Autocross guys-- step inside, class question by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 01-06-2016 06:59 PM
Replies: 7 (228 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-07-2016 10:54 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on racing my 87 GT this spring. With the mods that are currently on it (TFS handling kit 2, 17x7.5" wheels) it would put me in STR. Reading through the rules it talks about being able to replace suspension components with upgraded parts, but not altering the factory geometry. What does that mean for an 88 cradle swap? I know you have to relocate the strut mount points on the 87 in order to fit the 88 cradle, but that just means you maintain the factory geometry of the 88. My local club isn't the most responsive or helpful on these things, and to be honest, I think I could probably get away with running whatever class I taped to the side of the car-- but I'm not a dirty lying liarface cheating scoundrel.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

I think I could probably get away with running whatever class I taped to the side of the car-- but I'm not a dirty lying liarface cheating scoundrel.

I wouldn't sweat the class. At our level it's all just for fun.

My '88 Formula is classed in STR... and looking at the competition in that category, I haven't got a hope of ever "winning" the class. Unless there's money on the line, I doubt it's critical what class our Fieros (stock or slightly modified) might be put in.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt any of the SCCA or other clubs tech people have a clue about Fieros! I doubt they even know there is a difference in suspensions and brakes. I bet I could take my 3800SC through tech and they wouldn't know that it wasn't a stock engine.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I wouldn't sweat the class. At our level it's all just for fun.

Agreed... but then again my fiero is in XP and isn't competitive... As long as I stay on the course and my times get progressively lower, I am happy! My goal for the next year or two is to get better wheels/tires and spend more time balancing out the setup.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Agreed... but then again my fiero is in XP and isn't competitive... As long as I stay on the course and my times get progressively lower, I am happy! My goal for the next year or two is to get better wheels/tires and spend more time balancing out the setup.

What's the problem? Too much power/torque for the wheels to handle?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...my fiero is in XP and isn't competitive

I wish my Fiero had the problems yours has!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:
What's the problem? Too much power/torque for the wheels to handle?

Several things
17/18 wheels and 275+ rear width with 200 tread wear tires
Stiffer springs (400/275 isn't stiff enough) to reduce body roll and then dial in proper sway bar settings.
A trick way to go from -0.5 degree rear camber to -2 or -3 and back again quickly and precisely so I can still drive it the 90 mile round trip to work daily in the summer and then autocross on the weekends with minimal setup time.
Power steering for a quicker ratio, when doing some 3S runs, it is a complete 180 turn around a cone and stock fiero steering ratio sucks for that.
Driver mod for better throttle modulation (382 whp on tap) and more fluid steering inputs.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Driver mod for better throttle modulation (382 whp on tap)...

I hate you.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock