3D Printer, project idea.. by Orig88GT-NC
Started on: 11-27-2015 10:04 PM
Replies: 7 (298 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 11-29-2015 05:29 PM
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't own or have access to a 3D printer, but do have somewhat of an understanding of what their capabilities & limitations are.
I've noticed several posts where people were wanting to reproduce parts for our cars. (some ideas maybe better than others).
I don't believe the item that I'm suggesting has been brought up before and it should be very simple to produce(on a 3D printer)..
Using a black NinjaFlex 3D Printing Filament, couldn't new Rear Wing Stand Gaskets be produced pretty easily?? I think there might be a market for such an item......

any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm working on getting the stock wingstand gasket reproduced to exact specs. It will take some time since I have a 24 hour real job and this is secondary but it will happen.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10251 posts
Member since Aug 2007
But to answer your question, I don't know of a 3D printer that can print in rubber yet and be an accurate gasket. By accurate I mean no print grooves or lines.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-27-2015).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you can improvise the wing stand gaskets if need be with a trimmed rubber pad about an 1/8 thick and a little bit of silicone for extra an extra good seal... Definately not OEM style with the little extra lip that was on them origionally!

For the collector and ease of everyone not having to make them, however, it would be a great idea!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Yeah, I'm working on getting the stock wingstand gasket reproduced to exact specs. It will take some time since I have a 24 hour real job and this is secondary but it will happen.

That's great to hear, glad somebody has given this some consideration.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:But to answer your question, I don't know of a 3D printer that can print in rubber yet and be an accurate gasket. By accurate I mean no print grooves or lines.

I have not worked with a 3D printer myself, just throwing the question out there... as for a rubber material the Ninja-Flex is a flexible rubber-like product (used to print drive belts, little tires ect..).
I agree that it seems 3D printing appears to leave ridges/grooves and a properly made mold for casting or injection would produce the best possible product.
Just wondered if this gasket could be made with a 3D printer with descent results.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make them cover them in thin layer of car bog.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how well that stuff would do in the sun. Might be easier using some sorta liquid rubber stuff. depending on the material used, there are treatments you can do which eliminates the lines.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 11-28-2015).]

jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tinkercad.com
You can log in with facebook and within a hour you can get through the simple tutorials and be modeling 3d parts. I've got a printer as well as a few other people on the forum, start designing parts!
The gaskets you suggested could be made with ninjaflex but it may not be very UV resistant. It's worth trying and if it seems like a part worth making right it can be injection molded.
https://youtu.be/7_CNnaOf5B8

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 11-29-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock