Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How bad does the drop top kit for fieros leak???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How bad does the drop top kit for fieros leak??? by pavo_roddy
Started on: 12-07-2015 03:25 PM
Replies: 5 (273 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 12-08-2015 10:18 AM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I wish I could ask a more educated question, but I do not know enuff.... If someone could break the question down to be more "fitting" that would be awesome!!! By fitting, would mean best results possible, give or take...?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had literally dozens of convertibles, from VW to Mercedes. As a general rule, they all will leak wind and water under certain circumstances, no matter what. Its part of owning one. Used to be the same with sunroofs and t tops, but those seem to have improved. You just have to set your mind if you own one, at some point its going to leak. I had a Corvette targa top and you actually got wetter with the top in than out in a good rain. In the rain you just got hit with the drops. With it in, it would pool up and pour in by cupfulls when you stopped, started or turned. I even spent nearly $1000 replacing all the window and roof seals (new OEM) and barely slowed it down. Left outside with the top in during a heavy rain meant 4" of water on the floorboards. I even drilled 1" holes in the corners to let it drain.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I view all convertibles as sunny day cars. I am finishing a Fiero convertible right now with a California Convertible./ LA Machine/Brisa kit . It looks like the weatherstripping will hold back rain but the kit was produced in California where it hardly rains. Looking at the kit construction carefully, it looks like it has good seals, but it will surely leak. Like Roger said its just the cost of owning a rag top.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which kit or conversion do you have? I got mine to be very water tight, but it took some trial and error. I had a Holland Pontiac conversion. I drove mine all summer, rain and sun.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 12-08-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Which kit or conversion do you have? I got mine to be very water tight, but it took some trial and error. I had a Holland Pontiac conversion. I drove mine all summer, rain and sun.

As above I have the California Convertible / LA Machine / Brisa Fiero Convertible kit. That is the kit that has the one piece retractable top and it fits only on the notchback. Its very different than the two piece Intermoda design. The car for my install is an 85GT. The problem is that the alignment of the windshield header piece and the top are not precise. This will require a very soft weatherstrip. I just have little confidence that it will not leak.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

As above I have the California Convertible / LA Machine / Brisa Fiero Convertible kit. That is the kit that has the one piece retractable top and it fits only on the notchback. Its very different than the two piece Intermoda design. The car for my install is an 85GT. The problem is that the alignment of the windshield header piece and the top are not precise. This will require a very soft weatherstrip. I just have little confidence that it will not leak.

I was asking the OP

The other kit is "Automoda". For the LA Machine, take a look at the convertible tops used on 80s camaros/firebirds (at junkyards, if possible), otherwise sunbirds and such. I am familiar with the LA Machines, but have not owned one. That may help you come up with something that is flexible enough.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock