Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 12-28-2015 04:27 PM
Replies: 118 (1652 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-04-2016 10:35 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We use to have one here, but it fell apart over a decade ago. I don't hear much about people getting together anymore. Have the forum done away with all the more traditional clubs?

I would think now would be the time to promote the Fiero. Really is an amazing car, especially compared to all junk out there today.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a lot of new blood.

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Not a lot of new blood.

This ^ ^ ^

And ownership is very divided.

You have the original crowd and the modified crowd and other than the Fiero name itself, neither seem to have interest in forming a single coalition.

Its almost as if they each dislike the other.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

This ^ ^ ^

You have the original crowd and the modified crowd and other than the Fiero name itself, neither seem to have interest in forming a single coalition.

I might add that in automotive history, this is nothing new. Ask an original Ford Model A owner what he thinks of hot rodders then ask a hot rodder what he thinks of an original Model A.

Trust me, you just can't put the 2 in the same room together.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 12-28-2015).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This ^ ^ ^

Out here in California we are very interested in modded Fieros or not modded and anywhere inbetween.
I probably know or have met 80 percent of the Fiero crowd here and I can't think of a single person that
would be Fiero partisan. Certainly people have personal preferences though.

Come to think of it everyone across the country I know is about the same way.

Maybe you are speaking of a more specific crowd I'n not familiar with.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Come to think of it everyone across the country I know is about the same way.

Would that be the internet country?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I got kicked out of a local club. They were upset with the 4.9, and kicked me out for the Corvette brakes. Eventually, the guy running the club kicked everyone else out. My comment was that his Fiero was rotting in his yard, and wouldn't even start. It's easy to criticize those who do.

Anyway, my biggest problem is always my job. The demands on my time are huge. Then too, I always have my kids, so I can't usually drive my Fiero. With the tanked economy, salaries are down, costs are up, and there isn't money to do things we used to do.

Locally, we haven't gotten together for probably a year or so, but some of us are an hour or so away. This makes any activity at least a 3-hour committment.

Another issue is that there are the been there crown, and the want to go there crowd. The former is impatient with and dismissive of the latter. Several times, I've considered just getting rid of the Fiero and the aggravation from certain members. I've found people on PFF who seem to be hostile. Then there are those I've met in person who seem to be decent people, and there are decent people on the forum.

I guess it comes down to what we can do, individually. I know some clubs meet up once a month or so for dinner. Everyone eats. Perhaps this would be a possible start. I would do this, although the time would be a factor, and I couldn't drive my Fiero. I try to make 1 Fiero event per year.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mid Atlantic Fieros Owners Club is still alive and well it should be. They have been around since the mid 1990's. The club still organizes several shows in the area and still maintains a large presence at the GM Nationals in Carlisle each June. I've been a continuous member and have found that the club has been a great source of information and a meeting place for some great folks. If it seems that other clubs are on the decline it is only because all hobbies do not generate the same level of interest as in past years. This can be attributed to economic decline and the simple leisure time interests of the Millennial Generation. Hobbies also need money, require manual skills, and that generation doesn't have much.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would that be the internet country?

More so in people I actually know but yes outside of the western states predominantly the internet country.

My personal belief is there are problems with people and it is pretty easy to blame behavior on something other than oneself.

I'm going to stand on new blood being the real problem.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going to stand on new blood being the real problem.

While I agree an that old regime has focus, it is quite often flawed at best by a status quo. A "follow the leader" if you will whether that leader or leaders are correct.

Quite often "new blood" can correct the inaccuracies which formed that status quo.

The day you think you're right is the day that you are wrong.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not a lot of new blood.

My personal opinion on this...

Sometimes established clubs don't exactly make "new blood" feel all that welcome, even when the new blood is enthused and wants to contribute. The "old guard" like the way things have always been done, and newer members to them feel like interlopers. Friction builds, barriers are raised. The new blood moves on... and the club eventually dies of internal rot.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sometimes established clubs don't exactly make "new blood" feel all that welcome, even when the new blood is enthused and wants to contribute. The "old guard" like the way things have always been done, and newer members to them feel like interlopers. Friction builds, barriers are raised. The new blood moves on... and the club eventually dies of internal rot.

And that's where the "modified" vs. "original" comes into play.

Face it, not a lot of "kids" out there today give a damn about preservation only customization and many preservationists take exception to that.

Years ago (20+) modifieds and originals coexisted. Not so much anymore. One doesn't respect the common ground like they use to.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 12-28-2015).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would be nice to get together now and then and just talk Fieros, but I cant imagine there are too many around here. At most I guess it would be three or four people. Still it would be fun to exchange information and help each other to fix, modify, or upgrade.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real problem is speculation and hearsay.

But really, there aren't that many Fieros left, all the older people are dying off, the young people don't know anything about them, and Fieros have a bad reputation to start with.

Considering the Fiero production numbers, it was only built for the US/CA markets, and the US population alone is about 322 million at this point, the maximum number of Fieros that may still exist in ratio to the US population is something like 0.25%. That's 1/400 people, assuming all possible Fieros that could be owned are owned. Who knows how many are actually left. Significantly fewer are even in a sate which could be driven. How many have been hacked up to be fake Lambos or Ferraris? Or even worse, trikes? It being a platform specific to Pontiac doesn't help either. It's not like F/H/J/W/A body clubs where you might get a mix of Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/etc…

Any area where a Fiero-specific club exists is lucky. Most have been absorbed into general Pontiac clubs at this point, or just dissolved due to lack of attendance and nobody wanting to really support the club any more.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree, but there is new blood. They probably hang out on facebook. Unfortunately, with perhaps 1 person per state, per month, they don't crop up very often. It's up to us to welcome them. Heck, those who have been into Fieros for longer should always welcome those who have been into Fieros for a shorter time.

Personalities clash. People disagree. I don't always agree with myself, so don't be offended if I don't agree with you. People who were just totally into Fieros just got totally fed up with others in the community, and washed their hands of Fieros. That's what happened to the original club in this area, once I tracked them down.

Patrick, did you eat maryjane?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 12-28-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Patrick, did you eat maryjane?

Damn, took me a couple of moments to figure out what the heck you were talking about.

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow.
I'm starting to think some people maybe just have a need to find drama and make a bigger deal out of it then it ever was.

I've had it with this **** . I'm leaving Fiero's forever!!!!!!!!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having dealt with clubs often the trouble is just people lose interest after a while or people have conflicts with others etc.

Few people have issues with stock or modified especially with the Fiero.

The one thing I believe has done the greatest damage is the internet. It used to be the only way to get info was to join a club and read the news letters. That was the way it was done. Today you need parts or info you just jump on the web. The web is killing magazines and newspapers etc.

While it is good for many things the web has also open the door to many things some folks should not be entering. While most info is good we get the bad info like history [example the never dying Lotus Suspension claim] Or worse someone dispensing tech info that may not be right and someone messes up their car.

I know the latter is rare but it is something one needs to consider when taking tech help. At least in a club many times the guy would come over and either help or fix the car for you.

With clubs generally only a couple people do most of the work and many people just do not want to pay 30 dollars anymore unless you really have a good News letter or magazine. Then the cost of printing is high so if you do not have enough members it could be a major drain on the budget.

All clubs ebb and flow and most make it 10-15 years but others are strong enough to weather the storm. If you find yourself in one like that count yourself lucky.

I tried to help with outs buy writing stories for the news letter. I also served as president for several years and had great support from the founders and members. But I had a son and just got kind of burned out on the whole thing. The meetings were an hour away and if it was cold etc I just did not feel like going to the meetings. I go in cycles on my car and will go a year or two where I just don't do much with it and then I get all excited again to get it out.

But it is a tough time for all clubs right now. Membership has fallen for most and the web is the prime factor. Why pay for info when you can get it for free most times.

The other factor is it is difficult to do just a local club since many areas have Few Fiero's. In NE Ohio we have many and could do it here but many areas it can be difficult.

Even with the club broken up many of us keep in touch as we were friends to begin with. We all helped each other and still do if someone needs a hand.

If someone has issues with how someone else does their car they need more help than we can give. Each of these cars are our own expression. While we may not always like what someone else did we can at least respect their choices. People that can not do that will never get along no matter what.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And that's where the "modified" vs. "original" comes into play.

Face it, not a lot of "kids" out there today give a damn about preservation only customization and many preservationists take exception to that.

Years ago (20+) modifieds and originals coexisted. Not so much anymore. One doesn't respect the common ground like they use to.

I'm 58 and I don't leave anything alone. Nobody in our club seems to mind.
We have a mix of "preservationists" and customizers.

One guy even had his "rat-rodded". While it wasn't exactly my (or others') cup of tea, we all jumped in and helped with some needed repairs.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-29-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rat-rod the plastic body panels on a Fiero?

There are plenty of Fieros around here, but no apparent way to reach most of them.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd think it be better to join a local auto club.. most are for a wide range of cars.. not one model..
There just isn't enough of the Fiero's on the road..
mustang clubs.. have 50 years of cars so many more in one area..
corvette, Camaro,t-birds,chevelles,442's , etc same thing..
but there are tons of local clubs that do cruises and runs/etc..

sure it be cool to have a local club of Fiero's but that get kinda old fast.. Larger regional shows for a model like ours would be cool.. to go to..
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Forums do the same thing,
How many have left here in a tiff, because they didn't get their way, or think because they have been here longer they are god's..
it is sad, but cars have an issue that isn't new to the human race, it's called a generation gap.. and you can't expect younger guys to be into the same things outside the car hobby as the older guys,gals.
same with the older group they will not be into the same stuff as the younger guys/gals.. and they don't want to hear the way they dress sucks, their music sucks, and their generation is entitled little brats..
So, they move on, There is a reason many are into the import thing,, they don't get **** on like they do with the older group that is the majority of the muscle car and 80's cars..
I don't know about where you are, but most car shows, cruises around here are still rocking to a D.J. playing 50's music.. That's cool and all, but mix it up some.. and the younger guys/gals might not feel like they are at grandpa's get together..
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many of us here in NE Ohio. I've tried to get people to meet up at Quaker Steak and Lube in Sheffield for the weekly cruse-in an Sundays, but haven't got many takers. Usually I'm the only Fiero up there. I like the cruse-in there because its low key and I get my weekly diet of beer and wings.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

There are many of us here in NE Ohio. I've tried to get people to meet up at Quaker Steak and Lube in Sheffield for the weekly cruse-in an Sundays, but haven't got many takers. Usually I'm the only Fiero up there. I like the cruse-in there because its low key and I get my weekly diet of beer and wings.

The core of the group here has two things going against it.

Many of the older people have moved on. Some sold their cars and some just do not have the time right now. They may come back after a few years off. We also lost several who had passes on.

The other part is many are in the Akron area and Sheffield is not just an short trip up. While many will travel for shows many will not drive an hour or more for a meeting. As for the wings we have them closer to our own Lubes.

The key is to ID where everyone is and find a place central and you may see better results. Just something to consider.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5998 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by tshark:

Rat-rod the plastic body panels on a Fiero?

There are plenty of Fieros around here, but no apparent way to reach most of them.

The Fiero people tend to be a more accepting open minded group. As long as you do not do something that would get them in trouble they are pretty cool with what ever you do. I think it is part of the nature of owning a Fiero.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The core of the group here has two things going against it.

Many of the older people have moved on. Some sold their cars and some just do not have the time right now. They may come back after a few years off. We also lost several who had passes on.

The other part is many are in the Akron area and Sheffield is not just an short trip up. While many will travel for shows many will not drive an hour or more for a meeting. As for the wings we have them closer to our own Lubes.

The key is to ID where everyone is and find a place central and you may see better results. Just something to consider.

Yeah. Sheffield isn't ideally centralized. Not much north of us but the lake. And there are a few in the area that are on PFF, but many more that are not. And I haven't been much into the Facebook book thing.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

We have a mix of "preservationists" and customizers.

Our club is the same way. I don't even know which group is bigger; its pretty close to even.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We lose our guys when they buy Corvettes (even though they still had the Fiero)...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Agree with HIPERV6 We both have mod Fiero but we like and or love stock Fieros . I have both.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pro street dave

288 posts
Member since Dec 2006
HYPERV6 !
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another important part of a club is a personality or dynamic force to run it. When I ask for volunteers, everyone looks the other way. It takes time and effort to run, organize and plan club events. If only one person is willing to do it, AND THEY LIKE DOING IT, then the club will survive. When that person has had enough, if no one takes over, the club dies. We had a guy who LOVED our local Fiero club, it was his life. It was his social life, his passion and he did an outstanding job of running the club. It was a lot of fun. He organized events, cookouts, poker runs, even a Fiero National show. For those who remember FOCOA, he helped organize the Williamsburg event back in the late 90's.

Many others have already mentioned the fact that the Fiero clubs were very popular in the 80's-90's because the folks who were members were the original owners. They wanted to get together with others who shared their passion for the Fiero. Today, most of us are not original owners and while we love the Fiero, its harder to connect now, both because the car is not being made and the brand does not exist. Also, as pointed out, the internet has really changed the way we interact. Check to see if your area has a "Cars and Coffee", if so, get out there with your car and show it off. You'd be suprized how many people have never had a chance to really look over a Fiero. Even stock, you will fit in with all the exotic and odd cars.

If you are lucky to live in an area with a Fiero club I encourage you to get out and become part of the club, not just someone who shows up to an event that was planned, organized and PAID for by someone else. I encourage our members to bring a new member to each meeting and two new ideas for meetings/events. If we don't grow we will die.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB #95, LS376, F40 and a GT clip
LS Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-29-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have not yet found a car group (Fiero or non-Fiero) where I have felt un-welcome. But I think E.Furgal has hit the nail on the head here:

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I don't know about where you are, but most car shows, cruises around here are still rocking to a D.J. playing 50's music.. That's cool and all, but mix it up some.. and the younger guys/gals might not feel like they are at grandpa's get together..

But...even if we address that issue, we are still stuck with the fact that there really aren't that many of us, and we are pretty spread out. Then you have to rule out the people who don't have their car on the road right now, or feel that their car isn't good enough to show off. Jason has the right answer…take over a cruise-in (a Cars and Coffee is a great place to start). Just find one you like, and show up every time. Start inviting other Fiero owners to show up. We did this in Mooresville, NC. After a couple seasons (forget the idea of instant gratification), we usually had about 3 Fieros on any given week…sometimes only 1, I think our record was 7. But even if I was the only one to show up, it wasn’t a wasted evening.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know we have a pretty large contingent here. Would be cool to get together.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Yeah. Sheffield isn't ideally centralized. Not much north of us but the lake. And there are a few in the area that are on PFF, but many more that are not. And I haven't been much into the Facebook book thing.

If you located to a place north of Akron and south of Cleveland it would put more people in a 30 min radius. Keep it near a major freeway etc,

Brunswick Nordonia Hills etc.

Even Akron would give you more reach into the Canton area and outlaying areas. I know there was a decent size group showed up in Orrville two years ago and most were people I was not familiar with. I could not attend but saw photo's of the cars and only knew one.

The Old Cleveland Fiero People meet every year in early May at the Barn in Wooster. We generally get a good sized group of people but many have sold their cars so only a few show up Like Dave here and Gary etc.

I know you have people in this area from Sundusky to Wellington. Cleveland. and east. South to Wooster and Canton.

Also in the Akron area there are many Fiero's I see weekly that do not belong to a club. Some are in pretty good shape.

The Columbus area did well for the Central Ohio group and the Cleveland, Akron Canton area was good for the Cleveland Fieros. But you get outside that and Ohio is pretty open and many would have to travel a long way.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-29-2015).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

That's something to think about Furgal for sure.
Clubs organizers should be keeping the age interests in mind.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read the comments and I think age plays a part.

I tend to hang out at cars&coffee, and there are a lot of younger adults there.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the old school rules as they provide the most or largest crowds that attend shows. Kind of mob rules.

Because of that I went back to my old hang out last summer and it was mostly old guys in their 70's with the same cars as 25 years ago sitting around bench racing. There were only a few of us 50 and younger. It was kind of sad as who will replace them in 10-15 years?

As for younger two problems. There not as many younger people interested anymore. Second the ones that are have a difficult time affording much anymore. Even the most exciting cheap cars are no longer cheap. In my time we could buy old GTO and SS Chevelles all day for $2,000 in really good complete shape with only 60K-75K miles.

Today $2K buys nothing. Even on old early 80's Cutlass or Malibu are out there but if they are in worth while shape they can run you $7K-10K and finding replacement interior parts is difficult.

Camaro and TA models from the 80's van be found reasonable. but often they need work as most were driven hard and put away wet. I saw a nearly new Z/28 from the 80's the other day with low miles for $12K. Nice original car but even it is out of reach of a kid with a part time job in school.

It is a shame but kids today want video games and Cell Phone more than they want a cool car. There are still some that want the car but not like they used to. This is what you get for rising kids in a Civic.

My Dad got a new Chevelle every year for many years and I just loved it growing up. Mom loved the Limited slip and the 3:42 gears. She was the hot rodder.
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy sounds like you guys got into some very bad clubs. MFF is alot looser in that the Fiero is an excuse to get together and see each other. We have members with pristeen stock fieros and some whith heavy mods and some with both. I haven't encountered the my choice is better than your choice.

Members come and go sometimes they move on sometimes they just get too busy with other things.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really is sad. I bet I am one of the few on here under 25..

Car culture in general has shrunk a lot for my generation. People at college age and around just are not interested in cars. There are a bunch of reasons.

-Urban living is popular, living in the downtown areas of major cities car ownership can be a pain.
-We grew up with rising gas prices and global warming, so there a lot more environmentally conscious kids that see cars as socially irresponsible
-There is less money, cars are expensive and the average american is at an all time low in terms of income(well, since the 20s..)
-College is expensive, hard justify a $5000 "Toy" when your are thousands of dollars in debt

I love cars, and I know a few others who do, but I was only able to own a Fiero because my dad has a garage and was willing to help me. I have had to give up a lot of other things to own this car, and I don't blame those with a little interest who see it as way too much.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 12-29-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to join a local Fiero club...if I could find one. I heard there was one somewhere here (Ottawa), but apparently no one in it had a running Fiero. Ottawa is a city of about a million people, so you'd think it would be a big enough place to have something. I've been thinking of picking up a second Fiero so I could actually have something to drive to the club (should I ever actually locate it)...but I don't have much time that I could devote to a second project, and I'm sure anything I'd buy would need lots of TLC. Maybe once my current project is complete then I'll see if I can get a club going here.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock