going to keep the glass for spares on my car, but what about parts like the windshield washer pump? Is it worth my time trying to extract it?Manual window crank handles? I don't want to get featured on an episode of Hoarders, but I also don't want to throw money in the trash.

Even if I can't get $500 selling parts, I still feel like this car was a good buy for the cradle and the fasteners, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to get something back-- especially if that means helping out a fellow Fiero owner who needs something.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I busted up an '88 base model. Tossed (left on the car) all the control arms because they were a little rusty and the hardware holding them in looked nasty. I find out later I could have sold them a few times over. Then I recently found out that all 4 splash shields are 1988 only. Should I have saved them? Maybe.

I have well over 1600 sq./ft. of parts for all kinds of Pontiacs.

You can't save it all. If you do, your yard will look like a junkyard and your local zoning officer will be knocking on your door.

Bottom line.... Save what you can but save what is worth your time saving. I stopped saving used rocker panel mouldings from base models because what they are worth isn't worth all the work involved in removing them.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the space frame? The car is junk, but it's rust free
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At some point, I want the "firewall and back" section of an 88 space frame, to use for a template for engine swaps, etc.
Unfortunately, not now. Don't have room for it.

If the bumper covers are good, I would save them. The sag is not a big deal, as long as there is no other damage. A couple hours with a heat gun can remove most of the sag.
(I "restored" a collision-damaged Miata bumper cover with a hair dryer. Took about an hour. It was so deformed that the guy who sold me the door, gave me the bumper cover for free. It went into and under a pickup, hard enough to trigger the airbags. It's why he was parting the car.)
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

What about the space frame? The car is junk, but it's rust free

Shipping would be a royal P.I.T.A.

It can be done but no one would pay the cost.

It's a shame but sometimes you just got to walk away.

Although you could sell cut-off pieces to someone that wants to repair what they have vs. replace the whole space frame.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what kills me. I've got a rust free southern car and I know there are cars rotting away in the great frozen north that could be saved.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some parts in great demand as they are hard to find and others so common that even in NOS condition they are not worth much.

Interior and other things that are difficult to find are worth saving but regular fenders in less than perfect condition as of now are little value as there are too many good ones out there.

Look for things like Console skeletons. Dashes with no cracks etc.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan to do your own body work or painting in the future those old, not perfect, body panels can be an excellent practicing ground. If you mess them up no problem! And you can gain the skills and practice necessary to do it right when it matters. I kept quite a few old panels to hone my skills on, or test some ideas. I was glad I did. So if you have space for them, they might come in handy.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock