Price check on LS4 by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 12-14-2015 10:32 AM
Replies: 14 (611 views)
Last post by: dobey on 12-14-2015 10:47 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found an LS4 from an Impala SS for sale. It comes with the harness and computer. Guy is asking 900. Is this a good price? What else would I need for the swap. 80k miles on the engine.

[This message has been edited by Napoleon_Tanerite (edited 12-14-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Miles?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
80k. I updated the OP
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming it's in good condition, it is indeed a good price.

You'd need the trans/starter at least, depending on what your plans for such a swap is. If you're planning to stick with the 4t65e-HD, it's preferable to get one that came with an LS4, so you don't have to create the starter mounting yourself.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Asking" $900.00 means buying for $750.00.

Well worth the money with 80K.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does not include the trans, supposedly the starter comes with the engine. I would love to have an LS4 Fiero, but I'm hesitant due to the cost and I don't think I have the skill to do the swap. If this a steal of a price for the engine I may grab it to have if I do decide to do the swap, but if the price is average I will save myself the four hour round trip and pass. That's really the answer I'm looking for.... Is it worth $900 and a tank of gas to go get that engine?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a pretty average price. The starter mounts on the trans, so it's a little weird to include the starter and no trans. You can find complete drop-outs for around $1200.

If you're not confident about the swap, then probably best to hold off on it.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your skill set lacks in electronics you can run it on a carburetor and save yourself from all the computer BS. You can build more power with ease too.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That isn't a bad price, nor is it a great one.

My first LS4 was a full dropout (engine, trans, all accessories, harness & ECM/TCM) with 18K miles for $1000... that was an absolute steal.

The last 2 were complete dropouts as well, but higher miles (100K ish), one came with a GM Serta rebuilt transmission. It was $1800 for the pair.

The LS4 4T65e-hd transmissions are somewhat hard to get if they don't come with the engine. So the price for just the engine should be lower, but they also come with 799 or 243 heads so the heads keep the minimum price for the engine a little higher than the truck LS engines.

LS4 with a manual swap... requires lots of custom parts and machining. If you have any doubts about it or your skills, choose a different path. So far only 3 LS4/Manual swaps in Fieros have been done... and there is a reason for it. Lots of custom fab work.

LS4/4T65e-hd is an easier swap (still not as easy as most other swaps), but Fiero King can hook you up with most of the needed parts. You still need to be able to cut steel and weld on the cradle, and run wires. So if that is beyond your skill set, then choose a different path.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That isn't a bad price, nor is it a great one.

My first LS4 was a full dropout (engine, trans, all accessories, harness & ECM/TCM) with 18K miles for $1000... that was an absolute steal.

The last 2 were complete dropouts as well, but higher miles (100K ish), one came with a GM Serta rebuilt transmission. It was $1800 for the pair.

The LS4 4T65e-hd transmissions are somewhat hard to get if they don't come with the engine. So the price for just the engine should be lower, but they also come with 799 or 243 heads so the heads keep the minimum price for the engine a little higher than the truck LS engines.

LS4 with a manual swap... requires lots of custom parts and machining. If you have any doubts about it or your skills, choose a different path. So far only 3 LS4/Manual swaps in Fieros have been done... and there is a reason for it. Lots of custom fab work.

LS4/4T65e-hd is an easier swap (still not as easy as most other swaps), but Fiero King can hook you up with most of the needed parts. You still need to be able to cut steel and weld on the cradle, and run wires. So if that is beyond your skill set, then choose a different path.

Discouraging, but appreciated. Manual is a must-have for me. What sort of custom parts and machining are we talking about here? I know about the need for a flywheel and mounts, what else is there?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:
Discouraging, but appreciated. Manual is a must-have for me. What sort of custom parts and machining are we talking about here? I know about the need for a flywheel and mounts, what else is there?

Starter, because on the LS4, it is mounted on the trans side. Using a manual trans from GM means you're more limited in what trans you can use. One of the manual swaps is with an NSX trans, but that can also be more costly, and requires an adapter plate.

The F40 is the best option to mate to the LS4. Aside from cutting the bell housing and adding a starter mounting pad, you also need a custom half shalft and axles, as well as mounts.

Even if you were to go with an automatic LS4, there is still plenty of fabrication that needs to be done, as the stock accessories for it don't fit as-is in the Fiero. The water pump interferes with the decklid hinge.

What exactly is it that you want to achieve with a swap?
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for better low end torque and an overall faster car. Primary use will be S&G driving with occasional Autocross and maybe road course runs.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking for better low end torque and an overall faster car. Primary use will be S&G driving with occasional Autocross and maybe road course runs.

What other engines have you been looking at? How much are you looking to spend on the swap?

Honestly, your best bet will probably be a 3800. It can be done cheap, is a less complicated swap than the LS4, and probably fits your goals the best. A 3800 manual swap is pretty easy, and doesn't require anywhere near as much fabrication or custom parts to get it in.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800SC Series II is the other engine I'm looking at, mostly from a cost and simplicity standpoint. The thing that makes me nervous about it is those engines are getting OLD, and it's rare to see one with less than 120k. Is that a concern? I'm not super motivated to do an engine swap right now anyway. If that LS4 was a screaming deal I would have picked it up and sat on it for a year or more while other projects took priority. What's a "don't you dare pass on it" price for an LS4 or 3800SC?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3800SC Series II is the other engine I'm looking at, mostly from a cost and simplicity standpoint. The thing that makes me nervous about it is those engines are getting OLD, and it's rare to see one with less than 120k. Is that a concern? I'm not super motivated to do an engine swap right now anyway. If that LS4 was a screaming deal I would have picked it up and sat on it for a year or more while other projects took priority. What's a "don't you dare pass on it" price for an LS4 or 3800SC?

I'd say "free" is a "don't pass it up" price. Otherwise, if you aren't ready to start working on things, just save your money and do your research. There are plenty enough of the engines in the wild that you'll be able to shop around when you are ready, and find one at a decent price.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock