How to remove steering column by painandgain99
Started on: 11-01-2015 11:47 PM
Replies: 15 (710 views)
Last post by: Danyel on 11-11-2015 08:29 PM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all...ive been having a time with this car. I opened my decklid today to find a rat chewed up half of my trunk seal. Not sure what kind of language is prohibited on here, so ill leave it at this: i was very upset at the rat and im buying poison tomorrow. Also found rat droppings on my plenum. So ill have to find a seal eventually. Anyways

After a pivot pin remover breaking off inside of BOTH of ky pivot pins, im deciding to just replace the column. But i cant get it out. Removed the 2 brackets and all the bolts, but i cant find where to unplug the (black and purple i believe, seperate from the main bunch) wires. Or how to get the knuckle it connect to at the very end apart. Would love some guidance. Also, would love if anyone had a wobble free steering column for sale?

Another little question, there is water leaking out from between the decklid plastic and metal. Not sure if its condensation built up on the inside or if its normal.

Last but not least, im going to charge my dead battery. My dad being in california and Me never doing this before, do i just hook it up to the bolts going into the battery? Sorry im only 16 and ive never done this before.

Hope you all had a good holiday and godbless. Would appreciate any help

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Remove trim cover below column - (4) 7mm screws
2. Unplug long flat electrical connector on pigtail from column.
3. Remove bolt from U-joint on shaft down by the pedals - (1) 1mm bolt
4. Remove nuts from studs holding column to dash support - (2) 15mm nuts
5. Remove bolts holding column to dash support - (2) 15mm bolts

The column should be free to drop down onto the seat.

6. On the left side of the column, remove the hi/low beam plug by squeezing the tabs together and pulling straight out.
7. On the right side of column, remove the ignition switch plugs by squeezing four tabs and pulling the two plugs out of the switch. Some wiggling is needed.
8. On the ignition switch, remove the small screw holding the auto trans shifter lock cable bracket and cable.
9. Remove the pigtail from the cruise control stalk. The plug is flat and has four small diameter wires in a sheath.
10. The column is now ready to pull from the car. You may need to separate the clamp on the u-joint by prying it a bit to ease removal. Be sure not to pull the intermediate shaft apart when removing the column. You can do this by sitting in the seat and holding the u-joint with your feet as you pull the column to you.

Good luck.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are awesome olejoedad.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awww, shucks. Twernt nuthin'.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A GM dealer would have charged $678.75 for that information...
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant get the column seperated from the u joint? I took the bolt all the way out, pulling as hard as i can while holding the part that goes down into with csr with my feet. Should i spray some liquid wrench on it?

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 16 years old

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is a pinch bolt setup (honestly, I can't remember, it has been so long since I pulled columns)... just stick a screwdriver in the space and wedge it in there to open up the "pinch".

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

If it is a pinch bolt setup (honestly, I can't remember, it has been so long since I pulled columns)... just stick a screwdriver in the space and wedge it in there to open up the "pinch".

Perfect, came right out. Thanks!

------------------

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As stated in my post....

"You may need to separate the clamp on the u-joint by prying it a bit to ease removal. "
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting the column back in now--- its obviously the same process backwards but any trick on getting the shaft back into the u-joint? Im having alot of trouble keeping the u joint open and still while trying to push the column in. Does this require 2 people?

------------------

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Still can't get it in

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how you would fit two people in that small of space. When I install a column, I kind of angle it so that it's pushing down on the U joint which keeps it from moving. Not sure if that's helpful or not.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my steering column in, plugged everything in, but now the car wont start. Its acting like the battery is dead. The chime will go off upon turning the key, fuel pump sounds. Then i turn it- and nothing? But the battery is reading fine? Im charging the battery now just incase but im worried. There is one tiny wire missing on the steering column i got that i noticed, its the smallest one with the smallest plug and i believe it was the cruise control wire. Thats the only thing i could think of that could be causing this. Any ideas guys?
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Validate your ''clutch in" switch ... dont know its real name thought ... its a cut off switch attached to the clutch pedal ... car wont start if the clutch pedal is not engaged.....

Danyel

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 11-11-2015).]

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

here is a picture of the plug for the wire, and i had him send me a pic of the wire as he has my old column.

Originally posted by Danyel:

Validate your ''clutch in" switch ... dont know its real name thought ... its a cut off switch attached to the clutch pedal ... car wont start if the clutch pedal is not engaged.....

Danyel

will try that right now
Update: that did it, i knocked the little plastic clip off of the clutch switch when i was installing the column. Figured it wasnt relavant and put it in the ashtray. Snapped it back on and it started right up. Thanks danyel
------------------

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 11-11-2015).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:
Update: that did it, i knocked the little plastic clip off of the clutch switch when i was installing the column. Figured it wasnt relavant and put it in the ashtray. Snapped it back on and it started right up. Thanks danyel

Your Welcome ...... regards
Danyel

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock