Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How many amps can a Fiero window switch handle?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How many amps can a Fiero window switch handle? by maryjane
Started on: 12-27-2015 09:25 PM
Replies: 11 (414 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 12-31-2015 07:35 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At 12-14 volts DC?
And for how long duration/duty cycle?
(thinking about using one for a non automobile project)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-27-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of load? Motor, light bulbs, etc?

Switch is likely good to 15-20a
Duty Cycle as PW switch? likely >99% off <1% on

Main thing killing any contact to control motors are when motor is at stall at end of travel. Motors draw more amps to starting and most amps when stalled. PW motors get stalled when full open or close. Then add surge current and volts to kill power to inductive loads.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-27-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Untill the wire overheats
I would think for a long time as it is mechanical and have good size bars to conduct current.
It is the old grease that tends to slow them down.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What type of load? Motor, light bulbs, etc?

Motor. I ruined a really good cordless 1/2" drill by leaving it in the back of my truck with the battery installed--it rained all night on it, and the switch lost the magic smoke (melted).
Motor and battery is still good but switch is no longer available from manufacturer. I believe I can make it physically fit easily enough, IF it will handle the current load.
I mostly use it for driving roofing screws thru roofing into 2 x 6s and drilling 3/8" pilot holes in gate posts for the screw in hinges.
(maybe I shoulda posted this in OT?)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-28-2015).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can buy a craftsman trigger switch from ebay pretty reasonably.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

It is the old grease that tends to slow them down.

You talking about the old grease on the power window mechanism assembly inside the door??

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 12-28-2015).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you look on ebay for a switch? I found an long discontinued switch for an angle grinder on there for 11 bucks brand new. Can't remember the seller, but he had a lot of discontinued power tool parts like that.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think it will work for what you want but I did reuse a defroster button to a control for my wen 4500 lb winch, at least I think it was the defroster switch. hey it worked for years. until I set the shop on fire grinding and burned it up. saved the shop but the switch and winch melted.

I have an old craftsman screw gun I burned up, or maybe it was the trigger if you want to try that give me a PM and I will send it off. One thing I will say mine was one of the ones you got in a kit, I liked the way that ones case was made, it had a lanyard on it, the new one doesn't.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-29-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Motor. I ruined a really good cordless 1/2" drill by leaving it in the back of my truck with the battery installed--it rained all night on it, and the switch lost the magic smoke (melted).
Motor and battery is still good but switch is no longer available from manufacturer. I believe I can make it physically fit easily enough, IF it will handle the current load.
I mostly use it for driving roofing screws thru roofing into 2 x 6s and drilling 3/8" pilot holes in gate posts for the screw in hinges.
(maybe I shoulda posted this in OT?)

type in make and model in flee bay, I'm sure you'll find one cheap for parts..
might even find the switch..
open up your drill and look at the switch, it'll have a name and part #..
I doubt it was made by the drill brand..

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the cordless drill 12V-14V? Any idea what kind of current the drill can pull?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=24&products_id=271
From Rodney Dickman's page on the power window helper relays...

The average draw on an electric window motor is less than 10 amps.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 12-30-2015).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Is the cordless drill 12V-14V? Any idea what kind of current the drill can pull?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=24&products_id=271
From Rodney Dickman's page on the power window helper relays...

Thanks but I'm pretty sure there isn't room in that drill handle for both the relay and a switch.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Thanks but I'm pretty sure there isn't room in that drill handle for both the relay and a switch.

my switch is from a 19.2 volt battery gun so it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. the internals of the switch itself that fit inside the handle are just a switch with a rod that fits in the trigger.

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock