Magazine article by Gwhite18
Started on: 02-01-2016 11:53 PM
Replies: 11 (352 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 02-05-2016 11:36 AM
Gwhite18

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was in the tire shop getting my truck aligned and found this article in the Feb 2016 issue of automobile mag.

Link provided by Fiero Tom
http://www.automobilemag.co...-1988-pontiac-fiero/

[This message has been edited by Gwhite18 (edited 02-05-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice positive article; helps balance some of the negative ones that appear occasionally, lol!
The "under-powered" theme is a little tiresome, as the same engine was in millions of bigger, heavier family sedans.
Lately it seems that a family sedan with less than 300 horsepower is "under-powered". How times change!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Nice positive article; helps balance some of the negative ones that appear occasionally, lol!
The "under-powered" theme is a little tiresome, as the same engine was in millions of bigger, heavier family sedans.
Lately it seems that a family sedan with less than 300 horsepower is "under-powered". How times change!

every thing comes in circles, back in the 60s we had family cars with 3 or 400 HP, Jetstars, Lemans, impalas. Next they will go back down again because of some other new law meant to protect us then back up after they figure a way around that. Back in the 70s everything started going down hill to keep up with emissions standards, then back up again in the 90s, so we are due for some new laws.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-02-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you guys opening this ? I go to the link, shows a thumbnail photo, I can't seem to enlarge it. Hints ?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get a pretty big pic on screen, but not quite big enough to read. In the upper right corner, there's a + magnifying glass icon that I click on to enlarge it.
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can read it online here .... http://www.automobilemag.co...-1988-pontiac-fiero/
Gwhite18

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the link. I couldn't find it, and posting pictures to this form is HORRIBLE.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

every thing comes in circles, back in the 60s we had family cars with 3 or 400 HP, Jetstars, Lemans, impalas.
Steve

Correct me if I am wrong, but back then HP was measured at the crank, not at the wheels, so a 300 HP car in the late 60's had a lot less actual power than a 300 HP car built 30 years later..

In terms of the Fiero being underpowered even for its' time, I think that is a valid point due to the sports car appearance of this model. The power of the 2.5 was pathetic for any car even back then, but the 2.8 was acceptable for the Pontiac 6000 and many other cars that shared that platform at the time. Since the Fiero looked like a sportscar, the article simply stated that the performance did not match the looks, which is entirely true. We all know the reasons why GM did not put a better performing powerplant in this car.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Correct me if I am wrong, but back then HP was measured at the crank, not at the wheels, so a 300 HP car in the late 60's had a lot less actual power than a 300 HP car built 30 years later..

In terms of the Fiero being underpowered even for its' time, I think that is a valid point due to the sports car appearance of this model. The power of the 2.5 was pathetic for any car even back then, but the 2.8 was acceptable for the Pontiac 6000 and many other cars that shared that platform at the time. Since the Fiero looked like a sportscar, the article simply stated that the performance did not match the looks, which is entirely true. We all know the reasons why GM did not put a better performing powerplant in this car.

Horsepower is still measured at the crank. At least the advertised horsepower.
With that said...
Back in the day, a Fiero GT with a manual trans was a match for a Monte Carlo SS with a V8.
Not as slow as you'd suspect.

(I also had an engine swapped Monza 2+2 that would blow the paint off of a stock 'vette of that era.)

I like seeing these articles that actually cast the car in a positive light.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-05-2016).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link, nice article, had some great shots. I liked these.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 02-05-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Back in the day, a Fiero GT with a manual trans was a match for a Monte Carlo SS with a V8.
Not as slow as you'd suspect.

That's a fact!

The Monte SS had a 180 horse 305 and was much heavier than the Fiero, so it all balanced out.

This article proves what I have said for several years. The media use to love bashing the Fiero with its Chevette front suspension, Citation rear suspension and its 135-140 horse rather than its uniqueness. Like the internet today, people believe everything they read, whether it's right or wrong, and make stupid decisions solely on poor and biased info.

As more positive info comes out on these cars, more of the collector car public will take note and the popularity will rise which always affects the price.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-05-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Michigan pot holes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock