Fiero Fiberglass side scoops by trivet
Started on: 10-12-2015 01:20 PM
Replies: 12 (852 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-09-2021 03:08 PM
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I'm looking at investing in a pair of these scoops from Fiero Fiberglass. I've never ordered from them, but they have some really nice stuff.

Anybody order from them recently? Any issues?

Or, does anyone have a set they don't need?

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set. GT Style #2. They certainly need to be prepped. There are a few thin spots. I got mine in 2014, I think.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks tshark. - what type of prepping do you mean? I haven't worked with fiberglass before......
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jimmy and dan are both very respected members and vendors. Have seen their products on display at daytona and the quality is top notch.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I had it done, but the surface was a bit rough. Figure just like your car after the clearcoat peels off. Also, there is the matter of small adjustments to the mounting holes.

I do want to emphasize that I would use his products again.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone here will tell you they are in it for the greater good. They are continuing Munsons work. Order without worries.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:
Everyone here will tell you they are in it for the greater good. They are continuing Munsons work. Order without worries.

Except for the headlights?
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the feedback - I'll be placing an order this weekend

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought mine from someone else who hadn't installed them. body shop said they needed some work to be ready to prime and paint but it wasn't much. very good quality. I ordered mesh from Jimmy for these and just ordered mesh for front scoop doing this winter. He has been great to work with and responded right away.

JB1972

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JB1972Send a Private Message to JB1972Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Hi all,

I'm looking at investing in a pair of these scoops from Fiero Fiberglass. I've never ordered from them, but they have some really nice stuff.

Anybody order from them recently? Any issues?

Or, does anyone have a set they don't need?

Hi,
The Side Scoops GT #1 style are available again: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/079101.html
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. All Fiero have Cold Air Intake so engine gets cool/cold air outside of engine bay.
2. Side Scoop mods often need more to "Fix" the CAI but nubes just buy "CAI Kits" from Jeggs et al or from Ebay or "make one" in other ways or just remove Fiero Muffler/Water Separator.
3. Then install "the kits" wrong and now floods the air filter w/ polluted water every time drives on wet roads, drive thru car wash "barns," etc.

"Paper" Air Filters Hate water let alone polluted water and easily wreck them.
K&N types looses their oils when hit by Car Wash "water" and tools and won't work "right" if they clean the air at all after that. May not work right even after "recharging" them.

Worse, Even w/o that, K&N and rest of Oil coated media often Does Not protect the engine as "Factory Types" and some others. Oil media often Causes Expensive MAF Failures as oil gets on the MAF heated parts. Cleaning w/ "MAF Cleaners" often won't help.
More? GM and others Hate K&N and other oil coated media because often causes major wear and/or oil contamination but because of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act etc have a hard time to make owners to use good filters. Go dig thru TSB from GM Warning Dealers about cars and trucks using K&N filters. More so w/ Diesel, Super and Turbo charged vehicles that suck in way more air.

How the Fiero Water Separator works...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/144683.html#p3

Originally posted by Australian:
Let's say the rest is true... (Everyone? Unlikely.) Holding Munson as a "good example" isn't flying w/ many people.

Munson and other HL "Upgrade" have problems and/or Illegal in many places not just in the U.S. even when they use Real DOT/ECE Legal "Bulbs."
Many have To Remove part or all of a Munson HL Kit because Light Output is Very Poor, Failed Inspection, and/or got Stopped by Cops having Covers over HL. If you remove the covers, often causes other problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[

Worse, Even w/o that, K&N and rest of Oil coated media often Does Not protect the engine as "Factory Types" and some others. Oil media often Causes Expensive MAF Failures as oil gets on the MAF heated parts. Cleaning w/ "MAF Cleaners" often won't help.
More? GM and others Hate K&N and other oil coated media because often causes major wear and/or oil contamination but because of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act etc have a hard time to make owners to use good filters. Go dig thru TSB from GM Warning Dealers about cars and trucks using K&N filters. More so w/ Diesel, Super and Turbo charged vehicles that suck in way more air.

Since stock Fieros don't have a MAF sensors and there would be much more oil coming from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems than would be coming off an oiled air filter wouldn't that negate this whole paragraph? Again, for stock Fiero engines.

Ive run K&N filters for years on my Fieros with no problems and high mileage (87 coupe - 315,000 miles, 88 Formula - 282,000 miles) for a long time but am quick to point out, being in Southern California and in a typically dry climate, I have not had any water ingestion problems utilizing only the OEM air filter/canister and removal of the water catcher/installation of straight pipe from the stock intake body panel with a Fiero Store Scoop. I have had a lucky chance to grab some Mecham urethane side scoops and will be putting them either on the GT or the Formula. I would agree, in wetter areas of the nation sticking a CAI filter as close to the intake opening would be asking for trouble.

I removed the water trap purely for aesthetics. I love to hear a louder intake noise. I'm not thinking I'm getting anything other than a slightly (if that) better engine response for the time involved.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double post.

Edit to change that...

Originally posted by WKDFIRO:
Since stock Fieros don't have a MAF sensors and there would be much more oil coming from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems than would be coming off an oiled air filter wouldn't that negate this whole paragraph? Again, for stock Fiero engines.
Yes, OE Fiero doesn't have MAF but many Engine Swaps Do have them and/or turbo etc too and why above matters.

Even ignore that, Using K&N and related w/ NA Gas Engines still cause more Upper Cylinder Wear and that Wear causes more Blow By Problems causing more Oil getting push thru PCV plumbing. That Wear Can make the Engine to Burn Oil too causing "Dead" Cat, O2 and other problems.

"Dead" Cat is way more expensive to fix in CA and now in NY and others trying to emulate CA "green" rules.
Dead is quoted here because "Dead" parts often won't set Codes but can make you Fail Inspection, Eat more Gas, and Worse problems.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-09-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock