oil pan and a borescope by jim94
Started on: 01-23-2016 02:16 PM
Replies: 22 (448 views)
Last post by: Adjustso3 on 01-26-2016 01:10 AM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did a water pump I pulled my timing cover off too. Something metal fell in my oil pan. My brother in law is lending me his borescope so I can see what dropped in without removing the oil pan. My timing chain looks OK. Let the fishing begin. I seen it sitting on the oil pan rubber and tryed to grab it , then I heard a metal to metal sound.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
year make and model of engine at least if not car would be of a lot of help. as well as what you need from us, or is this just an informative, how I messed up thread?

If it is some metal object just use a recovery magnet.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-23-2016).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 v-6
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might also jack up the car in such a way that the drain hole is the lowest point and you can hope the object moves to or comes out of the drain hole when you drain the oil (which you might want to do while it's cold so the increased viscosity might help to push the object along. I have a magnetic drain plug in mine. If your results do not produce the object, you might want to purchase one and hope the object gets snagged during your future driving/cornering.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

You might also jack up the car in such a way that the drain hole is the lowest point and you can hope the object moves to or comes out of the drain hole when you drain the oil (which you might want to do while it's cold so the increased viscosity might help to push the object along. I have a magnetic drain plug in mine. If your results do not produce the object, you might want to purchase one and hope the object gets snagged during your future driving/cornering.

That will only work if the part that fell in there is small enough to fit through that small drain plug hole. it could be anything from a metal tab to a bolt, the bolt might fit but anything larger might not.

Steve
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had that problem with Cummins diesels when pulling the front covers. If what dropped was steel you should be able to fish it out with an extendable magnet .
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the timing chain guide. It's possible that a piece broke off of that. (It's metal with plastic guides molded to the edges, IIRC. Should be pretty much symmetrical, from one side to the other.) Held in place by two bolts.

You might try draining the oil and then fishing around in the pan with one of those telescoping magnets. (They work great when you drop a manifold bolt down an intake port. Don't ask how I know this. )

Edit - tebailey beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-24-2016).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have a magnetic drain plug in the pan. I have not scoped yet .it's too cold in my garage and its Florida too.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

it's too cold in my garage and its Florida too.

Wimp.

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Wimp.

THAT was funny
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

THAT was funny

Heh heh... well you know, we were all thinking that.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Wimp.

PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cold in Florida??? Try the north country, any thing above zero this time of the year here is a heat wave!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Cold in Florida??? Try the north country, any thing above zero this time of the year here is a tropical heat wave!

There fixed that for you.

I grabbed a wrench in the shop the other day and it stuck to my hand, I had to put my hand in front of the torpedo heater I was using to be able to let go of it.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-25-2016).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am use too 90 degrees not 50. I had built racecars in a heated and air-conditioning in n.j. but when you get use to heat , 70 feel's cold in Florida. Been here for 20yrs. OK I borescoped the pool pan and see something and it looks brass or copper. Time to go to harbor freight for a flexible grabber tool. I need to call my back surgeon for an extraction. He has been in my back 6 times.he he. Thanks for all the support, I need it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need to call my back surgeon for an extraction. He has been in my back 6 times.he he.

Do a trade. With the borescope you can give him a colonoscopy.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is turning me into an ass though. My last operation took 14 hrs. Apparently faster than I can fix my car
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A big piece of gasket fell in . I sucked it out with an attachment from the vacuum cleaner and a clear vinal hose while the camera was looking in guiding me. It's almost 70 today so after I am done with laundry the radiator is getting remover for cleaning. I have all new hoses going on too. Looks like I am not going to make the Rolex 24 this year. Any recommendations on what to put in the radiator other than water.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear.. sounds about right, with the gasket piece.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any recommendations on what to put in the radiator other than water.

I'm just curious... is water all you've used previously?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94: Any recommendations on what to put in the radiator other than water.

Do I presume correctly that you put 50/50 anti-freeze in your racing engines for the corrosion inhibitors and to raise the boiling point?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:
Do I presume correctly that you put 50/50 anti-freeze in your racing engines for the corrosion inhibitors and to raise the boiling point?

I run 50/50 in all my vehicles when I lived in TN, up here I try to keep it closer to 75/25 anti/water.

I would think if you are going to race this car you would want the higher boiling point and not use just plain water?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-25-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
50/50 should be good for Florida. Any brand recommendations
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a 50/50 mix up here in NY and it really gets cold here. Always used Prestone and never had a problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock