Leaky roof? by Detainabull
Started on: 10-28-2015 07:32 AM
Replies: 6 (176 views)
Last post by: Detainabull on 10-30-2015 05:37 PM
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 notchie hardtop. I've started to notice after it rains that the headliner is damp. Most of the moisture seems to be right below the "groove" in the roof line where the notchback tucks under the roof skin. Is there anything in that particular area that could be allowing water to seep through?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you park under a tree? Water should just run off to each side unless you have junk packed in the seam. Use a toothpick to clean it.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PO had it under a pine tree so it took a lot of washing to clean it up. Still very well may be gummed up in there somewhere. I'll clean on it some more. Thanks
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pine trees are the worst....and you have some big ones in Durham. try 'goof off' or one of those citrus cleaners, but confine it to the seam....
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea they're horrible around here...I feel like everytime I'm able to get a cheap project car it has been gunked up by sap from the trees.
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Detainabull: ............... Most of the moisture seems to be right below the "groove" in the roof line where the notchback tucks under the roof skin. Is there anything in that particular area that could be allowing water to seep through?

You will probably have to drop the headliner panel. Could be leaking around the (roof/rear clip) mounting studs, there are (3) right around the area you are describing. The Nut/Washers, when installed had a little Butyl sealant around the stud before the nut/washer were set. (I would think silicon sealant would also do the trick)

*For getting Pine Sap off, I've always used Turpentine on a soft cloth / tested first on an unseen area, and cleaned up after with soap and water and reapplied car wax /
Road Tar - Mineral Spirits - same procedure..

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok awesome.... Thanks for the tip guys. It's in swap progress right now but id hate for it to get water inside from just sitting so I'm trying to stay on top of it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock