Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Honda's new S660 mid-engine looks like Fiero's earlier drawing version!

Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: Totally O/T.
Honda's new S660 mid-engine looks like Fiero's earlier drawing version! by Fiero Vice
Started on: 10-10-2015 12:12 AM
Replies: 28 (755 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-11-2015 09:29 AM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2015 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice styling! Wish GM was more daring & went with the earlier version! Like all jap cars, it's little too small. Enjoy!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2015 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "want" to like it but I'm just not sure if I do. There are aspects I like but overall I don't know if they are enough to get me to like it on the whole. If it comes to the US market I'd probably end up at a Honda dealer to get a better look at it to see if there is more to like I'm just not getting from the pictures. The interior is decent and a right hand drive version might make for a interesting dash swap into a Fiero but so would a RX 8 dash. So I guess for now I'll just stay undetermined as to my opinion on the car as a whole.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Nice styling! Wish GM was more daring & went with the earlier version! Like all jap cars, it's little too small. Enjoy!

The car is not too small., North Americans are too fat

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 10-10-2015).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2015 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't look anything like the Fiero at all, even the early targa drawings.

It does look like a Honda Beat though.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

As a fat man, I can honestly say it isn't about my girth, but my height.
I'm 6'4" and I can't even fit in a Solstice or a Sky.
There are many passenger cars, including several 4 door mid-size sedans that I can't comfortably fit in due to the dash layout and roof line.

Many cars just aren't built for the "above average" sized person, whether that be due to being out of shape or being taller than normal.
Hell, even in our 2002 GMC Safari, my head brushes against the headliner when I'm sitting in it with the seat all the way back and adjusted so I can comfortably drive.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember my dad telling me, that in the 40's-60's, cars had a higher roof line to make it easier for guys that wore hats !!!! .... now the cars are so low and small I can't get head ( sic. room ) LOL
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know about that specific car, but I have a hard time with lots of foreign cars. Go ahead, call me fat. I weigh 170 pounds, have a 28-inch waist, and am about 5'11” tall. I wear size 12EE shoes. I'm short-waisted, which means my height is in my legs. Low roofs clear, but make me feel claustrophobic. My problems are that the seats are too small and need to go back another 8-10 inches, there isn't enough room for my feet, the B pillars are in the way of my vision, my arms don't fit on the armrest between the handle and the seat, or between the gear shift and the seat, my knees hit everything, the key is at the wrong angle, etc. I really don't want to lose any more weight. Economy airplane seats have more room, and I barely fit in them. I've tried Mazda RX7, RX8, Protege, Millenium, 3, 5, etc. I've tried the Toy Crammy and Avalon. I've tried various Toy/Lexus, Nissad/Infunity, Honda/Acura and Kia/Hyundai models. They are cheap junk for little people, in my experience.

Overall, I'd say the jap, Korean, Chinese, etc cars are poorly designed. The fact that they tend to fall apart and constantly break down does nothing to improve my low opinion of them.

I goess this Honda and the earlier Fiero resemble each other, in that they're both mid-engine cars.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
63 HP motor with a CVT. Blech. No amount of styling can fix that.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

63 HP motor with a CVT. Blech. No amount of styling can fix that.

Not sure what you expect from a 600cc car really. This is just a sporty Kei car for the Japanese market. Basically, it's the new Honda Beat, which is why they're both sportier mid-engined roadster style Kei cars.

It's very unlikely this car will be released in the US. It'll probably stay in the Asian market, possibly only in Japan.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Not sure what you expect from a 600cc car really. This is just a sporty Kei car for the Japanese market. Basically, it's the new Honda Beat, which is why they're both sportier mid-engined roadster style Kei cars.

It's very unlikely this car will be released in the US. It'll probably stay in the Asian market, possibly only in Japan.

Definitely won't come to this market with that powertrain. Most motorcyclists in the US would laugh at that. But there is a continual shortage of 2 seaters in the US, except in 1988 when it was "saturated"
PFF
System Bot
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow....I really like that.

Sub $15k, 40+mpg and a place to stow the targa top and I'd be in for one.

------------------

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Definitely won't come to this market with that powertrain. Most motorcyclists in the US would laugh at that. But there is a continual shortage of 2 seaters in the US, except in 1988 when it was "saturated"

The turbo 3 cylinder version is about 127 HP if I remember from when I looked.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I weigh 170 pounds... 5'11” tall. My problems are that the seats are too small and need to go back another 8-10 inches... Overall, I'd say the jap, Korean, Chinese, etc cars are poorly designed.

I'm 190 lbs... 6'3" tall... and fit just fine in my '94 Hyundai Elantra, which has plenty of headroom and legroom to spare. The only car I don't fit in at all is the Archie choptop that a friend of mine owns. I honestly just hate sitting in/trying to drive that car.

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm 190 lbs... 6'3" tall... and fit just fine in my '94 Hyundai Elantra, which has plenty of headroom and legroom to spare.

6'-1" and 170 lbs and I fit fine in our Mazda Protege5. I have plebty of headroom left also and even room to move the seat back some more if needed. Fit fine in my old 84 Nissan 720 Kingcab mini-truck to. I can't recall any other Asian vehicles I've owned but I did own 3 VW's and fit fine in them a well. However, I did drive a 06 Kia Optima lent to me while I was swapping the engine in our Mazda. I "fit" but my right knee kept hitting the underside of the dash which annoyed me enough that I'd never buy one for myself.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously, I'm not fat at 6', 200 pounds. It's way too small for my taste. I didn't feel comfortable in Honda S2000 either and it's bigger than S660.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 10-11-2015).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Khw:

I "want" to like it but I'm just not sure if I do. There are aspects I like but overall I don't know if they are enough to get me to like it on the whole. If it comes to the US market I'd probably end up at a Honda dealer to get a better look at it to see if there is more to like I'm just not getting from the pictures. The interior is decent and a right hand drive version might make for a interesting dash swap into a Fiero but so would a RX 8 dash. So I guess for now I'll just stay undetermined as to my opinion on the car as a whole.

I don't blame you one bit! Hope it comes to US market.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by dobey:

Doesn't look anything like the Fiero at all, even the early targa drawings.

It does look like a Honda Beat though.

Not even the windshield & rear window along with targa top? I could see similar in design in upper part.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Synthesis:
As a fat man, I can honestly say it isn't about my girth, but my height.
I'm 6'4" and I can't even fit in a Solstice or a Sky.
There are many passenger cars, including several 4 door mid-size sedans that I can't comfortably fit in due to the dash layout and roof line.

Many cars just aren't built for the "above average" sized person, whether that be due to being out of shape or being taller than normal.
Hell, even in our 2002 GMC Safari, my head brushes against the headliner when I'm sitting in it with the seat all the way back and adjusted so I can comfortably drive.

Out of curious, do you feel comfortable in Fiero?
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Khw:

6'-1" and 170 lbs and I fit fine in our Mazda Protege5. I have plebty of headroom left also and even room to move the seat back some more if needed. Fit fine in my old 84 Nissan 720 Kingcab mini-truck to. I can't recall any other Asian vehicles I've owned but I did own 3 VW's and fit fine in them a well. However, I did drive a 06 Kia Optima lent to me while I was swapping the engine in our Mazda. I "fit" but my right knee kept hitting the underside of the dash which annoyed me enough that I'd never buy one for myself.

What about Miata? I tested drove an older version when it was brand new at the dealer & my knees was right up against the lower dashboard. Didn't like it one bit at all! Imagine if I was in an accident. My knees would hurt like hell. No thanks! Those japs still continue to design smaller sizes for US market, even though it's bigger than Jap's market.

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm 190 lbs... 6'3" tall... and fit just fine in my '94 Hyundai Elantra, which has plenty of headroom and legroom to spare. The only car I don't fit in at all is the Archie choptop that a friend of mine owns. I honestly just hate sitting in/trying to drive that car.

From what I heard, others complained about neck pain/sitting lower while trying to fit in choptop Fieros. No offense to anyone, I don't like the design myself.

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah, you're right, JScott1. Looks like it won't come US market. Found an article dated August 31, 2015 confirming that it won't be coming to US market. Darn it! Here's the link: http://blog.caranddriver.co...as-sports-car-story/
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

I remember my dad telling me, that in the 40's-60's, cars had a higher roof line to make it easier for guys that wore hats !!!! .... now the cars are so low and small I can't get head ( sic. room ) LOL

Nice info from your dad, 85fieroguy! Time sure have changed! Now, it's all about budget!
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by tshark:
I don't know about that specific car, but I have a hard time with lots of foreign cars. Go ahead, call me fat. I weigh 170 pounds, have a 28-inch waist, and am about 5'11” tall. I wear size 12EE shoes. I'm short-waisted, which means my height is in my legs. Low roofs clear, but make me feel claustrophobic. My problems are that the seats are too small and need to go back another 8-10 inches, there isn't enough room for my feet, the B pillars are in the way of my vision, my arms don't fit on the armrest between the handle and the seat, or between the gear shift and the seat, my knees hit everything, the key is at the wrong angle, etc. I really don't want to lose any more weight. Economy airplane seats have more room, and I barely fit in them. I've tried Mazda RX7, RX8, Protege, Millenium, 3, 5, etc. I've tried the Toy Crammy and Avalon. I've tried various Toy/Lexus, Nissad/Infunity, Honda/Acura and Kia/Hyundai models. They are cheap junk for little people, in my experience.

Overall, I'd say the jap, Korean, Chinese, etc cars are poorly designed. The fact that they tend to fall apart and constantly break down does nothing to improve my low opinion of them.

I goess this Honda and the earlier Fiero resemble each other, in that they're both mid-engine cars.

I agree with you about jap/asian poor size designs for Americans. Although, some of their vehicles have better reliability than US cars. I just wish GM would take more pride & follow thru on making US cars better reliability than to try & hide any flaws over profit/budget. I think if they focus on reliability, the profit will take care of itself. I really appreciate that Fiero people have improved Fiero designs in a short time span.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

From what I heard, others complained about neck pain/sitting lower while trying to fit in choptop Fieros. No offense to anyone, I don't like the design myself.

I don't have neck pain, but Archie lowers the seat. I felt the need to add some cushion back into the seat so I could see over the dashboard.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

I agree with you about jap/asian poor size designs for Americans. Although, some of their vehicles have better reliability than US cars. I just wish GM would take more pride & follow thru on making US cars better reliability than to try & hide any flaws over profit/budget. I think if they focus on reliability, the profit will take care of itself. I really appreciate that Fiero people have improved Fiero designs in a short time span.

In fairness to American cars, you have to admit quality has improved dramatically since the 80s. Many of the poor choices were due to cost cutting as the US companies were fighting off bankruptcy. Once they went bankrupt and shed a lot of their debt things improved. The new GM is making far better cars than the what they produced in the 80s
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't dislike the look of a choptop Fiero, but lowering the roof absolutely destroys the practicality of a car that was rather impracticable to begin with. Seriously though, a choptop Fiero is useless for anyone who is tall.

I tried driving the white choptop pictured above at a local autocross... while wearing a helmet (as required). Despite having gobs of power at my disposal (supplied by some transplanted Corvette engine), it was not an enjoyable experience.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-11-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it depends on what you're used to. I am used to a comfortable fit with some room. I've seen Asian people my size who are comfortable folding themselves and stuffing their body into areas that fit like a glove in a coffin. Perhaps my proportions are different. Some cars, I have to tilt the steering wheel way up to clear my legs. I don't like my knees hitting the shift and door, so I want to move the seat back enough that my legs are fairly straight.

I also have a problem with harmonics, I guess. I know I had a terrible time in the back seat of the Corsica, unless a windows was open. I doubt I could take a Fiero choptop. Lots of imports do something that gives me terrible headaches. I don't know if it's the self-destruct sound of the engine, past bad experiences with imports, some particular vibration, or what. I'd forgotten, until I recently took a ride in a crampy Miata convertible, with the top open. I actually thought the suspension was broken, but apparently the car is designed to ride like a Conestoga wagon, and look like it's already been crushed.

I also like my cars to have some go. Actually, my Fiero is very slow, but I usually have to hang back on the imports, because I don't want to have to wait on them getting up to highway speeds. I like to merge at least at the minimum highway speed.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not even the windshield & rear window along with targa top? I could see similar in design in upper part.

Nope. Just like the del Sol doesn't look like a Fiero, nor did the original Honda Beat. The early Fiero drawings were closer to the Ferrari 308 than this car is to the Fiero.
This thread has been moved here: Totally O/T.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock