Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Painting interior HARD plastic-- SEM or Krylon Fusion?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Painting interior HARD plastic-- SEM or Krylon Fusion? by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 12-25-2015 02:52 PM
Replies: 15 (785 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 12-28-2015 02:38 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Title pretty much says it all. I'm getting ready to tackle the interior restoration on my 87 and will be converting from OE gray to black. I know SEM is better for the soft vinyl like on the armrest and door panels, but what about the hard plastic like around the door/e-brake and elsewhere?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used the SEM on hard plastic (add on three gauge panel for front pillar) and like it. It has been on for more than five years and still looks good. I also used it successfully on the lower seat belt cover. That being said I used the Krylon Fusion paint on the plastic shelf/piece just below the windshield and it still looks god after three years.

Nelson
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SEM is for professional results.

Krylon is for Walmart results.

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONEClick Here to Email NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote or sem here. Used it on my entire Interior.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Click Here to Email robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, what he said - Thunderstruck GT...
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the others on SEM. Its too bad Mar-Hyde stopped making the good stuff. I used to do whole interiors on mine and used cars, even seats that held up fine for years.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I agree with the others on SEM. Its too bad Mar-Hyde stopped making the good stuff. I used to do whole interiors on mine and used cars, even seats that held up fine for years.

That's the other name I was trying to remember. Damn CRS.

I was using Mar-Hyde long before I was using SEM. I can't say about recent results but Mar-Hyde always was a good product.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 324
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Krylon fusion works great but all of the colors are a bit too glossy for my taste. I believe Duplicolor makes a vinyl/plastic/fabric paint that is semi-gloss. I've never used the SEM paint but good plastic paint actually attaches and bonds to a clean plastic surface. IMO, a clean surface is key to a lasting interior color change.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanClick Here to Email darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the interior color on my Elky from Blue to Sandstone, and used the SEM product. Cleaning is key, as is allowing sufficient dry time. While you can handle in about 15 minutes, letting the parts dry for several days worked out much better- less potential to scratch, especially on re-install. Use the Low Gloss clear on the dash parts, and the semi gloss clear on other areas. For the hard wear areas ( like arm rests), I used a 2K clear from Eastwood. That stuff will hold up to anything!

For grins:

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

I changed the interior color on my Elky from Blue to Sandstone, and used the SEM product. Cleaning is key, as is allowing sufficient dry time. While you can handle in about 15 minutes, letting the parts dry for several days worked out much better- less potential to scratch, especially on re-install. Use the Low Gloss clear on the dash parts, and the semi gloss clear on other areas. For the hard wear areas ( like arm rests), I used a 2K clear from Eastwood. That stuff will hold up to anything!

For grins:

Damn, that's nice. Looks classy.

What are the seats and console out of?
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageClick Here to Email TXOPIESend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have converted several interiors to black.

I have tried a lot of products, but I like the look and reflective -ness I get out of the Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray:

I prefer the flat black:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The gloss black makes it look like it has a fresh coat of armor all on it.

PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanClick Here to Email darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Damn, that's nice. Looks classy.

What are the seats and console out of?

The seats are Acura CL '98, Heated, Power, Leather. The console is 2004 Grand Prix.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do it right with a professional product like SEM. Don't waste your time with the other stuff on the market. You want the interior to last as long as those taillights you just restored.

Bob2112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bob2112Send a Private Message to Bob2112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had great results on both soft and hard plastics/vinyl with Duplicolor. Although, as someone else said, proper prep is key. I do a phosphate wash, then grease/wax remover, then spray on adhesion promoter, then finally, the color coat. A bit of work, but the results are well worth it. I can bend that plastic every which way and the paint doesn't crack at all. Looks just like it was molded in the final color I painted it.

------------------
New Moon Rising - 1988 Black Formula
My Blue Heaven - 1965 Mustang Coupe

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mar Hyde you buy now in spray cans is not the same as the original you got only from auto paint stores. I even used it on leather seats. After good cleaning, you final prepped the leather by scrubbing it with some acetone on a maroon scotchbrite pad. Its another case of 'new and improved ' being not as good as original. Im sure like most other things, EPA banned the use of chemicals that actually made it good. I never had any problems with old paint from 40 years ago whether it was enamel or lacquer. Now, you have issues nearly every time you do something. In the last 10 years, ive seen so many paint problems with new stuff, theyre too numerous to even bother listing.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-28-2015).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my whole car in Krylon, so to me its a great product. Its been on 5 years now and is in great shape. Prep, prep and more prep is the key. However, when I change my interior color I will be using a professional product. Not sure if its SEM or not. Have not found the color yet. May have to get it made up for my job.

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock