Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Oil Change on 88 Iron Duke... Question ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Oil Change on 88 Iron Duke... Question ? by robert1234
Started on: 11-28-2015 01:38 PM
Replies: 31 (1701 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-08-2015 10:35 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just started to work on my 88 iron duke and I wanted to change the oil and filter. It took awhile to find the filter, but I got one. My 88 formula was just easy.........but duke, ...uuuhhh

My question: Is there a video on this ? Because I cant get that crazy large plug off to change the filter.

Its inside the oil pan.

Need suggestions and all the info I can find please !!! Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should be pretty straightforward. Just make sure you have the correct size socket so you don't round off the hex like this guy did:

The guy kind of hacks the job but you can get the gist of it. Its the only video I've seen that shows that design Duke.

If you mess up that big metal cap.... Used to be you could get replacements at the parts store. I don't know if that is still the case, but either way, use the right socket so you don't have to mangle it to remove it.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you try...
Get Lisle 53000
Made to remove stuck/strip filter plug.

Google Amazon etc for Lisle 53000

Dorman.com has/had new plug w/ seal. Get thru many places.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you a million times over Ogre !
I got one cheap on ebay...and free shipping !!!!

Can't wait to try it.

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
I'm confused, if I'm under the rear of the car facing toward the front wheels...

Which way does the filter cap turn to loosen.....the link says counterclockwise.
I thought it would be clockwise....Which is it?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

I thought it would be clockwise...

Which way do you normally turn something to loosen it?
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Righty tighty
Lefty loosey
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Righty tighty
Lefty loosey

There's a reason why the terms "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" are used in regards to tightening or loosening a threaded fastener. They make a whole lot more sense!

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Righty tighty = clockwise
Lefty loosey = counter-clockwise

Hey Robert: Note the blue additions in the quote above.

Whether you're standing on your head, lying down or whatever, think of 12:00 o:clock as toward your head & 6:00 o'clock as toward your feet if you're facing the fastener.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Patrick:

There's a reason why the terms "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" are used in regards to tightening or loosening a threaded fastener. They make a whole lot more sense!

Lol! Yep, Patrick you're right. The terms may, however, be losing their effectiveness as analog clocks fade into antiquity.
What's clockwise on a digital clock? I've seen a few kids puzzled by that concept until it's explained...

Like the phrase "Hang up the phone."

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

What's clockwise on a digital clock? I've seen a few kids puzzled by that concept until it's explained...

I've seen more than a few kids (as well as adults) apparently puzzled by the concept of "right" vs "left"... and I'm not referring to politics! There's no hope.

Righty tighty
Lefty loosey

PFF
System Bot
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not new to working on cars....I just wanted to make sure before I did it......I'm new to Fiero's, so I have questions about them.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So long as it's not a reverse threaded fastener. Those you usually find on rotating shafts though so the direction of rotation causes the fastener to get tighter.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not new to working on cars....I just wanted to make sure before I did it......I'm new to Fiero's, so I have questions about them.

What field of engineering are you in? Automotive engine management engineering would be a big plus; lots of people struggle with sensor issues...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

So long as it's not a reverse threaded fastener.

Unless our friend Robert is changing his oil filter in some Bizzaro World garage, I don't believe this is an issue here.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So long as it's not a reverse threaded fastener. Those you usually find on rotating shafts though so the direction of rotation causes the fastener to get tighter.

Righty, tighty; Lefty loosey, gets confusing with left-hand threads. So does clockwise; counter-clockwise.
You have face away from the fastener, manipulate the wrench behind your back and watch in a mirror.

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm an Electronic Designer and Mechanical engineer.
See that touchscreen on your phone, I'm responsible for the improvements that got it to your phone from the early days of touch.

I have some original touchscreens when they were $1500 each.

I design all types of products.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent background for becoming a Fiero mechanic and trouble-shooter.

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My problem is:
1) I do not have all the tools I need...yet, but never stopped me before
2) I do not have a lift, so its difficult to do anything under either of my cars, but I'm working on a solution for my garage. I do not like jack stands...at all.

My 88 Formula, I just put over 2000 miles since I purchased it a few months ago and got it running good.

All my $$ have always been in Electronic Test equipment and some in tools for auto repair.

But, I'll get where I want to be with both cars, just takes time.

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

See that touchscreen on your phone, I'm responsible for the improvements that got it to your phone from the early days of touch.

I have some original touchscreens when they were $1500 each.

I design all types of products.

As an ME, the "right hand rule" as used for resolving vectors may be more familiar. Point the thumb of your right hand ( for right hand threads) in the direction you want the fastener to move to loosen or tighten and the direction that your fingers curl is the direction to rotate the fastener. In the case of the filter cap, you want the cap to move down away from the pan. Point your right thumb down and your fingers will naturally curl in a counterclockwise direction (as viewed looking up at the cap). Use your left thumb for left hand threads. Same convention for direction of engine rotation....point your thumb towards the direction of power output.

[This message has been edited by jazz4cash (edited 11-28-2015).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Gosh, please no formulas or right hand rules, no physics or Time-of-Flight calculations, No Electromagnetic Radiation formulas, that will drive you crazy (Hummm, but I do have an 88 Formula. LOL)

I'm trying to get away from that and work on Fiero's for a change in life. LOL
PFF
System Bot
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh Gosh, please no formulas or right hand rules, no physics or Time-of-Flight calculations, No Electromagnetic Radiation formulas, that will drive you crazy (Hummm, but I do have an 88 Formula. LOL)

I'm trying to get away from that and work on Fiero's for a change in life. LOL

Ok...lefty loosey / righty tighty for you! LOL...I think if you give it a shot it will become completely intuitive and you won't even think about which way to turn a threaded fastener.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

Ok...lefty loosey / righty tighty for you! LOL...I think if you give it a shot it will become completely intuitive and you won't even think about which way to turn a threaded fastener.

I worked in a machine shop for almost 11 years and have been working on cars and tractors since I was 16. I still find myself visualizing in my head which way to turn the wrench on a fastener according to it's orientation to me. Yes the right to tighten and left to loosen is automatic, but which way is right for the bolt on the other side of the block that I'm getting from the bottom? From the top?
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I worked in a machine shop for almost 11 years and have been working on cars and tractors since I was 16. I still find myself visualizing in my head which way to turn the wrench on a fastener according to it's orientation to me. Yes the right to tighten and left to loosen is automatic, but which way is right for the bolt on the other side of the block that I'm getting from the bottom? From the top?

Again...point your thumb (or visualize) in the direction you want the bolt to go (e.g. to loosen the bolt on the other side of the block, your right thumb would point away from the block)....try it. Instead of using the orientation of the fastener to you, this trick uses the orientation between the bolt and the block.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A visual aid helps

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received my GM duke oil cover removal tool today $9.00 and free shipping.
It was still in the package...new from the late 80's.......nice price too !

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the GM tool, made it stupid easy
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

A visual aid helps...

This makes infinitely more sense to me.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are under the car on your back looking up at the filter then the standard conventions still work but if you are visualizing this from above it goes all ass backwards!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

If you are under the car on your back looking up at the filter then the standard conventions still work but if you are visualizing this from above it goes all ass backwards!

LOL My favorites are when I have to reach around and behind or under something so I can't even see the fastener I am trying to reach.... Maybe doing it left-handed for some additional confusion! Helps to carefully check the ratchet beforehand to make sure its set to tighten or loosen, whichever is appropriate.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This makes infinitely more sense to me.

Same to me but rhyming is fun
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Thats the thing no matter where you are you should visualise it as if you were looking head on, like the image above. Whether you remember clockwise or righty-tighty.
I kinda use my hand movement too, when tightening the finger and thumb cross over a certain way, the opposite for loosening. I'm sure we all have our own tricks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock