Getting my Formula painted! by Dylpro
Started on: 10-09-2015 01:59 PM
Replies: 11 (568 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-23-2015 09:31 AM
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I dropped off my Formula to get painted by a guy in town. It's going to take 3 weeks as he's working on his own and only has a two car garage and even though it won't be professional I'm sure it'll look slick in new black paint! I'll be sure to upload pictures when she's finished! One question I had though, when removing the wing the nuts holding the wing down were very rusted and extremely difficult to remove. We had to cut one and then the gaskets looked pretty bad too. Anyone know of where I could get new gaskets or would it be alright to reuse the current ones with new nuts?

As she was when I bought her

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 10-09-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What color is that?

Those wing gaskets are pretty hard to find, and some do not fit well. Try to save what you have.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had varying answers from pink to purple to magenta. I always said purple myself. I could've actually made it by with that paint colour if it wasn't chipping everywhere. And while this new paint job may not be professional quality, it'll be better than its previous state, and if I try my best to take care of it, hopefully it'll last.

I'll try my best to make use of those wing gaskets. Maybe they were as bad as I thought and will just need new nuts for them.

The car was sanded down yesterday and now I'm waiting on the next update from the guy.

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 10-10-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

I'll try my best to make use of those wing gaskets. Maybe they were as bad as I thought and will just need new nuts for them.

If you need replacement gaskets and don't care about the stock look, you can buy 1/4" or thinner closed cell neoprene rubber from Ebay for a few bucks and cut your own.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If you need replacement gaskets and don't care about the stock look, you can buy 1/4" or thinner closed cell neoprene rubber from Ebay for a few bucks and cut your own.

I'll keep that in mind if I can't salvage my gaskets! Thank you!

So I got some pictures yesterday!

Today will be the first day I'm going to be trying to get over and check it out! He said there's still a couple days of work to go and that the final picture was a little misleading as it still needed some buffing and cleaning.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good ! Are your going to put the Formula decals on ?

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-21-2015).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. I'm glad someone else cares about a nice paint job on a Fiero-- most of the cars I see around here look terrible!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.

A paint job does everything...windows too.

Normally the back window stays nice. I look forward to change my glass and windshield prior
to a paint job on one of my 88GT's.

Can't forget inner and outer dew wipes.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone! I'm very excited, unfortunately was unable to check it out today though.

I'm in dire need of new dew wipes and I'm afraid my windows may be shot but I personally haven't looked to hard at them so maybe they aren't that bad. First things first though is new emblems and decals. I think I may hold off on the "Formula" decals on the doors. I may even replace those with the "Formula" sail panels that Fiero Sails has.

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 10-22-2015).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dylpro

249 posts
Member since Apr 2015
So she's all finished! Unfortunately after driving home from showing it off to my girlfriend I underestimated how much gas I really had left. Currently sitting in a parking lot awaiting help. Managed at least to get off the main road. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get home!

Okay! Here's some photos! It's late so I couldn't get a real good picture but hopefully tomorrow I can get some daylight pictures. It's honestly not perfect, but very good! For what I paid for it, it's great. Essentially a 500 dollar paint job (traded the gentleman a Ford Taurus which I bought for 400 dollars, add 100-150 for licensing so 550 dollar paint job. Granted he sold the car for 1000 so you could say 1000 dollar paint job). 4 stars out of 5 if not 4.5 out of 5. The rockers have some blemishes, but rather minor, it needs to be waxed again to get some of the compound off.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here are some pictures of my old emblems. Will be getting new ones soon! Then probably waiting on the Formula decals

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 10-22-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:
... The rockers have some blemishes, but rather minor, it needs to be waxed again to get some of the compound off.

Mine is a black Formula too.
When I had my car painted they recommended not "waxing" for months until the paint had finished "out gassing", or you can use a breathable product. I used this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...1MX1KKG9WR28YTSRS7GQ

Another tip with black paint it shows swirls like crazy! Make sure its absolutley clean whenever you wipe it or wax it, dont push down when drying, and swirl mark removers are your friend

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-23-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock