Improved site search function by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 12-31-2015 06:34 PM
Replies: 38 (563 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 01-05-2016 10:36 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The search engine on this site leaves something to be desired (to put it nicely). Some of you may already know this, but you can use Google to search PFF. All you need to do is add "site:www.Fiero.nl" to the end of the search. So say I wanted to search about a guy restoring fastback tail lights I would enter "fastback tail light restoration site:www.Fiero.nl" into the search bar.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
x2
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

The search engine on this site leaves something to be desired (to put it nicely).

What are the problems you are experiencing? I agree Google search is much better (that's why they are Google and I... well, am not) but the PFF search really isn't that bad. Problem is that not many people know how to use it.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11569 posts
Member since Jan 99
PS: when searching Google, leave out the "www." part.

So type:

ignition module problems site:fiero.nl
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The site search works as designed, but is difficult to find things as it seems to only search a limited criteria. I didn't mean this thread to be excessively negative on the forum, but I have always had trouble finding what I want in site search, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

What are the problems you are experiencing? I agree Google search is much better (that's why they are Google and I... well, am not) but the PFF search really isn't that bad. Problem is that not many people know how to use it.

Here is a good example, I just did a PFF search, specifying General chat, subject included, for the title of this thread:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-31-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not saying this is always the case, but in my experience here, the people complaining about the Search function at PFF have often left it in the default category to be searching through... rather than changing it to Entire Forum & Archives. Keywords and/or phrases chosen to search for are also critically important, and obviously leaving it in Subject/Username as opposed to choosing Entire thread severely limits results as well.

The only time I need to use Google to find something here is when I'm looking for a particular image.

EDIT: I'd like to be able to search to find out whom we get our ratings from. I don't think I've posted more than a handful of times in the last week (certainly nothing inflammatory IMO), I quit wasting time in O/T months ago, and yet I see I've just picked up a negative rating. Merry freakin' Christmas...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-31-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

EDIT: I'd like to be able to search to find out out whom we get our ratings from. I don't think I've posted more than a handful of times in the last week (certainly nothing inflammatory IMO), I quit wasting time in O/T months ago, and yet I see I've just picked up a negative rating. Merry freakin' Christmas...

I get the same thing. I haven't had a chance to post much recently yet I come on here last week and see a negative rating. I think old members are just creating new accounts strictly to give ratings and then abandoning their logon and creating new ones.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-31-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I think old members are just creating new accounts strictly to give ratings and then abandoning their logon and creating new ones.

Well... if that's the explanation, then these guys need to get a life.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It works great if you remember who started the thread, who replied, the thread title, or exact sentences. Used to be MUCH worse, MinnGreen used to be the only one who could use it.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How can you tell when you get a negative? How can search be used to find out where you got it?

Patrick, your posts were too far apart, or it was a blue moon, or the planets didn't line up. Here, 500 more negatives for you. Oh, heck. Let's not do it halfway. 500 million of them. J/k.

The search function on PFF is erratic. It seems to work OK for usernames, but not so well for titles; however, a thread I created didn't show for a while, even when searching entire forum.

Search algorithms are complex. Even with single word searches, you have binary vs string searches for case; regex expressions for similarities, position, mispellings, etc. Add another word, and you have to add inclusions/exclusions, order, preference, ordinality, etc. Search engines have indexed tables from their web crawling. Your search is against one or more tables in their database. Most other searches are live against actual data. In the case of PFF, it's odd, since the content should be on the same server as the search code. Perhaps there is a bit of a delay between the content and its searchability.

Yep. After posting this, I did a search by my username, and this wasn't among the results. A delay.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EDIT: I'd like to be able to search to find out whom we get our ratings from. I don't think I've posted more than a handful of times in the last week (certainly nothing inflammatory IMO), I quit wasting time in O/T months ago, and yet I see I've just picked up a negative rating. Merry freakin' Christmas...

Glad to see you bailed on OT. I haven't been near it to almost a year...and I feel great about it!!!

...on a side note, my rating bar showed up today! I was happy to see it wasn't heavy in the red, lol. (probably since I haven't been on OT in almost a year....)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How can you tell when you get a negative?

First things first... you need a ratings bar. Go rock the boat in O/T. It'll appear soon enough.

Once you have a ratings bar, you'll begin to notice that the number of ratings will usually remain static for long periods of time. The number of ratings will often burn into your brain (because you'll see it displayed over and over again)... so when that number changes, it jumps out at you. That little pointy thing in the middle will move with as little as one additional rating, so it's easy enough to tell which way it's gone... left or right, negative or positive.

Originally posted by tshark:

How can search be used to find out where you got it?

I was being totally facetious. Cliff has repeatedly made it clear that we'll never have the ability here to know who's rated us how... or why. I'd like that to change, but I'm not holding my breath.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36251 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Neils88:

Glad to see you bailed on OT. I haven't been near it to almost a year...and I feel great about it!!!

Yeah. I wasn't happy any longer with how I was responding to being provoked (and there are a few guys in O/T who appear to get their jollies doing that). I asked myself how much I was enjoying O/T as opposed to being ashamed of some of the company I was keeping there. It was a no brainer... I left a couple of months ago and don't miss the aggravation at all.

...on a side note, my rating bar showed up today! I was happy to see it wasn't heavy in the red, lol. (probably since I haven't been on OT in almost a year....)

Way too much green. What a suck. .............................. Just kidding!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-01-2016).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My only problem is, I can't fkn spell so nothing comes up most times as it is spelling sensitive, Google will fix spelling errors for me but not in search here or when on Skype. Not to mention my typing skills are even worse, hell when spell check does work when like it's supposed to sometimes I can't even figure out what the word was I was trying to type.

Now if spell check worked in there it might help me some and even maybe some others, but remember people sometimes name their threads really strange names when it comes to the thread itself, so it has to work overtime to find anything if you are just searching titles.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love you folks.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never really had a problem with the search function on here. There is a time delay when a new thread appears in the search area. I think most of the search issues are related to the poster giving his thread a title like "My Graveyard Car". Then they post 5 pages of a perfect custom 3800 swap with custom body panels. Now NO ONE can search for that thread unless they remember parts of it's title.

If people would stop trying to be cute with the wording of their titles and simply state what they are doing "My custom body 3800 swap", the search would work fine.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-01-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm guilty of this with my build thread. I kinda wish I could change the title.

I've never really had a problem with the search function on here. There is a time delay when a new thread appears in the search area. I think most of the search issues are related to the poster giving his thread a title like "My Graveyard Car". Then they post 5 pages of a perfect custom 3800 swap with custom body panels. Now NO ONE can search for that thread unless they remember parts of it's title.

If people would stop trying to be cute with the wording of their titles and simply state what they are doing "My custom body 3800 swap", the search would work fine.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I'm guilty of this with my build thread. I kinda wish I could change the title.

Actually I never even though of your build thread but yes, in your thread, you did a beautiful job restoring the tailights. Now, people will remember seeing those photos and search for "GT taillights", they won't show up so they will either have to search by thread title, your screen name, or mark them as favorites.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-01-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If people would stop trying to be cute with the wording of their titles and simply state what they are doing... the search would work fine.

On a similar note... when I see people give a name to their topic heading such as "Help me please", I can only shake my head.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On a similar note... when I see people give a name to their topic heading such as "Help me please", I can only shake my head.

LOL! SO TRUE!

My favorite was a few weeks back:
"Can someone local help me?"
(To make it worse, they never entered their location into their profile here on the forum! ! !)

Please grow a brain, and maybe next time post something that people may actually click on like:
"Need help with an 87 GT misfiring in the Dallas TX area"

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

My favorite was a few weeks back:
"Can someone local help me?"
(To make it worse, they never entered their location into their profile here on the forum! ! !)

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are numerous problems with the forum's search feature. It shouldn't require special knowledge on how to use it; if it does, then it needs fixed not to require such knowledge.

For me, it is incredibly hard to find the posts I want to find, and that has nothing to do with knowing how to use the search or not. Searching for posts by a specific user, or anything that requires using the "entire thread" classifier, is quite annoying, because the results don't return links to the specific posts in the thread. You only get one link to each thread, regardless of how many matches are in the thread, and they all point to the start of the thread. If a thread is 50 pages long, and the matching post is somewhere in the middle, it can be quite annoying to find, as one must go through every page and then use the browser's page search function to find the same text in the page. Trying to find posts on threads by specific users requires using the "entire thread" classifier, so one has to end up searching through every page as well to find the right content.

The default results also don't sort the results as newest first. Instead it sorts by "reference" but it is totally unclear to anyone other than you (since you wrote the code) what that means.

Some immediate suggestions I would make, would be:

1) Sort results "Newest First" with highest match % and get rid of "by reference"
2) Get rid of the "Subject/User" and "Entire thread" options, always searching entire thread
3) Include direct links to specific posts in thread which matched the search query
4) Use "title:" and "user:" tags to specify limiting the search to the thread title or to usernames, where user matches all posts made by that user
5) Clarify these things in plain documentation on the search page itself, rather than relying on users to intuit how to use the page and guessing wrong
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I'd like to see the ratings system improved or removed in favor of just having +1/-1 on individual posts. While the current ratings system is useful for the occasionally very rare ultra troll that comes on and gets quickly banned through it, the current ratings system overall is not useful to the forum, particularly as there is no moderation of ratings, and people hand them out based for petty reasoning, rather than based on anything remotely objective to improving the forum. Knowing who gave whom a rating won't make the forum a better place either. It will only throw fuel on the fire for those that have petty disdain for others. On the other hand, having per-post like/dislike buttons could let people know more accurately what people are disagreeing with.

If the current ratings system has to stay, then a more "eventually neutral" design would be better.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

It works great if you remember who started the thread, who replied, the thread title, or exact sentences. Used to be MUCH worse, MinnGreen used to be the only one who could use it.

MinnGreen told me his secret... he has the uncanny ability to remember who started the thread he's looking for, who replied or the thread title. With that info, things are a lot easier to find.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Knowing who gave whom a rating won't make the forum a better place either.

That's debatable. I suspect it would at least cut down on the truly gutless wonders who've posted nothing to a particular thread, who've added nothing to the discussion, yet behind the scenes indiscriminately toss negative ratings around.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-01-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's debatable. I suspect it would at least cut down on the truly gutless wonders who've posted nothing to a particular thread, who've added nothing to the discussion, yet behind the scenes indiscriminately toss negative ratings around.

I suspect it won't. And it won't make people follow the forum rules any better either. I think getting rid of the current ratings system would be the better solution for the former, and better moderation is the solution to the latter.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect it won't.

Well, you and I can agree to disagree... and I won't neg you for it either. However, it's my experience with people in general that they're far better behaved when they can be held accountable for their actions (ie not being allowed to act anonymously).
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, you and I can agree to disagree... and I won't neg you for it either. However, it's my experience with people in general that they're far better behaved when they can be held accountable for their actions (ie not being allowed to act anonymously).

I guess if that were true, then 90% of the threads in T/OT might not exist.

But even if you could know who rated you, it doesn't help with the people that gave you a neg forever ago and haven't even looked at the forum in years. I still think a better system would be per-post like/dislike, and perhaps have it also who clicked on like/dislike.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess if that were true, then 90% of the threads in T/OT might not exist.

Ain't that the truth.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't be so sure..... I troll far harder on Facebook where my real name is attached versus here, though it's not like it's a big secret who I am on here/FB
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't be so sure...

I never said I was "so sure" of anything. Besides, perhaps you're an anomaly.

it's my experience with people in general

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For some reason I had you rated neutral. I swore I had you rated positive considering all the great knowledge and advice you have given here. Not to mention your awesome build thread! So here is another + for you.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Here is a good example, I just did a PFF search, specifying General chat, subject included, for the title of this thread:

That's because the thread wasn't indexed yet. All search indices are updated once a day. So if you do the same search right now, the thread will be found.

BTW, this thread will not be found on Google since google hasn't indexed it yet. Sometimes the googlebot visits once a day, sometimes it takes weeks before its next visit.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11569 posts
Member since Jan 99

I think old members are just creating new accounts strictly to give ratings and then abandoning their logon and creating new ones.

Well, no. I know - just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

But seriously, think about it. Unless you delete every post you ever made, people will still stumble upon your old posts. And if it's a post that attracted negative ratings back then, chances are it might still attract the odd negative rating now and then.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11569 posts
Member since Jan 99

There are numerous problems with the forum's search feature. It shouldn't require special knowledge on how to use it; if it does, then it needs fixed not to require such knowledge.

Google requires special knowledge as well. In fact, most (if not all) search functions in the PFF search are directly taken from Google. Like phrase searching. Boolean operators. Stemming. Just to name a few.

You only get one link to each thread, regardless of how many matches are in the thread, and they all point to the start of the thread. If a thread is 50 pages long, and the matching post is somewhere in the middle, it can be quite annoying to find, as one must go through every page and then use the browser's page search function to find the same text in the page. Trying to find posts on threads by specific users requires using the "entire thread" classifier, so one has to end up searching through every page as well to find the right content.

This is true and a flaw in how the search results are presented. However, not all threads are 50 pages long and usually searches are a-specific enough for an entire thread to match. The number of matches in a thread counts toward the search ranking. So if you search for "ignition module", the top thread will be the one where "ignition module" is discussed throughout the thread. So a direct link to a single post would be moot anyway.

The default results also don't sort the results as newest first. Instead it sorts by "reference" but it is totally unclear to anyone other than you (since you wrote the code) what that means.

No it's sorted by relevance. Not reference. Like I said, threads with the most hits are listed first. I don't see what's so weird about that.

Some immediate suggestions I would make, would be:

1) Sort results "Newest First" with highest match % and get rid of "by reference"

There's already a link where you can sort the results by date.

2) Get rid of the "Subject/User" and "Entire thread" options, always searching entire thread

Earlier versions only searched through the entire thread. Then a discussion started that people wanted to be able to search through subject only. And later, people voted that by default, it should search by Subject/User. So this is by popular demand.

3) Include direct links to specific posts in thread which matched the search query

I agree that would make sense if you search for something really specific. But usually people don't search a specific post, they search for threads about a specific subject. If I search for CS150, I want threads discussing the CS150 listed first. Not a thread where a single post mentions the CS150.

4) Use "title:" and "user:" tags to specify limiting the search to the thread title or to usernames, where user matches all posts made by that user

But that requires special knowledge on how to use it.

5) Clarify these things in plain documentation on the search page itself, rather than relying on users to intuit how to use the page and guessing wrong

There's a help link on the search page for all to see.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11569 posts
Member since Jan 99
I would like to add that I agree Google is a way better search engine. But that's like saying that Djokovic is a better tennis player than I am. Of course he is.

But the PFF search can do a few things Google can't. PFF searches threads. Google searches pages. PFF can search specific sections. Google searches the entire site. PFF can search the archives. Google can't. PFF indexes once a day. Google, well, whenever it feels like it.

I use both the PFF search and Google. Sometimes I can't find a thread with the PFF search and Google comes to the rescue. Sometimes it's the other way around. So use whatever you like. It's not like the PFF search is the only way to search the forum.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The older a well used forum gets , the harder it is to find info by a search .There gets to be such a huge volume of info that unless you can really narrow your search down by being very specific , the results are usually in the thousands .Then it takes forever to wade through all the results .This is a problem with all the forums I use , not just Pennocks . Thats why when somebody asks a question , if I know the answer (happens once in a while) I give it to them . If I don't know , I don't bother telling them to use the search feature . Chances are , they already have .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 01-05-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I use both the PFF search and Google. Sometimes I can't find a thread with the PFF search and Google comes to the rescue.
Sometimes it's the other way around. So use whatever you like. It's not like the PFF search is the only way to search the forum.

Agreed. I have no problem with PFF search as it works quite well for me. I guess I know how to use it.
I find Google Search very useful when I want to find a picture or diagram (images) on PFF.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock