Started on: 11-14-2015 01:48 AM
Replies: 22 (723 views)
Last post by: Slammed on 11-16-2015 10:37 PM
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who offers the sail windows with the accurate dot matrix? I know someone does, I just can't find them

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-14-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero store
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aw. Couldn't tell from the pictures, thanks!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Store (posted elsewhere) carries GT windows from Chris Cook (gtfiero), and from khines. Chris' windows have the dot matrix pattern. You can find him on ebay. It's usually about $220 a set. You can read up about these windows in other threads.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're planning on obtaining a set to create molds, I advise against it. While those reproductions are quality products, they are NOT the same shape as the OE windows. They are a lot flatter and do not have some of the complex curves found on OE windows.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have perfect originals to make molds from, I want to talk with them about the printing
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2015 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be very observant of the way the black is put onto the window. There are windows available from Fiero vendors that have the dot matrix screen printed, but the large black background is applied with a different method and with a different ink that doesn't bond well. You can tell by a demarcation line running vertically just ahead of the front border of the dot matrix. Whatever coating is used doesn't bond well to the acrylic. I have over 30 years in screen printing acrylics. So as not to bash any Fiero vendor and get bashed myself, you can contact me through email or pm and I'll give you some details on some processes and coatings. There's also a good vacuum-forming company in Dallas that can do the forming and trimming after they're printed.

I lost some of my files when the PC updated to W10, but you can use MacRae's Blue Book and do a search for Automotive vacuum forming. Here's a link to get started. Major lighted sign companies can also be a good source of information. We did a lot of poly and acrylic printing, spraying and forming.

You've indicated you have CNC facilities, so printing them then milling down to size and shape shouldn't be a problem, depending on whether you have a 3 or 5 axis unit.

http://www.macraesbluebook....fm?prod_code=8744510
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2015 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a 48"x96" deep draw heavy gauge former, that's how I made the tail lights. All the molds for them were built in house in our forge and machined on our equipment. The only thing I'm not familiar with is screen printing as the tail lights are simply being painted and cleared
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2015 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Screen printing is done on flat surfaces. That's because the fabric is stretched on a wood or metal frame and has a flat plane. It's very tight and doesn't conform to irregular surfaces. It's extremely difficult to print to the very edge of the substrate, so generally the substrate has to be oversize then trimmed back into the color if the color is to 'bleed' off the edge. Bleeding is the description used to describe printing that goes to the very edge.

The ink should be one that will mechanically bite into the substrate. That way, they become one. Some of the current quarter windows have an ink or paint that's only topically adhered. It's like putting paint on non-stick aluminum foil. It may stick for a while but eventually will release. That's why I suggest you contact a large graphics company that prints acrylics and plastics. They can educate you on correct inks for your substrate and application.

Pad printing is a method that uses a silicone pad to transfer ink from an etched plate that has the image filled with the ink. The pad comes in contact with the plate then 'rubber stamps' it onto the substrate. Very high detail and printing accuracy with multiple colors. It's used for printing on irregular surfaces like the inside of the molded tail light lenses. Printing pads are quite expensive compared to screen printing but on high volume production, the method is much faster.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
The ink should be one that will mechanically bite into the substrate. That way, they become one.

I would think it should chemically bite into the substrate.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2015 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, but it becomes a mechanical bond when the chemicals evaporate. But however it's described, they need to become one rather than just stuck on the surface.

In my career, I was always doing R&D with screen printing methods and materials. I have tried inks that weren't designed for a particular substrate. Sometimes they worked. Sometimes, the printing looked good and was on the surface, but if I took my nail and scratched it, the ink would come off. It was only on the surface and not mechanically bonded. Very similar to what Plasti-Dip does. It will adhere but not bond. A common test is to take a strip of the clear Scotch Tape rubbed down very well onto the print. Then rip it off as if you were doing a hot wax job on your chest. If the ink comes off, it's the wrong ink.

Acrylic or a catalyzed polyester type ink would be the way to go, depending upon the chemical properties of the quarter windows. Acrylic for plexiglass, and catalyzed polyester for polycarb.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2015 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Who offers the sail windows with the accurate dot matrix? I know someone does, I just can't find them

Here ya go "Slammed "( wish that we knew your real name) , I owe you one. Last contact info that I had
Chris Cook
AIM Concepts
6090 Manker Street
Indianapolis, IN 46227-2162
phone no, 1-317-786-9418
I believe that Chris forms these quarter windows in a process similar to the way they made old motor scooter windshields. The contour of Chris quarter windows is not correct but the graphics are perfect.
As for the graphics, whatever process Chris uses those graphics are solidly on. He may be using a paint that penetrates the plastic or using a film heat stamping process..
Dennis
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-15-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago I talked with Chris before purchasing my brother's windows. At that time, they were being screen printed with the proper acrylic ink. The process may have changed since then as technology has evolved. Beginning back in the 80's there was a heavy move away from solvent based inks to the UV curable inks. Better detail but transparency was a problem on clear substrates. Again, technology evolved and by the time I left the industry in 96, most obstacles had been overcome.
timcha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by timcha (edited 11-16-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, you probably shouldn't post personal info on Chris in this public thread without his consent.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Here ya go "Slammed "( wish that we knew your real name) , I owe you one. Last contact info that I had
Chris Cook
AIM Concepts
6090 Manker Street
Indianapolis, IN 46227-2162
phone no, 1-317-786-9418
I believe that Chris forms these quarter windows in a process similar to the way they made old motor scooter windshields. The contour of Chris quarter windows is not correct but the graphics are perfect.
As for the graphics, whatever process Chris uses those graphics are solidly on. He may be using a paint that penetrates the plastic or using a film heat stamping process..
Dennis

Call me Micayla, call me Slammed, I don't care. The people who were kind and PMd me, have known this and more. I've had members assume I was several different people that have screwed over others on the forum and even threaten me with violence. Sorry if I'm not super eager to put personal info up about myself when I don't have anything ready to sell.
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got dot matrix GT windows from the Fierowarehouse, not sure if that is a person mentioned earlier or if they still sell them. The windows are pretty close to OEM and the paint holds up fine (7+ years)
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it was Chris' (at least it sounds like his, ebay, $220.00) I used on my white '88.

At that time the black and the matrix was very well done. However as mentioned, the fit was a tad off making placement tricky as to not leave too much of a gap between the window and body. Also as mentioned, the window was not convex like the OEM.

But my biggest complaint was that it did not have the proper tint. The fact is that it had no tint, it was absolutely clear.

However, all in all it was better that nothing and once installed only someone in the know would know it wasn't 100% correct.

Slammed, are you going to add the correct tint?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Dennis, you probably shouldn't post personal info on Chris in this public thread without his consent.

That info is for a person doing business. As soon as you run a business , that business becomes public as you are doing business with the public. Your address is no longer personal.

Call me Micayla, call me Slammed, I don't care. The people who were kind and PMd me, have known this and more. I've had members assume I was several different people that have screwed over others on the forum and even threaten me with violence. Sorry if I'm not super eager to put personal info up about myself when I don't have anything ready to sell.

Micayla is certainly a much nicer name than Slammed. Just understand that the cynicism on this forum sometimes turns heated. I was taken for $800 years back by a person who came and went. As for threatening you with violence; that is totally unacceptable. People who do that should be removed from this forum. I would report any such threats to Cliff. (the forum owner).
I wish you the best of luck in bringing this project to fruition and will assist in any way that I can.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On ebay, Chris uses the vendor name of gtfiero
grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed, I just sent a PM with images I made years ago of the dot matrix pattern off of an OEM GT window. My hope was to eventually mold my own windows and use a silk screen to print the dot matrix pattern. I don't have the time or money to even consider it now so I hope some of my efforts can help you. Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed: I am hoping and praying you can come up with true tinted, and correctly shaped GT windows with the correct dot matrix design. If they come out like I suspect your taillights will be, you can sell as many of them as you can produce. Thanks for keeping the hope alive for many owners like myself. Curtis
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grsychckn:

Slammed, I just sent a PM with images I made years ago of the dot matrix pattern off of an OEM GT window. My hope was to eventually mold my own windows and use a silk screen to print the dot matrix pattern. I don't have the time or money to even consider it now so I hope some of my efforts can help you. Good luck.

You sir have a PM. Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock