Fiberglass masters, please help me. by B3mith
Started on: 01-02-2016 02:11 PM
Replies: 10 (474 views)
Last post by: B3mith on 01-11-2016 12:11 PM
B3mith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am building a custom dash in my 86 GT. I cut apart a dash to use as a guide and plan to use it like a base to build a 1 piece fiberglass dash. Looking for suggestions to fill the space and shape the dash in. At the moment I have foam sheets and was going to sand them down to the shape. Just wondering if theres a better way?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thing you can do to fill in gaps is to stretch cheesecloth across the opening, then saturate it with resin. After the resin hardens, you can build up fiberglass to flesh it in.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Another thing you can do to fill in gaps is to stretch cheesecloth across the opening, then saturate it with resin. After the resin hardens, you can build up fiberglass to flesh it in.

I don't know that I'd use cheesecloth, but any cotton fabric, flannel, or even spandex will work. Do a quick search on speaker cabinet fabrication. Fibreglast.com used to have a great forum, but I don't see it anymore.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-04-2016).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Suggestions bend and fold cardboard and use filler foam with aluminium foil. The foil is for after shaping so the fibreglass doesn't dissolve the foam.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 01-06-2016).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I don't know that I'd use cheesecloth, but any cotton fabric, flannel, or even spandex will work. Do a quick search on speaker cabinet fabrication. Fibreglast.com used to have a great forum, but I don't see it anymore.

Bob

Back when a friend and I did installs, he showed me the tricks and tips from the shop he worked at in Illinois. They used old t-shirts to stretch around forms for custom door pods and such soaking them in resin and then applying fiberglass mat and body filler to smooth out for final shaping. So I agree with RCR having done it many times myself since way back when. I used to have all the N.A.M.E. videos on VHS at one time also and that's what they did as well.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-06-2016).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Bob

Stretchy is good but not too stretchy. Fleece works great.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about using fleece, but I'm not sure how well it will make the shape I want. My plans is to use theses pieces as a mold to pull a full fiberglass copy from. So end product is a 1 piece full fiberglass dash.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trick I learned for making forms for a mold was using drywall compound to shape the curves. It's cheap, sands and shapes easy. Once you have the form shaped the way you want it, glass a mold over it.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was kind of in a hurry and used the first word that came to mind. Like mentioned above, a thin cloth that isn't too stretchy would be a good idea.

On my custom front end, I used speaker grille cloth to fill in a big gap. I stretched it across the opening, and taped it in place. Then I soaked it with epoxy resin. After the resin hardened, I trimmed off the excess cloth, and built up fiberglass on it. See photos below:

The wood was just a form for the fiberglass. It isn't part of the body panel.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

The trick I learned for making forms for a mold was using drywall compound to shape the curves. It's cheap, sands and shapes easy. Once you have the form shaped the way you want it, glass a mold over it.

I read that somewhere else too. That is my plan once I get the rough shape done.
B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

B3mith

59 posts
Member since Aug 2014

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was kind of in a hurry and used the first word that came to mind. Like mentioned above, a thin cloth that isn't too stretchy would be a good idea.

On my custom front end, I used speaker grille cloth to fill in a big gap. I stretched it across the opening, and taped it in place. Then I soaked it with epoxy resin. After the resin hardened, I trimmed off the excess cloth, and built up fiberglass on it. See photos below:

I had thought about using fleece originally like they do in speaker boxes. ( I may have watched to much West Coast Customs TV show. LOL) Might be easier than the route I'm taking now. I actually like the idea of the speaker grill cloth.

[This message has been edited by B3mith (edited 01-11-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock