Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone bought a Fiero through Copart.com?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone bought a Fiero through Copart.com? by David Hambleton
Started on: 01-06-2016 09:27 PM
Replies: 11 (405 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 01-09-2016 12:52 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some on the website now; some of the 'retail values' seem a little optimistic...

http://www.copart.com/us/se...4-1988%2CPONT%2CFIER O%2C
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some are basket cases, this one looks interesting......

robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm watching the yellow 88.....I had a friend that bought from copart, went through hell with it.

Angellightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Ferrari rebody has been on there for quite a while. Multiple auction "cycles".
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably know this better than I, but just in case, there are some pretty steep fees associated with a copart purchase. Expect to pay between $400-$1000 over the auction price.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Angellightning:

That Ferrari rebody has been on there for quite a while. Multiple auction "cycles".

Yeah, that happens at CoPart when the car is on minimun bid (as this one is) or reserve, I haven't bought any Fiero's from them but I have picked up 2 Silverado p-u's and currently have a bid on a C5 Vette (auction goes live tomorrow) and am watching a couple of C6 Grand Sport's.

Check out the various fees involved, they can add up fast and there is transport costs as well if you have to have it shipped, another CoPart quirk is a charge for "unsecured" funds ie credit cards, and they don't currently take cards from Citi, Chase, Discover and Bank of America, Dealing with them is a bit like brain damage...

Just my 2 cents worth. Joe
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a Copart about 15 miles from here. AFAIK this company sells cars that have been totaled, repossessed, or damaged. They had an 88 T-Top that was submerged during hurricane Sandy and that one sold quickly. I pity the guy that purchased it as even if he did not know it, he got the shaft. Salt water in all the frame openings and in everything else has or will kill the car in short order. Point is to use caution when dealing with a shady outfit like this. Also whoever does their appraisals is either very ignorant or has a substance abuse problem. The Fiero in the first post was appraised at $39,500. Really now?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-08-2016).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There is a Copart about 15 miles from here. AFAIK this company sells cars that have been totaled, repossessed, or damaged. They had an 88 T-Top that was submerged during hurricane Sandy and that one sold quickly. I pity the guy that purchased it as even if he did not know it, he got the shaft. Salt water in all the frame openings and in everything else has or will kill the car in short order. Point is to use caution when dealing with a shady outfit like this. Also whoever does their appraisals is either very ignorant or has a substance abuse problem. The Fiero in the first post was appraised at $39,500. Really now?

Yeah, CoPart is a salvage auction company, the listing will detail if the car is a flood car, If salt water is involved, it's a parts car. and the estimated values and repair costs seem to be pulled from their azz...

Joe
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you mind walking me through a Copart purchase? More than once over the years I've almost bid on cars they have, but I really don't have a grasp of the process or the fees. I have bought from auctions before so I have an understanding, but never online. My biggest question is really what happens when you win - do you have to rocket down there and pick it up, or will they hold it? Do you have to be present? If a 3rd party is picking it up, what has to be done in advance?

There is a Copart just a few miles from me (and an IAAI) and another just a few miles from my MIL. If it's not a huge PITA to retrieve cars, there could be some good opportunities there.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Co Part and IAA or virtually the same.

If you are selling the car through them they charge about 10% and The buyer also pays 10%.
Fees may have changed in the last few years but that is what they have been for the 20 years I been doing business with these lower grade auction houses.

Cars are predominantly insurance company pay out recovery. These are almost always salvage title or dismantler only.

A large portion of the UnWrecked ones are donation cars that are sold under contract for charities. These are fairly good cars that people donate because they won't smog or they won't sell for as much as the tax right off.
Sometimes they are fantastic with nothing wrong and simply a great donation. If they won't pass smog and safety then they are dealer only for clean title or dismantler with salvage and sometimes public when they smog/safety.

Three days grace to pick up vehicles and there are usually enforced restrictions on pick up.
Dealers must have dealer plate to drive off with vehicle otherwise trailor or tow out of yard.

All others must tow or trailer out of their yards. No drive offs.

Ignore the values they put in the descriptions. They are useless and no one cares about them.

Being my hobby I have purchased very many Fiero's over the years and have had great success.
They are not popular so little competition. Many times all they needed was a front nose or rear fascia.

I have also found this is a great way to get the drivetrains you are looking for very cheap and absolutely complete.
Sometimes purchasing just for the seats and wheels is well worth it. Especially since you still get the scrap value out of the rest and almost always there are parts to sell on eBay or craigslist.

Many car are tampered with so they wont start. Check the fuses and computer connections. Usually it is something simple.

Both co part and IAA have membership dues yearly.
You get a little card with your name and number. My IAA number is so old it is 513.
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the rundown,Pokey..

I have a larger aution yard close by.. Think it's called Co-Part?... Anyways, I should have done this years ago..
Something to think about...
Problem is, not many Fieros up this way that would even warrant getting as far as an auction block..
So many have fallen to rust, years and years ago...

If you notice all of the locations of the Fieros currently listed are from the Carolina's south and out west..

That yellow FORMULA listed in Tx. Is making me crazy!

Happy Fiero hunting, all 😎🍻
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They sold my friends stolen Fiero once, we showed up with the police with title in hand and somehow they had a paperwork too and would not release the car. I stay way away from that place.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock