Fiero done as a rat rod by BrittB
Started on: 10-15-2015 11:08 PM
Replies: 27 (1401 views)
Last post by: Chris Hodson on 10-28-2015 07:19 PM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that everything is getting the rat rod treatment these days, I saw a picture of a BMW done up as one and it didn't look too bad. We were having this discussion at work and I wondered, has anyone seen it done to a Fiero yet?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda...

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I love the look of a natural patina on a Fiero.

"fake" rat rods are crap. I've seen people take brand new cars and take a sander to them to "weather" the paint. Just stupid. It never looks right.

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ I've seen people do that to guitars, too. If you want a guitar that looks like its played in a thousand bars, then go buy one.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

^^ I've seen people do that to guitars, too. If you want a guitar that looks like its played in a thousand bars, then go buy one.

Even cameras! I've seen where people picked up an old camera like a Nikon F (readily available at swap meets for $150) and rubbed off much of the chrome plating and paint and maybe put some little dents in it and now they've got something with character. Heck it may have covered the Kennedy assassination or the Vietnam war! The patina proves it!

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

^^ I've seen people do that to guitars, too. If you want a guitar that looks like its played in a thousand bars, then go earn one.

Just made me think.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 10-16-2015).]

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Even cameras! I've seen where people picked up an old camera like a Nikon F (readily available at swap meets for $150) and rubbed off much of the chrome plating and paint and maybe put some little dents in it and now they've got something with character. Heck it may have covered the Kennedy assassination or the Vietnam war! The patina proves it!

But its crap. A car or camera or guitar that is worn and dented has character, has stories. Something that has been "relic"d has one story, " I was well taken care of until some asshat decided to vandalize me."
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But its crap. A car or camera or guitar that is worn and dented has character, has stories. Something that has been "relic"d has one story, " I was well taken care of until some asshat decided to vandalize me."

Exactly.

I always wanted to buy one and restore it back to like-new condition. All that patina GONE.

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeans sold with holes already in them...
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't get me started on the reliced guitar fad. I know the difference because I've seen enough of them and real is always easy to spot vs. fake. As for a Fiero, I'm not convinced it would look good, it would take too much to make it look right and at that point it would make more sense to me to start out with something else. My car has patina in spades and has that well used, unrestored look. I figure nobody would want to got to jail for stealing a Fiero that looks like that so it's a theft deterant as well!
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BrittB

453 posts
Member since Dec 2013

Originally posted by Formula88:

Yeah, I love the look of a natural patina on a Fiero.

"fake" rat rods are crap. I've seen people take brand new cars and take a sander to them to "weather" the paint. Just stupid. It never looks right.

That is the dumbest thing ever!
PFF
System Bot
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just looks to me like the person couldn't afford a decent paint job. Just a stupid fad in my opinion.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

It just looks to me like the person couldn't afford a decent paint job. Just a stupid fad in my opinion.

A long lasting fad as I remember using the term "rat rod" to describe our 27 buick with straight bodywork but faded paint over 25 years ago.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

When I was in high school and then some, we had a saying. "Beware the car in primer." Generally guys would spend all their money on the engine and drivetrains, and it would take quite a while before they had money to paint it.

(All my guitars are in pretty nice condition for their age, except one that I bought at a pawn shop and refinished)
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant what some guys are doing with cars like that Camaro in this thread. Not a real rat rod that's built with odds and ends parts. I've always liked those.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this article on reliced guitars today, so correct IMHO.

http://www.premierguitar.co...ou-relic-your-guitar
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone has one on Louisville CL

http://louisville.craigslis.../cto/5241378861.html
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rod Rat?
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I've had someone tell me a few years ago that some dents and scratches on my Wide Glide would add character. I just looked at them like they had three heads. The only scratches that I wanted to see is some polishing swirl marks!!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People sometimes call my Fiero a rat rod. But I don't do goofy stuff like using a lawn chair as a car seat, or using vice-grips as an impromptu steering wheel. But there are parts from several different cars, plus some homemade stuff. Oh, and the car has 3 different colors of primer on it.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-23-2015).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's more cool than you think!

Originally posted by Blacktree:

People sometimes call my Fiero a rat rod. But I don't do goofy stuff like using a lawn chair as a car seat, or using vice-grips as an impromptu steering wheel. But there are parts from several different cars, plus some homemade stuff. Oh, and the car has 3 different colors of primer on it.

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A mess of several gm cars, bmw, & home made parts. Longitudinally mounted SBC 350 hooked to a olds tornado trans from the late 60's...Does this count ? Maybe to much paint idk...

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

That's more cool than you think!

Now that looks awesome ! I love that tilt front end ! I
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need rust color paint, road signs as floor boards and a beer keg as a gas tank, think hillbilly here not unfinished car.
Rat rod = hillbilly = cool "a rat rod"
Unfinished car = I don't have enough money for paint = ghetto

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-28-2015).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a chuckle out of this quote.

Hot rodder and freelance journalist Brad Ocock said of the rat rod trend: "There's a huge difference between rat rod and beater. A beater has potential. A rat rod is something someone threw together to make a statement, and usually that statement is, 'I don't know how to weld. I had a bunch of crap lying around and realized there was enough to put together a car but didn't want to put any effort into it.'"

This is pretty much my opinion as well. My Fiero is not a rat rod. But people sometimes mislabel it as one.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This one is around central Florida.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:
A mess of several gm cars,

Wasn't that how Fieros got built at Pontiac in the first place? If that's what makes a car a rat rod, then I guess every Fiero that rolled out of Pontiac is a rat rod.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Wasn't that how Fieros got built at Pontiac in the first place? If that's what makes a car a rat rod, then I guess every Fiero that rolled out of Pontiac is a rat rod.

BOOM. lol. There ya go. Im diggin that roof rack.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock