Tire question - I don't want crushed coolant pipes by robert1234
Started on: 01-23-2016 09:08 AM
Replies: 28 (884 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 02-09-2016 10:20 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I need tires for my GT, should I
1) Remove all 4 and take the tires in or
2) Take the car in and make them aware of the the coolant pipes. This one scares me.

What do you do when needing tires?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where do you plan to go for tires? A lot of it depends on the shop. If you bring the actual car in make sure you inform the salesman as well as who will be installing the wheels. Not sure how close you are to one, but Discount Tire is a very reputable shop and I'd suggest going there if possible. I know they have locations around Nashville, not sure about where you are. Very well trained staff and you can request one of the managers there to oversee the install themselves to ensure it's lifted properly.

I worked at Discount for 2 years during grad school and can attest to how great of a company they are.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you have to do is mention 'coolant tubes' (a term they likely have never heard) and the staff should invite you to show them where to lift the car. They don't want the liability.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-23-2016).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned above it depends on the shop.
I took the paper with lifting points in when I was going to have my exhaust welded up and the manager placed it on the toolbox.
I had a bad feeling about the guys in the shop so I stuck by the glass door watching them.
Sure enough they started to lift it by the plastic rockers before I stopped them.

On the other hand I used a Firestone to get a lifetime alignment and told the service writer that it had coolant tubes and when the tech came in the service writer started to tell him where to lift it and before he was done the tech said "what do you think I`m going to do, crush the coolant tubes"
So he was well aware of what to watch for on a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 01-23-2016).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I take my car in for service I print a couple of copies of the 'jack points' and give one to the service writer and tape one to the dash. So far so good.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it ain't hard to mess up a lot of things under a Fiero, I take mine to a friend with a lift and help him place the arms where they are supposed to be and I have set the right rear arm so close to the muffler pipe on that side I dented it myself, not bad but that dent rusted and I had to replace that section of pipe after a few years, and that only ever happened once.

When I take any vehicle in for a safety inspection I am always in the bay when they lift it up, all it takes is for someone to put the lift arm in the wrong place and they can damage the car/truck I even had one slip at the last inspection when he just started to lift it. the arm slipped and the truck dropped a little and I yelled, "STOP" told him the arm slipped and he put it back down and put it back in place and off he went with the inspection, now think about that happening when it was up high !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we should paint our coolant lines bright red
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the chart...I sure need that.

LOL, yeah, paint them super bright red would be good.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I used to take my car in for tires/alignment, I don't let the car out of my sight. I am right at the bay door right behind my car always, when the guy comes out with the jack I just tell him where to jack, and they say thanks, most of the time, as they get two tires at a time. But never let it out of your site.

I knew a guy who used to work for a GM dealer, and worked on Fieros during the 80s, but his attitude was "just kick the lift legs under the car" then lift the car, he probably crushed a few tubes in his day The moral here is, you can't trust places(No matter what big name place) unless you know the person themselves or you know they know Fieros.

If you have the means, just take in the four rims/tires, then you are sure nothing will happen. (Providing you know where to jack the car without crushing the tubes )
Plus that way you can check for sticky weights on the inside of the rim, alot(most) of places don't check and put on outside weights, so you end up with 2 sets of weights. If you see any let them know beforehand.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

As mentioned above it depends on the shop.
I took the paper with lifting points in when I was going to have my exhaust welded up and the manager placed it on the toolbox.
I had a bad feeling about the guys in the shop so I stuck by the glass door watching them.
Sure enough they started to lift it by the plastic rockers before I stopped them.

If I saw a shop about to lift my car by the plastic rockers I would demand my keys back and leave immediately.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've decided to take the tires off and take them in. I'm not going to risk it.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

If I saw a shop about to lift my car by the plastic rockers I would demand my keys back and leave immediately.

I have one that a Pontiac dealer lifted by the rockers. Broke both of them. "Naw!, We didn't do that" according to the previous owner.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

Maybe we should paint our coolant lines bright red

fluorescent orange !

And use another color and paint all the jacking points that color.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here the biggest, clear pic of the jacking points I could find - Prints Better

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take ALL my tires and wheels to the dealer in my van. I dont let ANYONE bolt my wheels on any of my vehicles except the RV. I just dont mess with semi-truck wheels myself. I could write a magazine on stories of my dealings with tire mounters.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree.
Thank you fierosound ! I can print that one on color laser and laminate it.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys got so focused on jacking points, you forgot two other things tire shops do that is less damaging but still very annoying!
1) air guns that are set at rediculous torque settings!
2) putting/leaving WAY too much air in them thar tires! (I swear many them just go off the side of the tires.
Kit
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

I agree.
Thank you fierosound ! I can print that one on color laser and laminate it.

x2 - thank you! This is a much better copy than the one I had. +1 for you!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

You guys got so focused on jacking points, you forgot two other things tire shops do that is less damaging but still very annoying!
1) air guns that are set at rediculous torque settings!
2) putting/leaving WAY too much air in them thar tires! (I swear many them just go off the side of the tires.
Kit

Any halfway decent shop should be using torque limiters on the air wrenches and torque wrenches for the final torque. If they are not, then you need to find another shop.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

I've decided to take the tires off and take them in. I'm not going to risk it.

That's what I do. I try to limit as much as I can the damage that other people can do to my cars. I often wish I had the equipment to mount and balance my own tires!
ZarZ

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZarZSend a Private Message to ZarZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming that on a 88 Fiero the jack point on rear suspension are a no no. I use the cradle
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just one more recommendation for Discount Tire. The last time I took my Fiero to them for new tires, I mentioned the possibility of damaging the coolant tubes. The sales rep asked me to go out into the shop and show the technician exactly where to place the lift pads, which I did. They also use torque limiting extensions on the impact gun and do the final torque with an actual torque wrench. I've never had a problem with over tightened lug nuts or tire pressures being out of line. Great customer service.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Here the biggest, clear pic of the jacking points I could find - Prints Better

I see one problem with this pic. Look at the red spots (vehicle jack). It is NOT clear that those are pointing to the ridge on the frame...not the rocker, and not the coolant tube bracket that is directly behind it. Is it really the mechanic's fault when they lift it by the rocker after giving them a copy of this?

Personally, nobody lifts my car without me verifying the lift points first. If they won't allow me to be in the bay when you are lifting it, I will take my business elsewhere.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

I see one problem with this pic. Look at the red spots (vehicle jack). It is NOT clear that those are pointing to the ridge on the frame...not the rocker,
and not the coolant tube bracket that is directly behind it. Is it really the mechanic's fault when they lift it by the rocker after giving them a copy of this?

Maybe this is better

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Just one more recommendation for Discount Tire. The last time I took my Fiero to them for new tires, I mentioned the possibility of damaging the coolant tubes. The sales rep asked me to go out into the shop and show the technician exactly where to place the lift pads, which I did. They also use torque limiting extensions on the impact gun and do the final torque with an actual torque wrench. I've never had a problem with over tightened lug nuts or tire pressures being out of line. Great customer service.

Last Spring I went to Discount Tire for new tires and told them about the coolant tubes. They informed me that they lift on the outside where the car jack lifts on a Fiero. I watched it and sure enough they lifted on that rail? Also the long pads were it lifts the car were carpeted. I also mentioned not to torque more than 100ft lbs. They told me they have extensions that will torque to that. I was impressed with the lift they used.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a horrible pic of where to put jack points/stands.
That pic shows to put the stands on the tailpipes, on the part of the cradle that is angled and the front frame that is angled.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2016 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

That is a horrible pic of where to put jack points/stands.
That pic shows to put the stands on the tailpipes, on the part of the cradle that is angled and the front frame that is angled.

I don't think it shows using the tail pipes as jack stand or jacking point, yes it is a crappy picture but if you look close the top pink block is on the frame rail and seeing I have never seen duel exhaust that were both on the side on any Fiero. Now I could be mistaken but that is sure what it looks like to me, its probably just a bad drawing, because lets face it is just a drawing not a photo of where the places a jack stand placed. I think it is correct because that is where the other frame rail would be not a second tail pipe.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-28-2016).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love Discount Tire as much as anyone, but I went once and they had jacked up my 88 GT by the floor pans instead of the frame. (But they did follow directions and not get the coolant pipes) So, it more than just pipes to watch out for. My car was tetering back and forth from the engine side because the heavier engine weight. When they finished, my passenger floor was bubbled up like a Firebird passenger floorboard.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its a car I care about I take the wheels off the car and bring them in loose to be mounted and balanced. And tell them to balance with stick on weights inside the ring of the rim so they dont mess up the face.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-09-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock