Monsoon head unit issues - but stock unit works by rednotdead
Started on: 10-28-2015 01:51 PM
Replies: 9 (978 views)
Last post by: rednotdead on 04-25-2016 11:23 AM
rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been trying to replace my stock Delco with a Firebird Monsoon unit - the kind with cassette deck and equalizer, and it's been giving me a rough time. Using the correct harness and antennae adaptors, both Monsoons (yes, Ive now purchased two, having assuming the first was faulty) have the exact same symptoms:
1. Backlighting, cassette eject/insert mechanism, and clock all work fine
2. The unit will not turn on

Odd thing is, that my stock unit still works fine, even having reinstalled it.

My initial guesses and thoughts:
- I notice that one of the pins on the stock harness is missing, and there is no wire to it either. On the following diagram (assuming this is correct) I remember it being one of the following: M, E, H, or K. Either that pin is somehow needed by the Monsoon but not the stock Delco, or this is a red herring (unnecessary to both). http://www.tehnomagazin.com...-connector-audio.gif
- I did the installations without removing the negative battery cable (bad practice I hear). Could this somehow affect both Monsoons without affecting the stock unit? Perhaps worth mentioning.
- The harness adaptor itself is faulty. Visually it looks okay though.

Any thoughts guys? I'm a bit under the gun, one or both of these Monsoons will need to be returned soon :P Any input is greatly appreciated, as always. If I have time I'll take some pictures.

Unrelated - has anyone had an issue getting the Monsoon to fit properly? There is an extra protruding bit not found on the stock radio, and its really been giving me a headache - just wont go in.

[This message has been edited by rednotdead (edited 10-28-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to check it out in better light during lunch break- indeed it's pin "E" (remote power/power antenna) that is missing. Feeds into Ignition power 12V on the newer harness. Is it common that Fieros are missing that pin and wire? For reference, I have a pretty barebones Formula - no power anything of any kind, AC aside.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All about the Firebird Monsoon Cassette
http://ls1tech.com/forums/s...644-monsoon-faq.html

It looks like this? Is Theftlock deactivated?

This is the diagram you are referring to?
Pinouts are different from one that matches the Fiero in link below.

GM radio Wiring diagram
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.asp

This is the kind of 12-pin to 21-pin adapter I used with my Delco Monsoon CD

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-29-2015).]

Horse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HorseSend a Private Message to HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you removed the Monsoon unit with the original factory plug it has four sections, there are some wires that are not used on the original monsoon plug. DO NOT use the large GREY section of the plug (see picture below) it has wires with duplicate colors that are not used. Just match the wires from the monsoon plug to your original plug color for color, for example yellow on the monsoon plug to yellow on the Fiero plug, black on the monsoon to to black on the Fiero and so forth it is that simple, the orange on the monsoon plug goes to the orange on the SEPARATE TWO WIRE PLUG on the Fiero. When you run out of colors on the original Fiero radio plug you are Done wiring. You either have to remove the surround to install the Monsoon radio first or you have to trim the metal mounting tabs about 1/8 inch on each side if you do not want to remove the surround. You will have to use some 1/4 inch spacers behind the tabs tabs to make the radio mount forwards so it fit flush with the trim plate, make sure it is flush with the ac controller.

Monsoon Radio Wiring color code:

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Pontiac Fiero Stereo Wiring Information

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

This is the adapter, you will not need it if you wire in the original monsoon plug to you existing harness, keep both plugs so you can have the option to go back to original.

Also you will need an antenna adapter.

[This message has been edited by Horse (edited 10-29-2015).]

rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses guys, especially those great images. I'm 99% sure I found the problem, (though I haven't tested tried the solution just yet) - the open "power out to antenna" pin was just the tip of the (small) iceberg. After looking carefully at the wiring of the harness adaptor I purchased, and comparing to the diagrams, it is apparent that I have an incorrectly assembled adaptor on my hads: the "antenna power" and "12V ignition" wires were switched. Should be easy to fix, just a quick solder or even cut, twist, and tape job.

Yeah, that Theftlock thing is dicey - but as I purchased both my Monsoons from online vendors who tested, at least one of them has got to work. I bought one for 30 bucks, and the other (rather pristine) with an aux input and warranty for 100. Now the question is, which do I sell, or do I keep both for parts...?

[This message has been edited by rednotdead (edited 10-29-2015).]

rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soldered it up, electrical issues all fixed.

Unfortunately now I can't get it to fit back in - I think the location of the harness jack isn't playing nice with something in the back but Im not sure yet. Complicating things further, I didn't realize how brittle the plastic mounting frame had become after those 27 years and was a little less than gentle with trying to wiggle it back in... the environmental control panel mount crumbled into multiple tiny pieces. Anyone know of a solution for this? I might just take the easy way out once (if) I get the head unit in properly, and place a foam spacer between the two and call it good.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get yourself a nice piece of 1/4" wood and cut yourself out a new face panel. Stain and clearcoat it and it will look nice....and be custom too. If you dont want woodgrain, cut it out of lexan and paint the backside of it.
rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont feel like making a new thread for this, so just gonna keep it here:

Got the car back from the tranny shop finally, so I'm working on this radio again. I decided to just go ahead and fix the screw holes and console skeleton with JB Weld and Quiksteel epoxy, seems to have worked out alright. AC controls are back where they should be.

But the Monsoon radio still wont fit.

It seems that the rear pin bracket is obstructing the adapter socket - it didnt even occur to me earlier as Ive seen so many pictures of Fieros with these units with no mention of this problem. But Looking at the pictures of the original 4th gen Firebird pin brackets, it does look like they have a cut to one side for adapter clearance.

Fiero:
http://cliff.hostkansas.com...tereobeforesmall.jpg
Firebird:
http://i497.photobucket.com..._luthor/IMAG0388.jpg
http://images.crutchfieldon...3332/radiocavity.jpg

Am I on the right track here, or am I overlooking something? And what should be my next step - file down my Fieros bracket until the adapter clears? Id hate to do something time consuming and permanent, but if it comes down to it...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rednotdead:

Soldered it up, electrical issues all fixed.

Unfortunately now I can't get it to fit back in - I think the location of the harness jack isn't playing nice with something in the back

The rear bracket needs to be relocated or removed altogether.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137797.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The rear bracket needs to be relocated or removed altogether.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137797.html

Thanks fierosound!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock