Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anone know anything about this 88 GT for sale ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anone know anything about this 88 GT for sale ? by California Kid
Started on: 01-29-2016 12:02 PM
Replies: 12 (351 views)
Last post by: john-t-b on 01-30-2016 10:11 AM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a friend looking for information on this car:

http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/5367685922.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$3000 for a Fiero that requires a clutch, eh? Yeah, I know it's an '88 GT... but still.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

$3000 for a Fiero that requires a clutch, eh? Yeah, I know it's an '88 GT... but still.

Leather seats, paint looks good, a little over 100,000 miles. This car would be listed at $5,000 in my state.

The engine picture was blurry, but it looks a bit beat up. Installing a clutch shouldn't be too bad, and you could easily resell it for more.

IDK, 3K seems pretty fair.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Installing a clutch shouldn't be too bad...

Yeah, not too bad for those of us who've done it ourselves previously.

However, I wonder what a reputable shop would charge (parts and labor) to do the job?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-29-2016).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, not too bad for those of us who've done it ourselves previously.

However, I wonder what a reputable shop would charge (parts and labor) to do the job?

Ask about the flat rate book charge for the repair, they are not always right, sometimes in ether direction price wise. A good mechanic can do something's in say 1/2 or 2/3rd the time while one not familiar with the car model can take more. It can be a double edged sword but it at least gives you and idea of what it might cost if you go with it.

http://www.napaonline.com/C...86%2b50060%2b2060010

There are many flat rate books out there, some good some bad some right, some wrong. I got a free demo for one one time and looked a a repair I was very familiar with.

The heater core on a 77 LTD II.

The book said 3 hours, the repair actually takes 10 min. I know I have done it in that amount of time or less.

This was the manual if you want to try it out for free. but seeing they were so far off on the LTD I had I wonder how far off they would be on a Fiero?

http://www.laborguide.net/realtimelaborguide.html

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-29-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cosmetically, I wish I had this car. Look at the things it DOESN'T need. At least that's how I see it. And hey, it's Craigslist. Needs a clutch? Maybe it needs new hydraulics rather than the actual clutch. Never trust a seller to be so sure of what's really wrong with a car unless it includes estimate paperwork from a decent shop. I would certainly pay $4k for an 88 that doesn't need paint. So $3k + max of $1k for clutch, if it really needs it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

...max of $1k for clutch

So, do you actually believe a professional shop would install a new clutch in a Fiero for a max of $1k in total? I have my doubts!
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very fortunate in that my mechanic handles my Fiero problems very quickly, likely in a fraction of the time that most jobs demand. We have discussed cradle dropping and clutch replacements and have agreed that a clutch job would be less than a grand (I have an 86 4 speed and an 87 5 speed). This is with me sourcing parts and avoiding markups, at the same time as me sourcing performance upgrades and wasting money when stock replacement would probably suffice. I would guess that there is a balance between the two, and outside of demographics, a clutch job really shouldn't cost more unless you're buying an outrageous clutch kit. At 10 hours and $100 for a stock replacement, I feel a grand is sufficient. Perhaps I'm just lucky?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm very fortunate in that my mechanic handles my Fiero problems very quickly, likely in a fraction of the time that most jobs demand. We have discussed cradle dropping and clutch replacements and have agreed that a clutch job would be less than a grand (I have an 86 4 speed and an 87 5 speed).

So... he hasn't actually done one then? That might make a difference.

This is with me sourcing parts and avoiding markups...

See, you're already trying to change the scenario. I still say a professional shop is going to charge more than $1000 (parts and labor) to install a new clutch in a Fiero.

I'm fortunate that a buddy and I have been able to do the job a couple of times ourselves to our Fieros. It's the only way to guarantee it'll be done properly!
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has, in fact, done clutch jobs on Fieros. The kind of mechanic that doesn't need to reference shopkey or manuals to do jobs. The resources are there in his mind in a neurotic kind of way, and we're both of a mind to think outside the box. Me, at 32, and him, at 62, often engage in theoretical repairs, their standard course of action, and what we can do to make it faster and more reliable. The latest involving 2.8 exhaust manifold replacement including full cat-back replacement. Very pleased at progress in short time on that procedure. Our biggest hitch there was manifold gasket sourcing, as opposed to bolt/stud snapping that most seem to suffer. As much as I work on my own cars, I'm thankful for this forum to persuade me when certain jobs require the finesse and expertise of someone who has been improvising for over 40 years with tools a good number of us never knew existed. That being said, knowing a good mechanic is truly a blessing in the same way being a member of this forum is!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That being said, knowing a good mechanic is truly a blessing...

If you've found yourself an honest competent mechanic in your area who's more than fair with his fees, consider yourself very fortunate. Most of us have never met one!
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that price is entirely reasonable for that car, especially if it is not a rust bucket. It is very hard to find a car up here (or the US rust belt) that has not been ruined by being driven in salt and snow, and this car appears to be in great shape. I would much rather buy a rust free car that needs a clutch or motor, than a rusty one that doesn't need a clutch or motor.

john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price sounds ok to me.

I would go look at it and hear it run (he claims it runs great). If it does then start negotiating. You will be buying a car you can't test drive to find "other issues".

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock