Started on: 02-01-2016 04:04 PM
Replies: 47 (1677 views)
Last post by: mrfred8 on 07-05-2017 08:29 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried a search for 2+2 but the forum doesn't like that, so I figured I'd ask.
Looking for more info or pics on the 2+2 prototype as shown here: http://www.gt.ppdictionary....totype_photos_4.html
Says it was sold at B-J some time ago. Anyone on here have it?
A growing family has me curious
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick search and I found one was sold at Scottsdale B-J in 2009 for $17,900
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to know where most of these went....including the Valcar convertible:

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think we know where the PPG pace car is. Doesn't a cartain person in Davenport have it?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last I heard both of the convertibles went to Calgary, AB Canada (not sure if they are still there, I would assume so).

Perhaps fierosound will verify.

Picture of both of them at the Calgary World of Wheels (if I am correct)

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 02-02-2016).]

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, its in California, some pictures of it in its current home were posted on facebook a few months ago.

Its owned by a gentleman that does mainly Mercedes restorations and owns many other prototypes.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 02-02-2016).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear it seems to e in good hands
There's a handful of fiero fbook groups, do you know which one or could you post the pics here? Or PM me if that makes more sense. Thanks!
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it was posted in the largest fiero group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204429635/ back in October
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was just a myth

It looks like a dam citation on the outside !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have sat in the back seat of that car. When I had the chance, figured I had to, since not many could say they've sat in the back seat of a Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious about the center console & quarter windows. Probably almost impossible to get. I wonder if cooling is more difficult. It would almost require power steering.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-03-2016).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The center console was interesting... had a second factory radio mounted for the rear.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And GTA trans am "E.T." seats! Still not enough room for a hot date to steam windows with. I'd have picked the two seater first anyway. Would love to know how hard it was to build the longer quarter windows.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 02-04-2016).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

it was posted in the largest fiero group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204429635/ back in October

Did he say what part of California he lived in? I'd like to get a hold of him and maybe stop by and snap a ton of photos.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to keep in mind this car was not a car even considered for production. It was a experiment only to see how the space frame could be used in a sedan or larger car.

As for the rear seat if anyone sat there getting in is not easy and for the most part if you have normal feel and legs it makes the back of a Camaro feel spacious. Lets just put it this way Lieutenant Dan from Forest Gump would have been comfortable.

For those not familiar with the car it stated out as a notch back and standard nose and was converted to a GT later. At one time the rear windows wrapped into the roof.

So if you see photo's of another 4 seat notch it is the same car.

I know most of you know but so often I see some one new not knowing and thinking there are more than one.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 02-04-2016).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pictures of when it was a notchie? I found one on Google and the link went to a board on here, but it was referred to as the "Stretch Concept" looks more like a limo almost.

Any idea on how long this car was? I know its long compared to a standard Fiero, but what about in comparison to other cars, because it just looks LONG!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, hyperv6. I'd seen the other pics and wondered.

This car looks about 2 feet longer than a Fiero would normally be. Basically, the distance between the back of the door window and where the quarter window would start. Think of that. 2 feet for a person to sit. Isn't your femur longer than that?

As far as the space frame goes, I can't really see this as a convertible. I'd expect a lot of frame flex. The ride would probably be...interesting.
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was looking at the photos on the link and the only photo I wish it had was how much feet room for the rear passengers,
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
As far as the space frame goes, I can't really see this as a convertible. I'd expect a lot of frame flex. The ride would probably be...interesting.

Depends... if it was built to be a convertible, it would be fine. Cutting the top off... different story (I have owned a convertible fiero).
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

Any pictures of when it was a notchie? I found one on Google and the link went to a board on here, but it was referred to as the "Stretch Concept" looks more like a limo almost.

Any idea on how long this car was? I know its long compared to a standard Fiero, but what about in comparison to other cars, because it just looks LONG!

That's the one he's talking about up top.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-04-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

That's the one he's talking about up top.

The bottom car is a clay of the 1990 coupe. I have one of the nose badges like the one shown here.
This was the car to get the Quad 4. The rear pillars were see through Plexiglas or were planned to be. Here they may be solid since it was a clay. . The mules had plexi.

The stretch car may not have had much flex. If it was built tight it should have been as solid as the coupe.

The Convertible conversions depend on the engineering they received. Some were better than others but like any open top car including the T tops you lose some rigidity.

Today cars like the Camaro and Corvette are designed first as a convertible but even they still have a little more flex and more weight. Today cars structures tied with the roof. Not only is the roof a support agent but the windows play a major part putting stiffness in the platform. Take a windshield out of a car today and the roof loses much of the support.

They glue in the windshield and rear windows as they do for two reasons. One Airbags. It gives the bag something to press off of when it inflates. The other reason it adds support to the roof. Even if the windshield breaks it helps add support.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

I have sat in the back seat of that car. When I had the chance, figured I had to, since not many could say they've sat in the back seat of a Fiero.

I did the same thing at the 20th show.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The bottom car is a clay of the 1990 coupe. I have one of the nose badges like the one shown here.
This was the car to get the Quad 4. The rear pillars were see through Plexiglas or were planned to be. Here they may be solid since it was a clay. . The mules had plexi.

I remember seeing some pictures, poor quality pictures, of the 90 coupe prototype in grey. They were pictures of it shortly before it got destroyed. I assume that car wasn't the one pictured above right?

Found one of the pictures. Looking at it, it's actually 2 of them in a row possibly 3. Low quality makes it hard to tell but the one furthest away in front of it looks to have the same lights placement and general shape.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-04-2016).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the one in front:

And the front ends:
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome IMSA! So the one in the back of the first photo I did has the luggage rack while the one in the front and middle has a spoiler. The spoiler on those was set back pretty far in comparison to the 84-88. Looks like they might have been the Stealth Wing stand type of idea. Weren't you making those at one time?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2016 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like they might have been the Stealth Wing stand type of idea. Weren't you making those at one time?

Yeah back in the day, but Pontiac didn't like the idea too much

But to answer your question...yes I did.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-05-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I remember seeing some pictures, poor quality pictures, of the 90 coupe prototype in grey. They were pictures of it shortly before it got destroyed. I assume that car wasn't the one pictured above right?

Found one of the pictures. Looking at it, it's actually 2 of them in a row possibly 3. Low quality makes it hard to tell but the one furthest away in front of it looks to have the same lights placement and general shape.

Yes these are the running mules but the one in the other photo is a clay model and not a real running car. It was done in clay long before these others were built.

Note when they are on a table like this in a studio and there is no glass just black paint or Mylar that it is a clay model. That is also why you can not see through the pillar windows either. The table is not only to level the car but also to give them a way to move it. GM will take these to the court yard at the tech center to get natural light on the cars and rotate them to see how they look our of the studio. You have seen many photo's there as it is a brick court yard.

they also have a large hall under the tech center dome. It is very advanced today with a lot of special lighting and effects. You may have seen it in the last Transformers movie as they had a autobot fight there. The Tech Center is an amazing place and it is a sad so few people ever get inside. Even those that work there are limited to where they can go.

So you have three running mules and one clay model that is not one of the other cars.

Yes the three were done away with.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed someting. Look at not just the seats, but the headrests. I noticed the rear headrest first, but look at the front headrest. Where did that come from?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-08-2016).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 2+2 starts at 1:41 and they look at the headrests at 2:09.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the best of my knowledge the seats were based on the early 90's seats used in the Trans Am. Keep in mind when this car was built many items were carried over to the 4th gen F body.

Now the headrest were never production. GM had played around with the seats and changed headrest from time to time but these were prototypes that never went production.
PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The headrest back seats actually made production for the 700 1986 Notchback Trans Am GTAs.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fred I forgot about those. Yes they did have them.

I only ever saw two of the notchbacks here in town.

That is a real rare car compared to so many that people like to claim is rare.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Nice Vid! I never got to see that stuff in person.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I thought RAREW66 owned the 3rd Indy Pace Car. This video says it was crushed. Is the video wrong? What car did they crush if not #3 ?

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That occurred to me, also, but lots of vehicles that were ”crushed” are still around.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I thought RAREW66 owned the 3rd Indy Pace Car. This video says it was crushed. Is the video wrong? What car did they crush if not #3 ?

RAREw66 owns the one that became the PPG Cart Series pacecar.
Helpful thread:
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...2836&style=printable

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

At the time this video was made, we did not have confirmation and the research complete to know that the PPG Pace Car is Indy #3. It was not until 2007 that we gained access to the car in it's glass enclosure at the Chicago Science and Industry Museum to research and document the car. So, up until 2007, all we had was rumors and speculation as to where Indy #3 went. It did not help that the documentation that GM supplied with the car to the museum was in complete error. I looked at about a half dozen Indy Fieros that were supposedly the lost pace car to find that they were not. The rumor that Indy #3 was crushed came from old FOCOA folklore from the 80's; being the Fiero authority at the time, we figured it must be true. I feel somewhat fortunate that most did not realize that the car was an actual pace car when it went to auction or the price may have gone higher than it did.

Fred
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

At the time this video was made, we did not have confirmation and the research complete to know that the PPG Pace Car is Indy #3. It was not until 2007 that we gained access to the car in it's glass enclosure at the Chicago Science and Industry Museum to research and document the car. So, up until 2007, all we had was rumors and speculation as to where Indy #3 went. It did not help that the documentation that GM supplied with the car to the museum was in complete error. I looked at about a half dozen Indy Fieros that were supposedly the lost pace car to find that they were not. The rumor that Indy #3 was crushed came from old FOCOA folklore from the 80's; being the Fiero authority at the time, we figured it must be true. I feel somewhat fortunate that most did not realize that the car was an actual pace car when it went to auction or the price may have gone higher than it did.

Fred

Lets not forget the 4th pace car you guys found at the speedway that was the prototype we did not know about for years. The one with the Turbo OHC engine.

Fred I think that was one of the greatest finds you had.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock