Cleaning transmission? by Detainabull
Started on: 12-12-2015 08:17 PM
Replies: 29 (558 views)
Last post by: Detainabull on 12-21-2015 08:14 PM
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have cradle and drive train pulled out and ready for prep work. I'll be powder coating the cradle but as far as the transmission goes, how do I clean this thing up to have it painted and looking new? I've taken a wire wheel to it and removed a lot of large debree but that can only get me so far. Any thing I can spray on it or help remove all the grease? Here's some pics of it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old gasoline works well.

Don't smoke...
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brake Clean might help.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mineral spirits will work very well but I am not so sure it will be good to paint after that.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 12-16-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brake cleaner, cleans everything, goes real fast, better buy a case. And a small brush.
CarolinaRigman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use brake cleaner, then brush on some old gasoline or kerosene and brush the heck out of it.
Then use some Pine Sol,( after pressure washing if you can) rubbing it with a soft plastic scrub brush.
Some times that's all you have to do.
Let it dry, spray a thin coat of adhesion promoter, or just clearcoat. It'll look great.
All I've got is an electric cheapo washer, but your welcome to try it!
Your interior stuff is lookin' Great!

Doug
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks guys... I'll get to it next weekend when I'm off and update you then.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple Purple or Purple Power, available at just about any auto parts store does wonders. I have used it for years. Just buy yourself a $2 spray bottle while there to spray it on with.

I used it to degrease my transmission some time ago. The imperfections you see in the picture below are the slag, and rough metal, and not dirt under the paint:

If you have a pressure washer, or can borrow one, that will help immensely!

Here is a quick YouTube video of someone using it to clean an engine bay:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-13-2015).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purple power is the WORST cleaner I have ever tried, even dish soap in a spray bottle works better. In that vid he claimed grease, that was dirt.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Purple power is the WORST cleaner I have ever tried, even dish soap in a spray bottle works better. In that vid he claimed grease, that was dirt.

Purple power is more or a less a knock off to this stuff:

This is what you want for cleaning. It costs more than the PP but it truly works.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 12-13-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy Off oven cleaner... it will turn the aluminum a dark grey, but if you are going to paint it anyway...

Takes grease, grime & paint off.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oven cleaner will eat aluminum, this was an old science trick, spray oven cleaner on a sheet of aluminum foil, then with gloves crumple it into a ball, it will start to smoke.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Easy Off oven cleaner does stain the aluminum. I have used it to soften paper gaskets.
We use the Safety Clean parts washer. It is a nonflamable solvent based cleaner. If you can find some. Brake Clean will work, but dries out too fast to work on the heavy areas. If you can't find some Safety Clean, Kerosene or Naphta/lighter fluid. Again as above these are flamable. You'll only need about a cup of it. Brush it on with a stiff brush. Let set. Brush some more on working the heavy stuff with a brush. I would suggest putting an old cardboard box under it unless you want to stain your driveway or kill your grass. Clean your brush out, then use a regular water base cleaner, working it in with the brush. Then hose it off. Let dry then you can paint. Then don't forget to flush out the inside with new gear oil, to help remove moisture. Also make sure you hit your lube points for the throw out bearing and fork pivot.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 12-13-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a lot of aluminum on a motorcycle. It gets greasy, stained and collects a lot of road grime.

S100 is made for bikes but works great on any greasy metal as well as chrome.

Spray it on, power wash or use a high pressure garden hose on the transmission, done.

No brushing, no dead grass, no driveway damage, no residue, no gaskets or seals eaten up.

Carry on.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

The Easy Off oven cleaner does stain the aluminum. I have used it to soften paper gaskets.
We use the Safety Clean parts washer. It is a nonflamable solvent based cleaner. If you can find some. Brake Clean will work, but dries out too fast to work on the heavy areas. If you can't find some Safety Clean, Kerosene or Naphta/lighter fluid. Again as above these are flamable. You'll only need about a cup of it. Brush it on with a stiff brush. Let set. Brush some more on working the heavy stuff with a brush. I would suggest putting an old cardboard box under it unless you want to stain your driveway or kill your grass. Clean your brush out, then use a regular water base cleaner, working it in with the brush. Then hose it off. Let dry then you can paint. Then don't forget to flush out the inside with new gear oil, to help remove moisture. Also make sure you hit your lube points for the throw out bearing and fork pivot.

So will throwing it in a solvent based parts washer not ruin anything internally? Are you plugging the shaft openings? Bc that seems very easy and I have access to a cuda parts washer. Detergent based plus heat for manufacturing equipment.

[This message has been edited by Detainabull (edited 12-13-2015).]

Misred

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredSend a Private Message to MisredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100 Avgas from an airport. No not jet fuel. It cleans like hell & evaporates quickly. Doesnt stink like car gas. Can even use it with an air pressure gun. But it is as flammable as brake cleaner...use it wisely.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super Clean is junk. I bought some and it dont even clean the sap and bird poo off the rubber roof of my RV. On parts, I usually just use Simple Green and a power washer. For paint on a trans case or similar parts, I like Duplicolor 'Cast Iron' or 'Cast Aluminum' paint. Makes cast parts look like right out of the factory. I have a friend with a 72 Pantera and it has an all aluminum block and transaxle. He sat down with a dremel tool for weeks and polished it all to look like chrome before installing them.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super Clean is for grease, not organic material.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a fan of brake clean or throttle body cleaner and a good brush.
There are also engine degrerasers in aerosol cans made by GUNK.

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes you want to cover the axle shaft openings. Better if you have a set of inner joints to throw in. Mainly using the solvent based to work the brush into the heavy spots. Not to spray all over.
We also had the hot water detergent based washer. They suck on anything that is old built up grime. But does a good job after a solvent cleaning.
PFF
System Bot
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok cool...I have an extra set of axles I can use to plug or I'll just turn down a rubber cork to squeeze in and seal it. Our parts washer is basically a spray with hot water and detergent and does not submerge it. So maybe a combination of a few things will clean this trans right up. I appreciate all of the input. Thanks guys
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Super Clean is junk. I bought some and it dont even clean the sap and bird poo off the rubber roof of my RV.

Roger, spray it on there and wait about a minute for it to soak in. Then try cleaning it off. The stuff has always worked great, and got a lot of crud off of my super charger.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Old gasoline works well.

Don't smoke...

About the best degreaser I have ever found, but like said Don't smoke if you want to live.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It takes s little bit of elbow grease (and two boxes) but I use SOS pads to clean mine. Dont underestimate the power of SOS!
Kit
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havent had any luck with it on anything at all. It dont even do as good a job on tires as Fantastik or 409 which makes them real nice and black after removing all the road grease that turns them brown. I used the rest of it to clean the floor tiles in the bathroom. On the RV white rubber roof, Simple Green took everything off and made it all nice and sparkling white without even using the power washer.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-19-2015).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had luck with either the brake cleaner and brush, or for something real dirty, Gunk engine cleaner, and a stiff brush. Let it soak for a while then take it to the local diy car wash and spray it clean.

Bob
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what a home media blaster would do. I have one but never tried it. Id use probably crushed walnut shells, make sure all openings are sealed up tight.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2015 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I wonder what a home media blaster would do. I have one but never tried it. Id use probably crushed walnut shells, make sure all openings are sealed up tight.

If you are going to do any kind of media blasting, walnut shells would be the only thing to use. Anything else would just be a disaster.

Personally, I wouldn't do any kind of blasting unless it was going to be rebuilt. Media manages to find its way in no matter how well you seal something up.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea def not going for the rebuild. Just want it cleaned up and looking nice when I start putting this swap together. Trying to keep things pretty neat looking the first go around.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock