Exhaust Crooked by painandgain99
Started on: 10-08-2015 10:54 PM
Replies: 8 (458 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 10-09-2015 10:50 PM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first of all, sorry for posting so much. Anything i ask i cannot find through searching and i feel like if i ask it on my other threads it might not get answered. But heres what ive noticed:

My drivers side exhaust is slightly slanted vs the passenger side is pretty straight. Upon looking at it, they have a bracket and the drivers sides one seems crooked. Not sure if you can tell, but it is crooked along with the little bracket that has two nuts in the back.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

vs the straight one. This ones bracket is straight with the ground and the exhaust is straight, the drivers side bracket is crooked and so is the exhaust. Not sure how serious this is but id like to fix.

Another question is how to remove this piece, id like to plasti dip it.

Last questions are this: Theres a type of carpet/cushion around the walls of the engine area and mine is all crumbling and falling apart, also theres a material that resemles leather but feels like plastic, in multiple areas is just flapping around... Near the inside of my back tires and behind the engine. Can post a pic tomorrow if needed.

Last one is right behind the front bumper theres a big plastic thing on both sides sort of hanging freely but attached to something, can post pics tomorrow if needed. (This is not the around the wheel, it is inside of the bumper almost, can only be viewed from underneath

big thanks to anyone who can help and that read through this, my service manual will be coming the 10th and i wont need as much help then! thanks guys have a good night.

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 10-09-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never apologize for asking questions when you need help.

The left exhaust tip looks as though someone stepped on it and it slipped in the clamp. You can probably loosen the clamp and raise the tips back up.

Heat shield in engine compartment. See here:
http://www.fierosails.com/heatshield.html

Rubber around the fenders is probably the splash guards. See if this is what they look like:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=23&products_id=112

The black plastic piece around the quarter windows is another subject. I don't recommend you remove them unless absolutely needed. They have a black "goop" that holds them in place and you have to almost pry them out of the rear clip.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-09-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

My drivers side exhaust is slightly slanted...

I'm just in the process of swapping in a different factory exhaust into my '86 GT. On a couple other of my Fieros, I no longer use the factory hangers by the exhaust tips. I install different hangers that allow me to adjust the height of each tip independently. I'll post pictures in a couple days of where I put these hangers (if it stops raining), but the hangers are clamped onto the pipe right in front of where the twin tips become one.

Originally posted by painandgain99:

Another question is how to remove this piece, id like to plasti dip it.

I also just re-installed that same piece in the '86 GT. Three bolts and one screw need to be removed. The top of it sort of wedges into a groove along the underside of the top of the roof buttress. The goop in the top corner of mine wasn't holding any longer. When I put it back together, I made it a bit tighter fit so that the goop wasn't necesary.

Info and photos in this thread... How to remove inner Qt. window molding Fast Back GT

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-09-2016).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your alignment too, tires are wearing on the inside.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Check your alignment too, tires are wearing on the inside.

Yeah i have to get it aligned, you dont even want to see the front ones... 😂
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had the best luck with the factory style hangers. It doesn't look like you have a good hanger on the driver's side.

I have removed and installed stock exhaust systems over the years.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I have had the best luck with the factory style hangers. It doesn't look like you have a good hanger on the driver's side.

I have removed and installed stock exhaust systems over the years.

Hanger? Is that the little bracket with the two bolts?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before assuming the exhaust is crooked, buy new hangers from The Fiero Store, or from Rodney Dickman.
They both offer OEM style and a replica of the original GM hangers.

Once that is done, make sure that all 6 springs (3 each side) of the muffler are installed.

GM original cat. back exhaust, Walker and Maremont have these brackets on the muffler part. These need to be used
for added support. The Ocelot cat. back from TFS don't have these brackets welded on their exhaust. I just cut them off
my original GM exhaust and welded them to my Ocelot exhaust. Had no choice.

IMO, do this first expecting better results.
------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 10-10-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For rear hangers, you can buy universal ones and adapt them to fit your application. I bought mine at Autozone. They are a lot cheaper than the Fierostore and GM. All you need is a vice, drill, hammer, bench grinder and voila!
As for the buttress trim, you can paint those on the car. But then again, I paint my rear view mirrors right on the car. Damn I'm cheap and probably lazy too.
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock