Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Looking a possible awesome buy, 1986 GT 5spd with 43k miles- BUT

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking a possible awesome buy, 1986 GT 5spd with 43k miles- BUT by Joshenderson1
Started on: 12-31-2015 05:39 PM
Replies: 20 (377 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 01-02-2016 01:57 PM
Joshenderson1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joshenderson1Send a Private Message to Joshenderson1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you look for to see if a clean old car could have gasket issues or whatnot from sitting in a garage too much? I want to buy it, I just want to make sure I'm not buying a project.

When I go check this sweet baby out with cash in hand, what am I looking for in terms of warning signs that it might not be a good daily driver? What would YOU pay for it?

Love you guys!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the sides of the trunk trim down and look for rot.

Then, crawl under the car and check the complete cradle out for more rot.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also front crossmembers and rear strut towers. Important to me is how long has it not been driven. Not driven for a few years can mean dried up seals in engine, trans, brakes...that can get expensive. Tires could be flat spotted. Long time might also mean dropping the fuel tank to clean it out and replacing fuel pump inside it.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take out the trunk carpet entirely, don't settle for just pulling back parts of it.
Also, if possible take out the rear wheel well liners and check the frame rails (up top) for rust, as well as the cradle.

If that checks out then you should be ok.

The obviously regular maintenance stuff, let it run and warm to operating temp, drive it if possible, etc
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Take out the trunk carpet entirely, don't settle for just pulling back parts of it.
Also, if possible take out the rear wheel well liners and check the frame rails (up top) for rust, as well as the cradle.

If that checks out then you should be ok.

The obviously regular maintenance stuff, let it run and warm to operating temp, drive it if possible, etc

I need to ask.....

How many people let you take apart the cars they are selling and how many people do you let take apart cars you are selling?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's just the photo but is there something going on with that front bumper? Looks a little odd.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joshenderson1:
I just want to make sure I'm not buying a project.

based on the age of any Fiero, the amount of work required is based on how much you drive it. Things are going to fail.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you'd like, I could come with you and help on the inspection/assessment. I live in the Denver area and would be willing to help you out. LMK.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Maybe it's just the photo but is there something going on with that front bumper? Looks a little odd.

That does look odd? Take mrfiero up on that offer, he's owned more Fiero's than 95% of the people on this forum
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What are you seeing?
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a gap between the red and silver on the right side buy the wash bucket.
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an optical illusion. There is nothing wrong with the bumper.
Joshenderson1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joshenderson1Send a Private Message to Joshenderson1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, very seriously considering this versus

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5356927052.html

Really leaning towards the fiero. Gonna talk to the guy tomorrow about it. Had an 88 formula for a few years, best car I ever had.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't all Fieros projects? I just don't want someone else's project. I mean, there is always something. Mine may not technically have anything wrong, but it could be better. Tail light delam, chips in the paint, slow windows, worn text on controls, cruise button at odd angle, warped headliner trim, text faded into windshield, dull mirror paint, spider cracks in rear bumper, one front turn signal is higher than the other, yellowing coolant overflow tank, etc. If it's someone else's project, usually they started something that they couldn't/didn't finish, and you are the one who pays for it.

The bumper did look odd at first glance. The angle. Also, I see that 'missing' piece on the right. Two pair of eyes are better than one.

Sitting is not all equal. If started and run to temp every few weeks, even if still sitting is better than just abandoned. On concrete, or on carpet? There are a lot of Fieros for sale whose owner claims the car was running when it was parked...years ago. Of course, it was parked in the weeds where the sun, squirrels, moisture, etc could ruin it, and now the owner wants $10K for it, dry-rotted flat tires and all.

Even if I don't ”drive” mine for a few months, I do start it and run it, pull it forward and back a few times until the wheels make a full rotation.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-02-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the replies, very seriously considering this versus

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5356927052.html

Really leaning towards the fiero. Gonna talk to the guy tomorrow about it. Had an 88 formula for a few years, best car I ever had.

LOL!

There's nothing to think about between those choices.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small Broncos are the State Car of Colorado. Fieros don't do so well on the mountain 2 ruts.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Small Broncos are the State Car of Colorado. Fieros don't do so well on the mountain 2 ruts.

LOL!

I got nothin'!
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 01-02-2016).]

Joshenderson1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joshenderson1Send a Private Message to Joshenderson1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if this is a really awesome fiero, 43k miles, guy says it's never been on a wet road, he's still run it enough to keep it from drying out in the seals and gaskets, would 6k be an alright price?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So if this is a really awesome fiero, 43k miles, guy says it's never been on a wet road, he's still run it enough to keep it from drying out in the seals and gaskets, would 6k be an alright price?

If the miles are legit, the paint is all or mostly original and everything checks out 6K would be the top of the mark IMO.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another person from Colorado?

I've seen this car on CL for awhile.

You'll realize that Fiero prices in Colorado seem high compared to others. But that doesn't mean you should be paying $6,000 for this car.

The advice above is great info. I'd also try to get ALL of the records for the cars maintenance as well. Also check to see when the car was made, a 5 speed from 86' is technically rare compared to the 4 speed muncie that usually came in them.

Some other things to check out:
Headlights go up and down.
Power windows, locks, mirrors, and power trunk works.
Open up the front hood and see if it has the air dampener for when the sunroof is out.
All the glass is in good shape.
See if the E brake works, and doesn't stick.

Any of these things that don't operate perfectly is something you can point out, and make the owner come down on price (I realize he says 'firm'.)

Hopefully I see you in the future.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock