Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What muffler is everyone using on their GT's?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What muffler is everyone using on their GT's? by robert1234
Started on: 01-12-2016 07:46 PM
Replies: 32 (1152 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-19-2016 05:15 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need opinions.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what they say about opinions don't you?
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Flowmaster, which I purchased from West Coast Fieros. However, I hear that the Spintech is comparable.
Check both manufacturers to see which one is a direct fit. At the time I purchased the FM, it was adapted for the Fiero by WCF. I've read some negative reviews of WCF, which is why I recommend you contact the manufacturers first. WCF does not have a very good reputation for delivery and consumer relations.
bb
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, everyone has one !
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have TFS Ocelot V6 exhaust on one of my 88GTs. No complaints on sound or price...very reasonable.
The exhaust is louder, but not annoying.

Fitting the exhaust can be a little tricky as you new to move it around before tightening the middle section.

I painted the exhaust before-hand with VHT manifold paint. Make sure once you receive the exhaust that
it is clean before painting it. Two cans should be enough. The exhaust needs to be room temperature, and dry in
room temperature too for best results.

You'll need to weld on the muffler hangers on the new Ocelot exhaust from your original GM exhaust.
The Ocelot doesn't have it.

Walker is not bad, and will have the closest sound to a stock fiero exhaust system.

I have no experience with the spin-tech exhaust that west coast fiero sells.
The borla V6 exhaust was available 15 years ago as they made a special production run.
It was made from stainless steel that would out last the car, like the Borla would say...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's sound you are looking consider removing the muffler and just keep your cat.
It sounds the same as stock just throatier and a bit louder. I have this on my 87 gt v6

On my ls4 Fiero I have no cat or no muffler, it's LOUD though

Good luck
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Borla complete catback exhaust, muffler and tips.

Been out of production for a decade perhaps, but they pop up in the mall every so often.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really liked the sound of my Walker stock replacement muffler assembly with a 17" glasspack installed in place of the cat. Very little to no drone with a very noticeable and pleasing exhaust tone. Fairly easy to install and very affordable too. Nice option to consider for a daily driver. Otherwise... Spintech all the way.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 01-12-2016).]

Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently has a Flowmaster, appears to be a stand 40, but not correct for the Fiero and only a single exhaust. Installed by PO with no cat and very "buzzy" I ordered a Spin Tech from WCF and got it quick enough. Appears to be well made and the mod looks good but won't be able to comment on the stock fit due to the exhaust relocation with the 3800 conversion. Having it installed this week so we'll see.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 sc3 using the spintech with flowmaster cat all the exhaust is run across the engine like the stock fiero setup and is nice and quiet so no cops think differently that I have an engine swap.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, great information. Thanks
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never replaced a Fiero muffler in my life. I guess it's an east coast rust thing?
Personally, I would get a factory muffler at at local PNP rather than aftermarket. Muffler quality is going to be guaranteed with a factory muffler.
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 01-13-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the Ocelot system on my 87 GT for a few years.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using a Spintech when the LS4 goes in though.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Personally, I would get a factory muffler at at local PNP rather than aftermarket.

That's exactly what I did when the factory muffler in my '86 GT started making an obnoxious "waap waap waap" noise at a certain idle RPM. Picked up a GT exhaust from the cat back at the wreckers for next to nothing. She now purrs again.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 has the Ocelot exhaust, from the fierostore, with a free flowing Shuttleworth muffler.
It sounds pretty darn good, has a nice burbling sound at idle, louder than stock, but not obnoxious.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a "vacuum driven, centrifugal, muffling device" IE turbo... oh and resonator tips, no CAT, sounds great, but a DEEP low sound.

Now on my Quad 4 with just resonator tips, and CAT, just too loud to the point I had to block off one of them to quite it down.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best V6 Fiero sound I ever heard was a cammed 3.4 through a Fiero Store Ocelot system.
Sounds good even with a cat. Sounds amazing without a cat.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

My 88 has the Ocelot exhaust, from the fierostore, with a free flowing Shuttleworth muffler.
It sounds pretty darn good, has a nice burbling sound at idle, louder than stock, but not obnoxious.

Never heard of that brand of muffler. Their crossflow is 4.5" x 11" oval x 14.75 body
Catalog Page 52 http://www.shuttleworthexha...0VERSION%201_new.pdf

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Borla cat back on both my GTs installed 15 years ago which are no longer available.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Never heard of that brand of muffler. Their crossflow is 4.5" x 11" oval x 14.75 body
Catalog Page 52 http://www.shuttleworthexha...0VERSION%201_new.pdf

I double checked, that is the name the Fiero store is using. http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=54403

Here's the detail info from the Fiero Store

85-88 V6 Ocelot Performance Cat-Back Exhaust
Installing an Ocelot system on your car will allow it to breathe better by reducing back pressure. You will notice a deeper, richer tone as well as improved fuel economy. The system is made from 2" aluminized pipe leading into a custom built, free flow Shuttleworth muffler. Includes GT style megaphone style tips and clamps. Part # 54403 TIPS

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-14-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never bothered to worry about whether "Shuttleworth" was a brand name or a type/design.
I just like the way they sound. Never have heard the stainless version, though. A bit rich for my blood.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-14-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert1234, this is in the mall right now //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073353.html

V6 Ocelot Performance Cat-Back Exhaust and a High Performance steel V6 Catalytic Converter

He's got it listed at a good price w/ free shipping.
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 GT with 2" exhaust going through a cat and Flowmaster 40.

http://vid1105.photobucket....ight_zpskttgbyhc.mp4
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero has the Ocelot cat-back exhaust for the V6. The exhaust sound is similar to a stock muffler, but more aggressive.

For a short time, I had a "bullet" style glass-pack muffler on the Fiero. I hated it. It sounded really nasty, and had this annoying "buzzy" noise above 3000 RPM.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one's posted an audio clip or video of what their Fiero sounds like with the engine under load. IMO, that makes a huge difference with how the exhaust system actually sounds.

Not a GT, but this is my 5-spd Formula at autocross. Basically a stock 2.8 with 1.6 roller-tip rockers, ported exhaust manifolds, OEM cat, OEM muffler.

... Click 1 ... Click 2

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-18-2016).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone...
Patrick, that sounds nice. I like it
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Patrick, that sounds nice. I like it.

Thanks Robert. I get lots of compliments at the autocross pad as well.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any recent recordings of the engine. But the exhaust hasn't changed much in several years.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I don't have any recent recordings of the engine. But the exhaust hasn't changed much in several years...

Blacktree, I love the sound of the idle on your 3.4 engine.

Your second video seems a bit squished sideways. (Upon closer inspection, I guess they're both squished a bit.) If it's supposed to be presented in 16:9, go into Edit for your video on YouTube and paste the following into the Tags box. It'll be fixed right up.

yt:stretch=16:9

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-18-2016).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they got squished during the video capture. The camera recorded in 16:9, but I think it got converted to 4:3 somewhere along the way.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blacktree, the second video looks good now presented in 16:9

Did you decide not to add the formatting tag to the first video as well?
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh hey, it worked! Guess I'll change the other one, too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Oh hey, it worked!

What... you doubted my word?

Yeah, that looks a lot better now!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay