Battery cables by 85fieroguy
Started on: 11-29-2015 01:51 PM
Replies: 4 (536 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-30-2015 10:54 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
During the winter, I take the Fiero out to warm it up at least 2x a month if the weather is good ( dry, no snow, slush or rain). In the garage I disconnect one of the battery cables. The positive is a pain with the heat shield. I'm told to disconnect the negative cable instead. Does it make any difference which cable is disconnected??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

I'm told to disconnect the negative cable instead. Does it make any difference which cable is disconnected??

Yes... it makes a big difference if your wrench happens to touch "ground" while disconnecting a battery terminal.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I boight a quick-disconnect off Amazon. Not perfect, but it works.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you had issues if you leave the battery connected?
My Fieros might sit in the barn for a month or more if the roads are salty. I've never disconnected the batteries.
A mechanic friend with 4 hobby cars stores one in my barn for 6 months. He disconnects the battery.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ECM etc draws enough standby power to make battery low in 1 - 5 weeks.
Normally is not a problem But Freezing Weather can freeze the low battery.

Can a Car Battery Freeze?
Google: car battery freeze temperature

Battery does not care what term is pulled... As above, Neg term first won't dump 200+ amps when your tool hits the frame.

If you have power then battery tender et al can help. Just connect the charger and leave battery cables alone.
Warning: Most should not use any charger outdoors for storage. Even if wiring is 100% good and charger is out of weather because the cable(s) can be a tripping problem, cut by snow shovel/blower, etc. If that doesn't kill anyone, You could get sued for this and Insurance might pay then cancel the policy. (No Home insurance means big trouble for your mortgage.)
If car is outside then pull battery and take inside and charge if needed. Inside storage (Temp > 50°F) for the battery doesn't need a charger connected all the time.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock