Sliding rear window modification by Australian
Started on: 10-08-2015 06:34 AM
Replies: 14 (590 views)
Last post by: tshark on 10-14-2015 07:14 PM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone got a sliding rear window in a GT.
Just saw this and wondered going to walk around with tape measure measuring strangers cars lol.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/...EN-NEW-/400618285825
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you like exhaust fumes in the car when driving?
That will be the end result.
Horse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HorseSend a Private Message to HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Has anyone got a sliding rear window in a GT.
Just saw this and wondered going to walk around with tape measure measuring strangers cars lol.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/...EN-NEW-/400618285825

The rear window in a Fiero is load bearing so it will affect the structure. 20 years ago I did this modification and had exhaust, heat and gasoline smell come into the car at a standstill. The sunroof is a better way to vent when the windows are down.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear window is not load bearing.

Other than that, the rest of your statement is correct.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Similar things have been done...
From //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090470.html

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

One of my Fiero's had a removable rear window. Exhaust and heat were a problem. I had it sealed up.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-08-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
messing w/ rear Window can effect air flow over/around the car. Is why removable window can suck fumes.

Ever watch mythbuster truck w/ and w/o tailgate?
Fiero air flow is sim to trunk w/ gate up.

Large rolling air "pocket" that moves air etc into rear window and thru or over engine vents. (Very good at cooling engine bay. Bay only is hot when stopped or very slow traffic.)

I was parked under a tree and in fall I got to see leaves pushed into that area. Other 1/2 of lid and leaves are gone very fast.
Leaves will go when you more air to lift them up.

Sunroof is good... Too keep sun out I use 2 cling-on plastic "shades." I have same set for 10+ years... More light but sun doesn't heat the car and you vs w/o them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Point taken about the circulating fumes however still think it would look cool. Whist trying to determine rear window sizes i saw it. I am looking for rear louvre i can modify to use from other 80s cars. I already have replaced my rear window glass. I the idea of the sliding and pop out rear window.
I have fitted some horizontal vented side louvers replacing rear quarter windows and thinking will look good louvered all round deleting my toms mr2 roof scoop.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Skitime did it. That car gets a lot of heat coming in through the open window, and the rear window is rarely opened because of it.

Because the idea of a convertible almost always comes up in one of these threads....
The air flow coming off a convertible windshield is completely different than that of a coupe. On a coupe, the air flows over the windshield, over the roof, and then into the low pressure area behind the rear window...where it pulls out the heat, and would cycle it back in an open rear window. Ever notice how warm your rear window gets? A convertible, on the other hand, moves that low pressure area to just behind the windshield...causing the air to be flowing toward the back again by the time you get to the decklid. I rarely notice any heat coming from the engine in the convertible. I get a slight draft of heat occasionally around 25mph.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to drive a baur bmw and only ever used to drop the back window leaving roof up. I didn't get fumes inside but it wasn't mid engined either.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I used to drive a baur bmw and only ever used to drop the back window leaving roof up. I didn't get fumes inside but it wasn't mid engined either.

Well duh, not having an engine behind the window would make a bit of difference you think?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Well duh, not having an engine behind the window would make a bit of difference you think?

Unless you have an exhaust leak, it should only make a difference for heat. What makes a difference for fumes is air flow. Body design of the Fiero tends to result in fumes from the exhaust tips flowing up and back up the decklid, particularly while not moving.

For example, with the 2.8 in my 87 GT, I would get exhaust fumes from the side windows or sunroof, when just sitting. But in my del Sol, with the rear window down, I'd really only ever smell the exhaust from in the car, if the wind happened to be blowing that way, while sitting still. The exhaust tips (at least, the passenger side exit on the FIero) are in relatively the same position for each car, relative to the cabin, regardless of where the engine is sitting in the car.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Unless you have an exhaust leak, it should only make a difference for heat. What makes a difference for fumes is air flow. Body design of the Fiero tends to result in fumes from the exhaust tips flowing up and back up the decklid, particularly while not moving.

Maybe, but how many Fieros don't have cracked exhaust manifolds at this point? Or a gaping hole where the O2 sensor is supposed to be? (guilty on that one). And even without an exhaust leak you are not talking clean heat as if from an electric heater. The 80s engines were not the tightest engines in the world, lots of unburned fuel and smell coming off that engine. Not something the average person wants to breathe.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by jscott1:[/B

Is duh your contribution? Experts throw everything they know out the window when they make convertible versions of cars. This would be just about looks. How about i agree it is not an ideal design idea. An open or closed window so the option of closing it or driving with windows down and no sun roof. I already know how much work is into fitting a rear window and not about to commit to another rear window but as something i saw that looked like could work size etc.
The price of a fiero rear window in Australia is over $2k so anything flat large enough is to be looked at.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 10-12-2015).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind....I'm just going to stop posting.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-13-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

OK, I thought it was funny. Don't stop contributing.

I don't see the appeal. I used to have opening rear windows on a van. The previous owner was so proud of them. I put solid windows back in, because I could smell the exhaust, even with the windows closed--and the exhaust came out the side. I guess this dastes me, but it was a '77 Dodge.

Sure, anything is possible. Someone had a thread about a window that lowered. I don't remember the outcome.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock