what to do with fieros by abobaen
Started on: 10-14-2015 06:19 PM
Replies: 10 (318 views)
Last post by: abobaen on 10-14-2015 11:40 PM
abobaen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello, long time lurker, first post, so im sorry if i have the wrong forum. anyway long story short my grandfather is a collector of things and i have wanted one of his fieros for many years, (these are definitely projects) but he called me up the other day and basically gave me 5 of these little dreams. there is an 85 manual with the duke, 2 86s 1 with auto GT and a manual notchback car, an 87 manual GT and an 88 manual GT, problem is i dont have room for 5 fieros, i want to take on the 88 as my project, use the sunroof from the 87 (i know you can swap the skins to accomplish this, but can you go from the 88 to the 87?) and am planning on selling the two 86s, (or parting them out if i cant find i buyer i like) the GT ran like 10 years ago, and i suspect the fuel pump is bad (no fuel at the rail) the SE was in a flood but has good albeit plane jane interior, wondering what they are worth, mostly just need to get rid of them, but i would probably cry if i had to scrap them. they are all iowa cars so there is a fair amount of rust on them, and the GT sat under an old cottonwood tree so the paint is pretty well shot. thanks for any responses and sorry about my atrocious grammatical and punctuation errors.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all welcome!

You can swap the body from the '87 to the '88, but you may regret the sunroof later.

It's a little confusing, because you say GT, but there were 3, if I read correctly.

Certainly avoid the SE, due to flood issues. There is a great Fiero club in Iowa, with a lot of knowledge. You may want to get some advise from them. You may want to keep the tank, headlight motors, and headlight module from the '87, if they're in good condition. Probably keep the best interior parts (seats, center console, steering wheel, surrounds, cluster, HVAC, etc) from the Fieros. Personally, I'd recom,end starting with the one with the least rust issues, and put all the best parts on it, keeping some spares.

As I'm sure you know, fluid flushes, battery replacement, and new rubber are in order.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would definitely keep the hardtop. If there were one thing I could change on my car it is that. I do not have leaks or anything but I think they look do much better without. Also it seems there are so many less hardtop cars out there.
abobaen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well there are 3 GTs, the 87 and 88 that im keeping for my projects, and im going to sell the 2 86 cars one being the gt and the other an SE. the 85 is a four cylinder thats just going to stay where it is for now, in a building with glass broken out and raccoon damage. i havent decided if im going to try to get both the 87 and 88 driveable or to swap tops and use the 88 as my only car. why may i regret putting the sunroof on the 88? is it a problamatic thing or more a preference thing? does anyone have any contact info for the iowa club? id like to offer the two 86s to someone who will use them for parts or get them going. i had a guy offer me 500 for the pair of 86s today, but he doesnt have the money right now. so im still sitting with 5 cars and nowhere to put them.
abobaen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

abobaen

15 posts
Member since Oct 2015
by the way, thanks for the welcome, cheers!

[This message has been edited by abobaen (edited 10-14-2015).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
never near my house LOL SIGH....

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Maryville, Tennessee
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

abobaen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but is that an appropriate asking price? i have fieros out the butt, but i dont know what they are worth. i know they are worth alot to ME, but i dont think most people share my love of these cars in the general public.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by abobaen:

why may i regret putting the sunroof on the 88? is it a problamatic thing or more a preference thing?

1. There are FAR fewer hardtop Fieros around than there are ones with sunroofs installed in them, so if the car was originally delivered from the factory as a hardtop and the "rare" factor is important to you, then keeping it that way is very desirable.

2. Sunroofs frequently LEAK. The seals rot and must be replaced or the latches break, which are getting more and more difficult to find replacements for.

3. Hardtop Fiero owners don't have to use up front storage space to stow the sunroof glass if they want to take it out.

4. *Personally*, I like the smooth, "slick", more modern look of the Fiero GT with a hardtop and no wing.......but that's obviously a personal preference since my GT is a hardtop.

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 10-14-2015).]

abobaen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I may keep it factory, but as for worrying about where to put the sunroof, from the factory it was designed to be placed right over the factory spare tire under the hood, if I do the swap I will defiantly put the parts that are necessary for the sunroof to store where it belongs when not installed on the roof. Gm engineers thought of this while building the car unlike the t tops on Trans ams or corvettes.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by abobaen:

i had a guy offer me 500 for the pair of 86s today, but he doesnt have the money right now.

He may as well offered you $50,000 then.

In regards to a sunroof in a Fiero... I love them. Over the course of 20 years I've owned three Fieros with sunroofs... they've all been stored outside... I live in a rain forest (seriously)... and none of the sunroofs have ever leaked. (Just need to make sure the four drain holes aren't plugged with debris.)

I usually have the sunroof open while I'm driving for ventilation, and even without the sunroof being removed, the inside of the Fiero seems less claustrophobic. The only time I take the sunroof right out is when I'm autocrossing... every pound removed is an advantage.
abobaen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for abobaenSend a Private Message to abobaenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that's why I'm considering the sunroof swap, I feel like it's only feasible for me to own 1 fiero. (I have many other interests like I want a jeep and I want a classic pontaic, either a 61 non bubble top or a 65 gto, my pops owns both, we have an old Pontiac graveyard of sorts) and I will eventually do a 3800sc engine swap on the fiero I keep and that will be that, I just need to get rid of the fieros I don't need, getting back to pertinent questions what should I ask for the two 86 fieros in poor condition that I don't need? I can give more information on them if need be, I just need to know what they might be worth.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock