Started on: 11-25-2015 08:11 PM
Replies: 16 (953 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 11-28-2015 12:43 PM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread has been closed by OP

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny I just saw a MR2 last week for the first time in a long time. Also it was running and with no rust. It must have has something up with the suspension as one corner was sagging.

They all rotted out here in Ohio and most also needed more engine work than they were worth. Rare sight today.

But Fieros are still pretty common here in NE Ohio. I have seen many new top me of late in pretty good shape along with the normal beat up ones.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a red '88 MR2 near me. I see him occasionally. The car seems to have been garaged. It looks OK when parked, but sounds like a dying chainsaw. There is something wrong with the suspension. The right rear wheel gets air when hitting a bump, and the body of the car yaws to the right. Then the car bounces several times.

Most of the MR2s around here have fallen victim to cancer, but were long since abused. I'm not sure if poor quality or hard driving did in the drive train, but they come up for sale as ”good body, good interior, blown engine, unknown transmission, 10xK miles”. Many of them are already on their 3rd or 4th engine. There are 7 or 8 nearby with frozen transmissions. It could be the linkage, or rust, but with the engine, transmission, and body all shot, and the interior not far behind, who cares?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of buying a new MR2 in the early 90s. Went into the dealership so I could take one for a test drive. They told me that if I wanted to test drive one I have to buy one first. Never gone near a Toyota dealership since.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I was thinking of buying a new MR2 in the early 90s. Went into the dealership so I could take one for a test drive. They told me that if I wanted to test drive one I have to buy one first. Never gone near a Toyota dealership since.

In the US of A, apparently this is what people want. Even laws must apparently be passed before we can find out what is in them.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Must be a better survival rate for MR2's in this neck of the woods. They're as common here as any other car from the same era.

There's a damn fast one that kicks my Formula's ass whenever it comes out to autocross. It's a turboed '91...

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the 2nd gen MR2, I owned one for a little while. It's a great car and it really gets noticed wherever it goes!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should try King of the Hill. The MR2 by me looks OK, but I agree that the 2nd gen looks the best. With a decent motor, perhaps it'd sound better.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-27-2015).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero had nearly 3 times as many sales as the MR2 during any given year in its life time.
http://www.wedriveexcitement.com
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the 3rd gen ones. I've never driven any MR2s so I'm just going by looks here.

The Gen 1s all pretty much rotted away here years ago. Can't even remember the last time I saw one.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He mentions the Fiero as power steering right at the start that first video.

Re sales. While sales in the US might have been higher, the MR2 was sold world wide. We used to have a mk1 in the UK and that thing could motor. It was though smaller than the Fiero. I was a lot slimmer back then than I am now and I only just fit in the MR2 while I can still get in the Fiero, even if it is a, shall we say, cozy, fit LOL

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comparing the 1st gen MR2 to the Fiero, one thing comes to mind. Last ability.

Every Fiero anyone will ever see has no rust (on the panels.) Why? Because of the material used.

Every MR2 and I mean EVERY MR2 I see has rust on the panels. The Fiero will live on and on, but the MR2 will eventually rust out.

The second gens however are very nice. I was on my way to work in the morning waiting for the light to turn. And a 2nd gen pulled up next to me. I was excited cause I thought it was a Fiero until I saw the side. Me and him of course raced, and he must have put in too much throttle cause he ended up over steering, than SNAP. He had the snap over steer and almost took me out. The 2nd gen looks nice, and they are fun. But they can be dangerous if you can't control the snap.

The Fiero has this issue as well, but you can make it very mild with the right equipment.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 1986 I drove a friends MR2 and I liked it and enjoyed the driving experience of a two seater car. I bought my 87 GT in March of 87.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Every Fiero anyone will ever see has no rust (on the panels.) Why? Because of the material used.

Every MR2 and I mean EVERY MR2 I see has rust on the panels. The Fiero will live on and on, but the MR2 will eventually rust out.

Plenty of Fieros rot away. The rust just isn't as readily apparent.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Plenty of Fieros rot away. The rust just isn't as readily apparent.

Right. I mentioned that the panels aren't going to rust. The frame however as everyone knows will.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
Right. I mentioned that the panels aren't going to rust. The frame however as everyone knows will.

This makes Fieros difficult for people to determine condition. You have to check all the culprit locations for rust, rather than the body, as many people are wont to do.

The Fiero looked fast, but GM prevented it from being the car it appeared to be. The MR2 was actually in a different market, therefore, despite the similarities; it had no corporate strangulation. Of course, what other cars did Toyota have to worry about? Their disposable sedans still sold just fine. The supra was just an interlude (and those obviously also rusted away). Despite the corporate politics at GM, at least there is some thought that goes into their vehicles, rather than just mechanically pushing them off the line and out the door.

I think the mimdset of the owners, in general, is also different. MR2s are disposable. They're toyotas, after all. The owners are concerned with appearances, speed, flash, glitter, boost, and fun. They don't seems to care about longevity or substance. Fiero owners, on the other hand, are cheapskates. They don't want anything to happen to their car, and will do what it takes to keep it on the road, no matter how badly it looks. As I'm typing this, I'm also remembering all the Fieros that were just parked--often while still running--and left in a barn, field, or whatever. Just ask yourself, how often is an MR2 stripped down and restored? I've asked someof the owners the same question, and they thought about it, then said the MR2 wasn't worth it. Even when I asked what they'd do, they didn't care; they'd get another car, and didn't care if they couldn't get another MR2.

I've observed the disposable nature of cars. My neighbors have mostly vehicles from the 90s or older, but there are a few with newer vehicles. The older vehicles are mostly driveable, and rarely go to the shop. Repairs cost little. The newer cars are replaced every year or two--usually after the owners get stranded. The older vehicles are Ford Explorers, Ford Rangers, Chevrolet Cavaliers, Buick Skylarks, Chevrolet Silverados, Chevrolet Ventures, some Cadillacs, a Buick Century, a Chevrolet Suburban, a Chevrolet Impala, a Dodge Dakota, and a Ford Tempo. The newer vehicles are Toyota Crammies, Honda Accords, Hyundai Elantras, Hyindai Sonatas, and Toy Piouses. To be fair, there is a Jeep Cherokee with a blown engine, and a Mitsubishi SUV that hasn't run in the last 6 years. I've spoken with some of the neighbors about this, and their attitude was that they bought their vehicles new, and would drive them until the vehicle stranded them. They further stated that no new car would last as long as their current vehicle. I had to laugh, because some of these vehicles weren't known for reliability.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-28-2015).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key to the Fiero over the MR2 is

#1 the pure numbers built

#2 The Fiero is easy and cheap to fix. The MR2 can be costly to repair and often more than the car is worth.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock