Started on: 10-25-2015 02:50 AM
Replies: 27 (851 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 10-31-2015 08:37 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The time has come to try to sell my Fiero. I had been out of the Fiero game for about a decade and missed them. I bought an '87 GT (with a 3800) this summer. Nice enough car but I'm getting older and fatter and don't fit in a Fiero the way I used to. My knees are feeling the effects of age, too so it's been rough getting in and out. I've done a bunch to the car so I'm losing money all around but it can't be helped.

I'll post something in the Mall this week when I have a chance to take some pics. Basically, just whining right now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awww man,

That is sad news. If the reason isn't because you need money I would tuck the car away over the winter,(if you don't use them over the winter) buy a stationary bike,(or get a monthly gym membership) and use that to lose some weight and help with the knees.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Nice enough car but I'm getting older and fatter and don't fit in a Fiero the way I used to.

As TDA is suggesting... get rid of the fat instead of the Fiero. Makes for a win-win situation.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I need the money but even if I lose the weight, my knees are still shot. I've already had surgery on one and will probably need surgery on the other in the next couple of years. I rarely drive the Fiero. It's nice but not nice enough to endure the discomfort. I probably won't get what I owe right now so it will probably sit over the winter anyway.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, no, no, no, no...
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like Monkeyman is off his meds....
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Monkey man. I feel your pain. Over the past several months I have gotten discouraged over the Fiero situation. I have noticed the pain in the area were your thumbs attach to your hand, close to the wrist. Went to the Dr & was told it was like Ortho arthritis? That is both the left and right hands. Some thing along that line. I am probably as old as you are. Luckily I don't have knee issues. My car is a daily driver. It seems like I am always working on it. With Constantly working on it, the loudness of the exhaust & the pain in the hands by the wrists, it gets to the point of me thinking of getting rid of the car and get a used VW wagon.
I wish you the best. As my wife and I say the golden years suck!
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I still love Fieros and would like to have another, I know it will never be a daily use vehicle if or when I get one. I let mine go for similar reasons, but it wasn't my knees although one is pretty bad. It was the arthritis in my neck. Getting in and out of a vehicle so close to the ground, and mine was still stock height, was just to much stress on my neck and I couldn't handle it anymore. Sucks because I have always been drawn to vehicles that are close to the ground. Even when my parents bought the 84 Chrysler LeBaron as the "Family Car" that was 90%+ of the time driven by me, I dreamed of lowering it. Then I got my Nissan truck and had it close enough to the ground to knock dummy dots off the road. Maybe when they fuse my neck bones someday it won't be as hard to get in and out of low vehicles again.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I have noticed the pain in the area were your thumbs attach to your hand, close to the wrist. Went to the Dr & was told it was like Ortho arthritis? That is both the left and right hands. Some thing along that line.

Just this past week I had both of my hands X-rayed multiple times and a battery of blood tests taken to determine why I've been feeling soreness in all my finger joints for the past six months or so. I'm currently 59 years of age. My dad suffered from terrible arthritis of his fingers for the last ten years of his life before he passed away at age 95. All the joints in his fingers swoll up, totally disfiguring his hands/fingers, and doing simple things such as removing lids from jars became a painful if not impossible task. I'm hoping to avoid the same issue.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you guys tried the glucosamine supplements as well as limiting salt intake?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Have you guys tried the glucosamine supplements as well as limiting salt intake?

Yes I have but for my neck it doesn't help. My knee it helped some but my neck is um... well, screwed. I don't know if you know where the lamina are on a vertebrae or not, but you have a left and a right on each. Easier with a picture.

You have 10 vertabrae in your neck. They removed the left lamina completely and most of the right so they could flex the bone and get to my spinal cord. They did that on the 5 vertebrae C3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 so they could cut open my spinal cord and remove a hematoma. That was when I was just shy of 10 years old. I don't know if you've ever seen what bone looks like when it heals, but lets just say I don't have a normal joint relation between most of the joints in my neck. 34 years later it's not the easiest thing to live with. Doctors said some time in my 50's they'll need to fuse the bones in there and I'm nearing my 50's.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-25-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I have gotten older, I believe that my Fieros are shrinking as I hit my head on the roof getting in and getting out is harder every day. Of course the extra 70 pounds I carry may have something to do with it.

This one is still available for someone who wants a V8 Archie car. ZZ4 V8 five speed.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this sounds terribly familiar..........
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to get another Fiero sometime. When I do though, I'm just going to find one that's finished and I can just have it to drive on occasion.
CarolinaRigman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got wrapped up in a sewer cable machine on a sewer main in Durham NC by myself at 3:30 on a sunday morning
or saturday night and twisted my spine. I have to get injections 3 times a year into my spinal chord all the way through the
three protective layers as shown in the photo. I also have three sets of nerves on both sides of my lumbar spine
above my hips cut into with lasers on needles every 15 months. I'm gonna be 59 next month. The accident happened in 2009.
Now my left knee decides to go out! It's difficult to say the least. I'm thinking about putting a handle inside the drivers side
roof for a hand pull point to help me out.
I was a commercial plumber since 1974 and lots of things happen too us and it seems so unfair, but I'll be X@#x if I'ts gonna stop me
from driving or working as I can on my Fiero. It's kinda stripped down right now but with the help of the members on this Forum and
The Good Lord it will see the road again Soon!!
I'm thinking about having my wife join a gym to work out with weights so she can pull me out!

I just hope my Fiero, which was a gift from my Daughter can be given back to her when I don"t need to drive any longer.
I never even considered selling it. Even during a chapter 13 bankruptcy
Life goes on my friends, lets try our best to make the things we like to do during it a pleasure and enjoy what we have.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have bad knees and carry extra weight as well. Came real close to selling the Fiero a month or two ago but didn't. Now I'm glad I still have it and I've been driving it the past few days, knee pain and all. I just won't be doing any long trips in it, glad it's an automatic though!
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman, let me know what you decide. I might be interested.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had my back surgery 3 years ago and my hip is still in pain. Just bending over pushes my limits. Can't drive a manual or ride a bike, petal or motor. Love to get another Fiero but not in the cards.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HandyBar Car Transfer Handle by Stander

Getting in the Fiero is not so bad. Getting out...well.. If the Fiero had a standard door latch this would be perfect. You guys probably seen it on TV. I even considered it, but like I said, wrong latch. My Dad used to say how it's such a pain to get in and out of the Fiero. I was in my early 20s then. And I used to poke fun at him for it. Years later now I get it...Karma.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although he had to do it very gingerly, my dad at age 95 could still get in and out of my Fiero. So I'm hoping to still being able to do it myself for a long time to come... injuries notwithstanding. I'm into my third year of Iyengar yoga. It definitely helps!
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

As I have gotten older, I believe that my Fieros are shrinking as I hit my head on the roof getting in and getting out is harder every day. Of course the extra 70 pounds I carry may have something to do with it.

This one is still available for someone who wants a V8 Archie car. ZZ4 V8 five speed.

I was very close to buying Orief's Fiero... we talked and were not that far off price wise; your car has also been in the back of my head as another very well put tougher V8 car.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the day comes I can't get out of my Fiero, I guess you will all have to bury me in it.

BTW for arthritis people try/look up MSM just amazing, also don't buy it in the bottle way too much $$$ get it from a "horse feed store" for pennies on the dollar.

Holy crap Fierobear, I thought you dropped off of here long ago, ah the good old days.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Many years ago I suffered a knee injury while playing hockey, and although surgery wasn't required, my knee ached for several years afterwards. I tried glucosamine supplements, but I can't say I honestly noticed any improvement with it. (My salt intake has never been high.) My knee doesn't bother me anymore, but occasionally when the weather changes I'll still feel a slight twinge.

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

BTW for arthritis people try/look up MSM just amazing, also don't buy it in the bottle way too much $$$ get it from a "horse feed store" for pennies on the dollar.

I dunno about that... when I read articles like This, I think I'll leave MSM for the horseys.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-28-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I dunno about that... when I read articles like This, I think I'll leave MSM for the horseys.

Really, youngagain.org, talk about some real BS, look it up, there are tons of studies, sites like that base there info on nothing, I really mean nothing, but hippie talk. Look it up, get some real facts. Or don't believe me and be in pain your choice. If you don't believe that the human body has sulfur as one of the primary make ups go believe the hippies, how often are they right?

I only said horse feed store as trying to save people money.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-28-2015).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When the day comes I can't get out of my Fiero, I guess you will all have to bury me in it.

Holy crap Fierobear, I thought you dropped off of here long ago, ah the good old days.

Interesting

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-28-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really, youngagain.org, talk about some real BS, look it up, there are tons of studies, sites like that base there info on nothing, I really mean nothing, but hippie talk. Look it up, get some real facts.

Is the Mayo Clinic official enough, or are they being run by hippies now?

Are there any adverse effects from long-term use of MSM for arthritis pain?

Brent A. Bauer, M.D.

That's not an easy question to answer because there's not a lot of research on the long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). MSM is formed using dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), an organic form of sulfur that's also used as a dietary supplement.

Animals observed for 90 days on a daily dose of MSM five to seven times greater than what's typically used in people had no serious problems. Stomach upset, diarrhea and headache have been reported in human trials of MSM lasting up to 12 weeks. However, people taking a placebo also reported similar symptoms.

Since little is known about the long-term safety of MSM, it's no surprise that the efficacy also is unclear. Some studies have shown slight improvements in arthritis symptoms, but these studies were small and short term, so no definitive conclusions can be made.

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, including arthritis, more research is needed to determine its benefits and risks.

I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing much of an upside.

You're the one who brought it up. How about if you supply a credible link that champions its use.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-28-2015).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, dude. Yeah, about a year and a half ago, I bought a different daily driver. Haven't driven a Fiero since, but mainly because I have some kind of power drain in my 88GT, and haven't gotten around to troubleshooting it. And I'm either flying or relaxing as much as I can in my little bit of spare time.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I used to be a Fiero driver like you till I took an arrow to the knee"
The guy I bought my first Fiero from was an older gentleman with knee problems. He was crying when he sold it, it took him a half hour to be able to actually hand over the keys. His son was there and I dealt mostly with him , in order to give his dad some time alone with his car.it was really sad. At least he sold it to a Fiero lover...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock