Pivot pin remover broke off by painandgain99
Started on: 10-22-2015 04:02 PM
Replies: 6 (1227 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-23-2015 08:51 AM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So within a half hour of receiving my pivot pin remover for my steering column ive been waiting for in the mail, i got to work and it broke off. Inside of the pivot pin. Currently trying not to get mad and break it further. So the easy part will be getting a replacement pivot pin remover. The hard part will be getting the bit of it that broke off inside of the pivot pin.. how do i do this? Do i drill it out with a bit? This friggen car has been parked without a steering wheel for 5 days 😂 having to buy tool after tool

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In similar situations (loose steering column), it's often been suggested in this forum to just swap out the steering column with a good one. It's a whole lot less work... if a column is available to you.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

In similar situations (loose steering column), it's often been suggested in this forum to just swap out the steering column with a good one. It's a whole lot less work... if a column is available to you.

At the moment, i dont have the money for a new column. Keep in mind im only 16 😂i just have to figure out how to get the broken pivot pin remover out of the pivot pin
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

i dont have the money for a new column.

I said nothing about a "new" column. A good used one might be had for next to nothing, depending on where you might find it. However, the experience of fixing this one will stay with you a long time. I repaired one about 20 years ago and decided I never wanted to do it again.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I said nothing about a "new" column. A good used one might be had for next to nothing, depending on where you might find it. However, the experience of fixing this one will stay with you a long time. I repaired one about 20 years ago and decided I never wanted to do it again.

Ive been asking around craigslist and theyre going for 60-100$ out of parts cars. Right now i have none lol. Now im trying to remove the column from the car so i can fix it inside and the lower bracket bolts wont come off and i do not want to break them. So frustrating
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

So within a half hour of receiving my pivot pin remover for my steering column ive been waiting for in the mail, i got to work and it broke off. Inside of the pivot pin. Currently trying not to get mad and break it further. So the easy part will be getting a replacement pivot pin remover. The hard part will be getting the bit of it that broke off inside of the pivot pin.. how do i do this? Do i drill it out with a bit? This friggen car has been parked without a steering wheel for 5 days 😂 having to buy tool after tool

Was the pivot tool made in china? I've removed those pins with nothing more than a long screw with a large washer on the end near the head. Put the jaws of a pair of channel locks over the screw "not gripping it" and start wacking repeatedly towards the washer end of the screw.

Later on I bought the entire "steering column service kit" made by Matco and it came with the pivot tool.

Seems like you need to drill out the broken piece and tap some new threads for a second go at it. Once everything is back together your column should give you years of service. A used one can put you in the same boat your in now.

http://www.matcotools.com/c...0/PIVOT-PIN-REMOVER/

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I used a bolt/screw to remove it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock