Rims by ike50701
Started on: 12-19-2015 11:24 AM
Replies: 8 (540 views)
Last post by: ike50701 on 01-10-2016 01:46 AM
ike50701

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking about upgrading my 84's rims and tires to 15s from the factory 14 inch rims. Those of you that have gone 15s or bigger can you post pics of how the car looks? I have bumperpad/notchback, so preferably that bodystyle. My main reason for the upgrade is performance tire availability as I do plan to autocross the car in the future after its set up and "done". TIA
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of these are larger than 15" but see this thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052912.html
ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks IMSA
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're thinking of keeping the stock Fiero look, the Formula and the red '86 have the same 15" '88 GT/Formula wheels.
You may be aware that the '88 front wheels are 6" wide; the back are 7" wide. Prior years had 7" all around.
The '84 SE has the 14" wheels. There's not much visual impact going to 15" and tire availability certainly is much better.

ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A secondary concern is weight when it comes to upgrading rims, and the factory rims, while looking good, are a heavier rim if I remember correctly. Espwcially when the rotating mass factor comes into play. It has been YEARS since I have had my rims off the car, but I plan to have her roadworthy this summer if all goes well with my new job.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first got my 87 the 14's were in pretty sorry shape and the tires were old and didn't hold air. Thee cost to get new tires or rims was pretty high but Subaru Impreza rims will fit (may need some trimming on the center hubs)
I found a set local on craigslist for around $200 or maybe less with decent tires. There are pictures on my build thread of the wheels (the pics are large and didn't want to mess up your thread). I think for the price its hard to beat. Plus there are a ton of Subarus up here in the Pacific Northwest; at least now they serve a purpose

My build thread

Jess
ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those Subaru rims don't look too bad, especially blacked out. My car is black with a gray interior, planning on 3800SC swap, hopped up a tad, 6 speed manual, and a few additional items for creature comfort, but it'll be a fun car. I just don't want too much rotating weight slinging around, and plan on playing with weight distribution etc. And the small amount of options for 14 inch rims anymore just SUCKS. More room for brakes under a bigger rim anyways, right??
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2015 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ike50701:

Those Subaru rims don't look too bad, especially blacked out. My car is black with a gray interior, planning on 3800SC swap, hopped up a tad, 6 speed manual, and a few additional items for creature comfort, but it'll be a fun car. I just don't want too much rotating weight slinging around, and plan on playing with weight distribution etc. And the small amount of options for 14 inch rims anymore just SUCKS. More room for brakes under a bigger rim anyways, right??

That sounds very familiar to my plans. It felt like the stock 14's with the tall side walls were heavier than these Subaru rims, or at least pretty close to the same weight. Either way I can carry one with one hand pretty easy. The other plus was mine came with 225 wide tires so they are a little more aggressive looking than the 195s.
Jessica
ike50701

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ike50701Send a Private Message to ike50701Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, things are looking pretty good with my new job, delivering hog feed to local confinements with semi, so it's looking like this spring/summer rims and tires will be happening, as well as several other parts to get her back roadworthy. Possibly hitting the body shop up next winter for paint. Burnt orange with black stripe, possibly deleting the belt moldings, but not 100% sure yet. Got a few mods up my sleeve too

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock