Fiero with Luggage Rack? by Perk
Started on: 12-09-2015 01:10 AM
Replies: 25 (1123 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 12-16-2015 09:27 PM
Perk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerkSend a Private Message to PerkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever seen a Fiero GT with a luggage rack before? This is a first for me. Was this an odd option back in the day? Here is the pic of one I found that sparked my curiosity.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Perk:

Has anyone ever seen a Fiero GT with a luggage rack before?

Oh sure. It's not too common, but it's not terribly rare either.

Here's one from the current Craigslist in my area...

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, could be ordered.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever used a luggage rack for luggage???
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yup, could be ordered.

The rack was an available option on all cars except the Indy and Formula. That being that the spoiler was a non-delete part of the Indy and Formula trim package.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one In storage if anyone needs one to haul Christmas presents to grannies house. I replaced the hood with one with a spoiler.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

Misred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredSend a Private Message to MisredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a spare hood with a luggage rack hanging on the wall in the shop. More shop art ?
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT luggage rack is an oddball but I would not necessarily call it "rare". You don't see them that often but when you start looking for them they're out there.

There recently was a GT for sale on Ebay with the rack. I was going to post it but figured you guys wouldn't think it was anything special.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I once used an 85GT with spoiler to haul cargo. I had to pick up a carton of display board for a screen printing job. I thought I could get a case of 28 x 44 board into the front. NOT!

I put it up on the deck lid and the sail panels and spoiler held it in place as I drove 40 miles back to work at interstate speeds. The carton was so heavy I didn't even have to strap it down.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-09-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My first, an 84 with Turbine 13 inchers went from Detroit to California once. To Texas twice. She also took a half dozen trips rafting in Pennsylvania. Each one was with "The Great Blue Cooler" hanging on to the rack. One of those larger coolers. It was a sight, and many folks commented on it.

Ha! I even moved a stuffed chair with the little 84. Had to make due at 20 years of age.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only time I've (personally) seen a luggage rack used was for transport of a Fiero door.
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the rack on my 84 notchback to carry four folding chairs and a floor lamp. We went shopping, and saw these items on sale. As we left the store I said "oh crap." Wife asked what was wrong and I said the Fiero. Back into the store for bungee cords.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone on here had a picture of a Fiero with a washing machine strapped to the decklid....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Someone on here had a picture of a Fiero with a washing machine strapped to the decklid....

And look... it's even a GT.

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

I have one In storage if anyone needs one to haul Christmas presents to grannies house. I replaced the hood with one with a spoiler.

That doesn't look to bad. I kind of like it. I like your wheels.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still no idea what the wheels came off of.

this is how it looks now.

KMFDMFAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KMFDMFANSend a Private Message to KMFDMFANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

still no idea what the wheels came off of.

this is how it looks now.

I believe those were an option on the PT Cruiser around 2002 or 2003?

[This message has been edited by KMFDMFAN (edited 12-09-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have spare luggage rack deck lids for both my GT and notchback for when ever I want to haul something I just swap it out.

Back in the day on my old Fiero, I used to use it so much I kept a foam pad and straps in the trunk.

But my spares now don't have good paint so I don't worry about a foam pad.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a ski rack that I fastened to the luggage rack many winters ago.... eventually graduated to a mini-van (four kids).
I also used the rack to cart stuff to the marina for my sailboat in the spring - including a ladder...
Lots of cars have roof racks - pretty much the same idea.

It's an excellent handle for moving the cars inside the barn.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

It's an excellent handle for moving the cars inside the barn.

I thought that was what the factory spoiler was for.
PFF
System Bot
luvfierosforever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@ Jason88notchie, I had an 86 I bought new and I never used the rack for luggage. However, I did use it to move a bookcase through downtown Ann Arbor while my sister was moving in college and again to haul the skeleton of a rocking chair a couple hundred miles north to my parent ' s house. Got a lot of interesting looks and fortunately, no damage.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, back in the day.... traveling between college in Iowa and my parents home in PA, I would back every nook and cranny of the car with my stuff for school....and that included the luggage rack.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been criticized for having a GT with a spoiler and an aftermarket luggage rack. But it was on the car when I bought it,, (apparently dealer installed from the paper work). It looks better than holes in the decklid so I left it there.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marvin Minarich had this one at Fierorama a few years ago...

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And look... it's even a GT.

Wonder if this is the same guy....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/095457.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock