Started on: 10-16-2015 04:55 PM
Replies: 16 (506 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-18-2015 09:11 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry if you clicked this thinking it would be a cool build thread using 100w SM LEDS. Maybe in the future.

I never liked how close people would pull up behind me at night. EVERYONES headlights shining right into my car. I wonder if these would force people to back off a bit

http://www.eachbuyer.com/10...-7500lm-p179290.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick way to get a ticket, or your car impounded.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used to back people off by letting extra fuel into the exhaust, then using a plug to ignite it while stepping on the gas.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:
I never liked how close people would pull up behind me at night. EVERYONES headlights shining right into my car.

Even when SUV etc doesn't tailgate you, Fiero rear window is height as the headlights for them.

If your Fiero does have a dimming interior mirror, get one. They help allot.

Originally posted by dobey:
Quick way to get a ticket, or your car impounded.

Very Likely.

Plus you can't just high power LED in taillights.
Contrary to popular myth... All LED generate heat to make light. Just small ones can dump that heat thru the leads and case.
As chris posted in TOT... Above uses same heatsinks as many PC CPUs does, often w/ fan(s) and allot of air flow.

Many "plug and play" LED sets to replace normal bulbs won't last as advertise because the Fixtures are small and can't dump heat.
Not just cars... Many LEDs (and Most CFL) to replace normal 120vac household bulbs Hate enclose fixtures like most outdoor fixtures. They won't last long in them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

We used to back people off by letting extra fuel into the exhaust, then using a plug to ignite it while stepping on the gas.

That's it, with an exhaust flame thrower; if they get too close, you just burn the living sh*t out of them. What could be simpler, send a strong positive message and be more cost effective? I can see this becoming a major seller but IMO this type of apparatus should be mandatory OEM equipment . While you are not busy roasting the tailgaters, you can use this method to roast chicken in no time.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
That's it, with an exhaust flame thrower; if they get too close, you just burn the living sh*t out of them. What could be simpler, send a strong positive message and be more cost effective? I can see this becoming a major seller but IMO this type of apparatus should be mandatory OEM equipment . While you are not busy roasting the tailgaters, you can use this method to roast chicken in no time.

The next step after the ”finger”: ”the roast”!

Actually, I'm sure emissions standards now preclude doing this exact thing. Also, people used to stay firther back, and this was just a friendly reminder; now, the whole front of their car would be damaged, because tailgating is so bad that they could latch on. I don't know what I'd want flames anywhere near my Fiwro, anyway.

One of my greatest fears of driving my Fiero is that of being rear-ended. Any accident would be the end of my Fiero, but I can avoid most other accidents.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
The next step after the ”finger”: ”the roast”!

Actually, I'm sure emissions standards now preclude doing this exact thing. Also, people used to stay firther back, and this was just a friendly reminder; now, the whole front of their car would be damaged, because tailgating is so bad that they could latch on. I don't know what I'd want flames anywhere near my Fiwro, anyway.

One of my greatest fears of driving my Fiero is that of being rear-ended. Any accident would be the end of my Fiero, but I can avoid most other accidents.

I don't know. Works well for Lamborghini:

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm I bet I could get my 350 to throw some flames... But only out the sides. No rear facing pipes.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And even more recently, from just one week ago:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-17-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lambos catch fire...

In both cases it appears they're REVing the engine while standing still.
Looks like hot exhaust rich in gas fumes accumulates and is what catches fire.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-18-2015).]

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found that using my windshied washers helps sometimes
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is actually something I do have. Rear facing squirt nozzle's. Hilarious!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

That is actually something I do have. Rear facing squirt nozzle's. Hilarious!

I want to have those, with a separate reservoir filled with differential oil.

I also want to pump ATF into the exhaust, but I also don't want to kill my cat. Nobody has ever been able to tell me whether that's likely to happen or not.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO..some of you guys are nuts !!!!! LOL.. Been considering doing a exhaust flame set up, but not sure how. Seems you need a spark plug threaded into the pipe with a switch to ignite, and a source of a " drip" of gasoline into the pipe.. A kid in the neighb has a rice burner and he down shifts to 3rd or second and leaves a " flame " 4 feet coming out of the exhaust pipe. pretty cool at night.. Cheap way to reast marshmellows.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I want to have those, with a separate reservoir filled with differential oil.

I also want to pump ATF into the exhaust, but I also don't want to kill my cat. Nobody has ever been able to tell me whether that's likely to happen or not.

If you dump ATF in before the cat, it will definitely not be good. Ignoring the fact that the cat itself would have a significantly reduced service life, the cat is over 1000 degrees F, well beyond the flash point and autoignition temperatures of ATF. It ould be very hazardous to do that.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you dump ATF in before the cat, it will definitely not be good. Ignoring the fact that the cat itself would have a significantly reduced service life, the cat is over 1000 degrees F, well beyond the flash point and autoignition temperatures of ATF. It ould be very hazardous to do that.

I'm just picturing the white cloud, ala Seafoam. ATF will be much less expensive, though.
Maybe it needs to go through the engine / ignition process, instead of just letting the cat burn it off.

Edit - or maybe inject it just after the cat. Since the exhaust leaving the cat ought to be at or near that temperature, it should have a similar effect without killing it.
Keep in mind that this is not something that I would leave on, all the time. Just enough to discourage tailgaters.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-18-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I'm just picturing the white cloud, ala Seafoam. ATF will be much less expensive, though.
Maybe it needs to go through the engine / ignition process, instead of just letting the cat burn it off.

Edit - or maybe inject it just after the cat. Since the exhaust leaving the cat ought to be at or near that temperature, it should have a similar effect without killing it.
Keep in mind that this is not something that I would leave on, all the time. Just enough to discourage tailgaters.

Just use water/glycerin. Just install a fog machine in your bumper.

I wouldn't inject it into the exhaust though. Cold water + hot exhaust = cracked exhaust.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock