Rear Wing on 87 SE by rmac
Started on: 12-17-2015 09:46 AM
Replies: 19 (827 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 12-18-2015 10:16 PM
rmac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmacSend a Private Message to rmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys just a little curious here got a question regarding what Fiero models came factory with the GT style wing I have an 87 SE Fiero with the V6 and it has the GT style wing on it and the VIN sticker on the trunk lid matches the rest of the car. My first 87 SE also had the wing on the trunk but I have just noticed that most of the SE models I see online have the luggage rack on their rear deck lids just curious if anyone else has an SE Fiero with the rear wing or if it was even an option for SE models from the factory. Kind of a silly question but just curious
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

rmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmacSend a Private Message to rmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty cool they would do that!! Its kinda what I figured was going on. Definitely the way I would have ordered one
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmacSend a Private Message to rmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty cool 400 doesn't seem too bad for a NOS factory part!! I kind of wish they would have been able to stock parts like the Indy Pace car roof scoop
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only models where the wing was not an option, were the 84 Indy and 88 Formula, as I understand. All other model Fieros had the wing as an option.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmac:

Hey guys just a little curious here got a question regarding what Fiero models came factory with the GT style wing I have an 87 SE Fiero with the V6 and it has the GT style wing on it and the VIN sticker on the trunk lid matches the rest of the car. My first 87 SE also had the wing on the trunk but I have just noticed that most of the SE models I see online have the luggage rack on their rear deck lids just curious if anyone else has an SE Fiero with the rear wing or if it was even an option for SE models from the factory. Kind of a silly question but just curious

You have to check the RPO sticker in the front trunk on the wheel well, to see if your car originally came with the spoiler or not. The RPO should have D80 listed, IIRC, for factory installed spoiler.
rmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmacSend a Private Message to rmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thanks dobey and yeah thunderstruck gt I wish I was able to drive back then when most of the fieros were still on the road!! there are two fastback gt's around my area and there was one black notchback that used to run around my area a few years ago id always give him a thumbs up lol its actually pretty shocking to se people around who still drive them every time I see one on the road it makes my day
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the wings were optional on SE models in 86-87 as well GT models 85-88.

Dealers could and did make deals to add wings at the time of sale. I wanted a 1985 2M6 SE in 1985 and it had a luggage rack. I wanted to plain deck to add my own spoiler but out of 50 Fieros on they all had luggage racks but two GT models. The salesman came to me and said no plain decks but we can take the deck lid off the GT in the show room and put it on my car.

That was a sweet seal as they only charged me the difference between the wing and the luggage rack option which I can not recall at this moment but it was not much. They were going to change the decal on the back and I told them just give it to me and I still have it in the box as I liked the plain deck lid lip anyways.

So in the end I got a factory mounted wing when I picked the car up new with only a deck lid swap and someone got stuck with a GT and luggage rack.

I like to claim mine was the first Formula because I had the V6, WS6 and Wing back in 1985 LOL!

Seriously I remember back then and it was common to see the wings added after delivery. I have seen many with racks and a wing over it. Also many Chevy Berettas and Grand Ams and many other cars had the Fiero wings installed as they fit many cars because of their size. For a while they were a high theft item and people were getting them stolen often.

Around here it is rare to see a Fiero with out the wing if it was a GT or later SE as most dealers here just ordered them with the wing. Luggage racks are mostly just on the 4 cylinder base cars here.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-17-2015).]

Ramon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 85 4 speed GT with out a wing, I also have now a 85 SE with a wing.. I guess it can go both ways.
PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
I like to claim mine was the first Formula because I had the V6, WS6 and Wing back in 1985 LOL!

I'm confused? I thought 1988 was the only year with the WS6 suspension. I've heard this said before and was always confused, I've also heard it's very overrated?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But a WS6 designation on say an 1985 would have different suspension than say the WS6 designation on an '88 GT or Formula?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

I'm confused? I thought 1988 was the only year with the WS6 suspension. I've heard this said before and was always confused, I've also heard it's very overrated?

The WS6 was Pontiac's way to point out the top performance suspension. It was stock on the GT and optional on the SE in 1985 and standard on the 88 Formula.

It was not overrated as it was the best of what you could buy when offered. It also was the performance suspension on the TA and even the GP.

My 2M6 was optioned to the point it was a GT just less the GT body parts. No nose or ground FX. I did have the same suspension, engine and interior.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dylpro:

But a WS6 designation on say an 1985 would have different suspension than say the WS6 designation on an '88 GT or Formula?

Yes it was different because the 88 suspension was different. The 88 has the new 3 link rear and upgrades to the front. But again the top level of that year was still called a WS6. No matter the year or model the best suspension of each year no matter how it was laid out was a WS6.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ramon:

I had a 85 4 speed GT with out a wing, I also have now a 85 SE with a wing.. I guess it can go both ways.

If you had an 85 SE with a wing someone put it on later. It was not an option but you could get a dealer to install it as I did.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramon:

Check your RPO codes... D80 is for a wing. SE shouldn't have come with a wing, the GT may have (it was optional).
rmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmacSend a Private Message to rmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet thanks for all of the replies guys ill check my RPO list for the D80 code if its not there ill have to assume it was either dealer installed or put on by a previous owner either way still glad its on there lol
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 SE had an original one on it before I got it, you can tell because the holes are there, filled with fiberglass but there is the new one they put on to replace it has holes that allow the bolt on one side to compress the rubber deck trim. It must have been ripped right off from the damage left from the original, they didn't fix the old holes all that well.

Many people put different spoilers on these and some work and some don't,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-18-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock