Building a spare parts stash by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 10-31-2015 07:35 PM
Replies: 7 (209 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-01-2015 03:55 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking of building a stash of spare parts for my 87 GT 5sp. What are some common mechanical items that I should have on hand to quickly get back on the road, and even some things I should carry with me in the trunk on long road trips?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few things that I can think of off the top of my head to keep in the car with you is a fuel pump relay, an ICM, spare fuses, and the tools to change the ICM inside the distributer. I'm sure I'm missing a couple things but I'm sure somebody will chime in and add to the list.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ICM = Ignition Control Module (for anyone just starting out)
I'd also make sure you have some heat sink compound to go with the ICM. Computer CPU heat sink compound will work.
Fuse kit was already mentioned too.

Ignition coil, Cap and rotor is also a good idea.
Fan belt.
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Penetrating oil. PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench are good penetrating oils.
Tire repair kit. (much better than having to use your temp spare that may have dry rotted over the years and you're 200 miles from home). Still have the temp spare just in case, but I'd try to plug the tire if possible.
Basic tool kit.

Cell phone
Cell phone charger
Credit card for emergency repairs (meaning don't plan on maxing out your card on vacation and not have credit available should you break down)
AAA membership isn't a bad idea either.

The fuel pump relay is nice, but not required. There are two on the car.

Either the oil pressure relay or fuel pump relay can turn on the pump. If the fuel pump relay dies, you have to crank the engine long enough for oil pressure to build, then the pump will turn on. However that assumes both are good and you haven't been driving with 1 dead relay for a while. Check them both and if they're both good, that's your spare relay.
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the AAA Membership. I just had to replace my first ICM about two days ago, at the time I didn't know why my car had just decided to up and die and I didn't know how to change the ICM myself, I'm taking Auto Tech at my high school right now and with AAA they tow your car anywhere within 50 miles at no extra charge. Towed to the shop and my teacher helped me out and she's back on the road. AAA paid for itself just in that case alone for me.
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I carry is a AAA card.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Number one rule for long road trips in a Fiero:
Start looking for gas at 1/3rd tank. (1/2 tank if you're paranoid)
Kit
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on a trip to Florida this summer I made sure to take a spare ICM, headlamp, & the standard tools for disassembly (7mm/10mm/screw drivers). Wife thought it was a good idea to get AAA, & we had around $100 in cash for emergency.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've changed my ignition control module twice on the side of the road while waiting for the tow and neither time it was the cause of my problems. Nevertheless I carry a spare and the tools to change it.

Other than that AAA with a 200 mile tow is my primary tool.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock