Missing bolts by painandgain99
Started on: 11-07-2015 02:18 PM
Replies: 11 (231 views)
Last post by: painandgain99 on 11-08-2015 03:14 PM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello all, hope everyones having a good day. First off, ill ask just so i know, do these questions belong here or in the technical section?

Now, i noticed some missing bolts, and a bolt that has broken off. Here are the photos

This looks like itd be a mount, for its threaded but doesnt lead to anything.. Is this a problem?
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This one underneath the plenum is missing. Not sure if its serious

This one next to the throttle body looks like someone snapped it off, should i try to get it out and put a new one in or is it not important immediately?

ive asked before about my dogbone being a bit crooked, someone suggested i might need new engine mounts soon. Can anyone tell me how serious mine is? Or how urgent id need to do this?

And last one, My engine area is filthy... everything. even the control arms to the wheels. Id like to know what I can and cant clean or a good method for doing it? I assume cleaning everything would be beneficial IF done correctly.
Also, i notice several gaskets seems to have melted over the years and are coming out of the sides, if this is immediately serious i can check exactly where but im not sure if it is.
Thats all for today, Sorry for spamming with questions guys, just at the moment this car has no plates so im trying to do everything im capable of to fix it up before i start driving it. Have a good day everyone and god bless.

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 11-07-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The missing bolts on the head and intake aren't really missing. Nothing to worry about. The heads were used on other cars and are interchangeable from side to side. The hole is probably for a mount used on another engine. Same with the intake.

The bolt at the throttle body holds that bracket. If you can get it out, replace it. It's one of those little chromed bolts like holds the rest of the manifold to the engine.

The dogbone doesn't look too bad out of position, but new motor and transmission mounts on an old engine can't hurt.

Simple Green is a good cleaner. You can wet the engine down, then spray Simple Green full strength with a trigger sprayer bottle. It may take several applications. Don't use full water pressure to rinse. Just use a light cone shaped spray so that you don't force water into any of the connectors that may have weak seals.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first photo, on my car, there is a bracket (or tag) that held the clip for the spark plug wires. If you wash the engine off with a hose, put a plastic bag around the distributor to keep water out.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gaskets don't 'melt'. RTV sealant is used in lieu of gaskets in some places in the factory build process. The excess squeezes out in places, looking like something melted. Usually aftermarket gaskets are available if you prefer.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Gaskets don't 'melt'. RTV sealant is used in lieu of gaskets in some places in the factory build process. The excess squeezes out in places, looking like something melted. Usually aftermarket gaskets are available if you prefer.

Would this be beneficial? I only ask in the first place to make sure there are no immediate problems that need attention.

Also i had another question everyone, *** I have looked a bit but havent found a good explanation on how to change the spark plugs? If this is something a 16 year old is capable of, Id like to do it myself. I just get a bad feeling about trusting mechanics with everything!
------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 16 years old

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 11-07-2015).]

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

painandgain99

375 posts
Member since Jul 2015
Sorry to bump guys, just had some cool photos to post of the fiero!

Unless any of you actually looked at my instagram, Ill inform you I do alot of photography and astrophotography! got some nice pictures of her tonight with orion just coming over the horizon!

------------------

Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing spark plugs sounded hard, but since my arms are small enough to easily reach between the rear window and the engine, the job went really well. Do use good spark plugs like AC.
BTW, I also changed the spark plug wires at the same time as I've read doing both makes life easier for the coil and ICM.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn... now those are nice night-shots!

I hope you don't mind that I took your second night-shot (that was larger than 300 kb) and just tweaked it a bit...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-08-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt my arms are as small as RexGirl's, but I have little problem with reaching around back of the engine. Having to do my work with no one to help makes removing the deck lid a no-option.

First, use compressed air to blow out any debris built up around the base of the plugs. I put my feet in the trunk and sit on the tail light ledge. Using a standard ratchet with a short extension and spark plug socket, you can put one hand around either side of the engine manifold. Once broken loose, a stubby ratchet works well to finish removal.

If you don't already have them on your plug wires, purchase a set of the metal shields that slide over the plug boots. They help reduce the possibility of the boots breaking off on the plug when you try to remove the wires. Getting a piece of plug boot off the front 3 plugs can be a chore. With the metal shield, you can give the boots a twist to break them loose from the plugs and not wring them off.

When reinstalling, I use a liberal amount of dielectric grease inside the tip of the plug boot. Helps prevent the boots from sticking. You can use a piece of rubber hose slid over the new plug to aid in installing it, but I like to just use the socket and short extension and get the plug started with my fingers before attaching the ratchet. The socket and extension give you better feel and control of getting the plug started correctly.

First time will be hardest. After that, it becomes routine.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that first area.. The screw hole off the manifold. My 88 has a tab style shield with a flat hook on it.. I think it's to prevent any wires falling on the manifold and to help keep the heat away from the temperature sensor.

Second screw area under the plenum... I have a vacuum breather tube that mounts there. The tube is like a big S shape... Starts with a rubber hose to the plenum.. Close to the thermostat housing.. Then the tube continues in metal ( 1/2" +/- ) in dia.. And connects to another rubber tube coming off the firewall. ----- actually, I think the picture is on the trunk side, not firewall... If it's on the trunk side.. I don't have any bolt of somesort in that screw hole.. Mine is empty as well

Third screw hole.. Yes, that is a broken bolt which holds the throttle cable and cruise control bracket to the upper plenum... Lose bracket, less throttle response? Not sure...

Seems as if someone changed out the motor mount to be crooked like that. I know that when I changed out my motor mount with a poly one, the manufacture had the holes not straight when drilled.. I had to fix it. That could have been the problem?... If they were changed.. If not, the motor mounts are pretty bad

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-08-2015).]

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Damn... now those are nice night-shots!

I hope you don't mind that I took your second night-shot (that was larger than 300 kb) and just tweaked it a bit...

Looks good 👍 awesome.

And thanks guys, i guess i wont change them until i have new wires and whatnot. Im just worried about how urgent that dogbone situation is

------------------

PFF
System Bot
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

painandgain99

375 posts
Member since Jul 2015
Update, i put a paper clip in my scan plug and checked the codes. It kept flashing code 12. Over and over. I waited about 4 cycles and figured that means there are no other codes. So i assume this is good? But it does not tell me why i have a high idle. I ordered a scan tool that tells real time info, rpms, intake and all sorts of stuff. Hopefully that will help

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock