Passenger Side Turn Signal Problem, Front and Front/Side by DKcustoms
Started on: 02-01-2016 07:47 PM
Replies: 11 (353 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-04-2016 02:09 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I searched for anyone else having this issue, but was unable to find anything similar that worked.

Car is an 88 Formula, but has a 87 front wiring harness as I "believe" the original harness had the same issue.

I have LED switchbacks in the front bumper lights that run white with the driving lights and amber with the turns.
The problem is that both the turn signals for the passenger side are not working (I switched the bulbs from the other side and the same doesn't work, so its not the bulbs)

Once again, I "believe" the original harness had the same issue, but I could be wrong, I switched the harnesses over the summer when I tore the car down to the frame.
I think the idea was to fix this same problem, but at this time I don't remember.
I just got power back to the car the other day so I am rediscovering the issue.

I thought about trying to put a new socket on the front turn signal to see if that fixes the problem, but I don't know if that explains why the side signal isn't working either.
The fender grounds are in place on both sides, horn works, etc.

Any ideas other that me trying to solder on a new turn signal socket?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the bulbs in the side marker lights and the turn indicators in the instrument cluster. Is the issue thar the lights don't illuminate, or that they don't blink?
Shade Tree Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem on a 88 gt it was the plug on the turn signal stalk on the steering column
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Check the bulbs in the side marker lights and the turn indicators in the instrument cluster. Is the issue thar the lights don't illuminate, or that they don't blink?

All the bulbs work, both in the instrument cluster and the exterior markers themselves.
The issue seems to be the the exterior lights are not getting the power/signal to flash

Originally posted by Shade Tree Fiero:

I had the same problem on a 88 gt it was the plug on the turn signal stalk on the steering column

Can you elaborate on this?
Shade Tree Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have a pm
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the grounds on the bulb sockets. Fairly common issue.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aren't you supposed to replace the flasher?

------------------
Pat Jones

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did change the blinker fluid right?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

aren't you supposed to replace the flasher?

I did do this, forgot to add that, because I did doublec4's led taillight kit
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DKcustoms

1071 posts
Member since Oct 2013

Originally posted by Shho13:

Check the grounds on the bulb sockets. Fairly common issue.

sockets themselves are free of corrosion, PO used plenty of electrical grease.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the grounds. I had one side that wouldn't flash, the ground wire at the front of the bumper turn signal was broken, but appeared just fine until I really yanked on it. Long story. But, as for the flasher units. Did you replace both flashers? And if so, did you use a flasher intended for LED's?

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 02-04-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace w/ normal bulb to check the socket etc.

Leave socket out to see the filaments.
Park = dim filament only
Turn = bright filament only

Both filaments on for each function is ground problem.
Ground problems often cause Sneak Path ground w/ normal bulbs too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock