New Guy From Ky by Daniel Kinder
Started on: 12-21-2015 04:30 PM
Replies: 7 (226 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-26-2015 11:05 AM
Daniel Kinder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel KinderSend a Private Message to Daniel KinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, Names Daniel and I'm getting ready to get a 88 GT that's been setting in a garage for about 8 years and only has I believe 87,000 miles on it, V6 5-speed. New to the Fiero, have always loved them but never owned one and got a chance to finally get one and not going to let it get away.

Detailer by trade (kindercarcare on facebook) and half mechanical skills so can do my own work unless a major engine over haul.

will take some pics in a week or so and post up but for now,
1) what would you guys do to make sure everything is good before firing up?
2) any links or threads on here that could answer or tell me what steps should be done?
3) and any links to the pros & cons of the v6 engine/trans in this model.

Thanks guys for any help and hope to make some friends on here as well.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. This video might be helpful for you (saw it recently and your questions reminded me of it):

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, there is this checklist.

All rubber, fluids, pumps, filters, & the battery are suspect. Check for rust in the trunk corners under the carpet, by the battery tray, in the wheel wells behind the liners, under the seats, and along the coolant tubes.

I'd give it a full tune-up, including new plugs, plug wires, coil, and rotor. The distributor seal and the ICM will probably also need to be replaced. The fuel & oil sending units probably need help.

Work the headlights up and down.

Check the intermediate shaft.

The steering dampener will probably need to be checked.

You'll likely need to replace the shocks & front lower ball joints.

Check the wheel bearings & control arms.

Clean the debris out of the heater box.

Service the brakes. They typically lock up. Make sure the rear brakes work properly. Also, check the ebrake. The adjuster & distribution block often need help.

I'm sure there're things I'm forgetting.
Daniel Kinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel KinderSend a Private Message to Daniel KinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys appreciate it!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 front wheel bearings are sealed. On 88 brakes the caliper sliders freeze up. If you are going to work on the rear calipers remember to use the tool and turn them in the correct direction. I dont have that handy but do a search and you will find it. I would check all the rubber hoses in the fuel system. From the hose that attaches the fuel filler neck to the tank to the fuel lines to the lines going over to the expansion tank in the passenger side rear quarter panel. Check the parking brake cables. Oh the parking brake is what adjusts the rear calipers. If you dont have a parking brake, like my car came when I bought it, you can manually push the level back and forth. If the cables are not hooked up Make sure there are springs installed to keep the the lever in the proper position. My first Fiero was an 88 that I owned for 12 years. My current car is an 87 with an 88 cradle.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-22-2015).]

Daniel Kinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel KinderSend a Private Message to Daniel KinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Solo
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stored mine for 5 yrs and found the frt brakes were locked up. Had to replace the frt calipers and flush the cooling system. Other than that ran and drove fine.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the headlights won't come up, but the motors run, it's not a big deal to fix. Don't let that put you off.
The rebuild kits are under $10 and can usually be installed in an hour or less.
(This applies to 87s and 88s only.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock