Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anybody want a "NEW" 88 GT Fiero?...

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anybody want a "NEW" 88 GT Fiero?... by Loudandfast13
Started on: 10-03-2015 12:21 AM
Replies: 30 (739 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-07-2015 04:59 PM
Loudandfast13
Member
Posts: 58
From: White Lake MI USA
Registered: Jul 2015


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Loudandfast13Send a Private Message to Loudandfast13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...19&item=201438253593

This car is incredible!!!
(and good reference for how things are supposed to look)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757
Member
Posts: 10766
From: Holland, MI
Registered: Jun 2010


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
power seats?
IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll happily take it, if you're paying for it. Otherwise the owner is quite a bit off on the price they want to get for it. It's a nice Fiero, But unless the rubber and fluids have been kept up properly, expect problems if you buy the car. If it's got original tires on the car, they're going to be very hard, and wouldn't really be safe to drive on.
IP: Logged
jediperk
Member
Posts: 588
From: Center of the Universe
Registered: May 2013


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has a manual! This one might actually be worth $20k +. This is the first ultra low mileage Fiero I have seen with a manual...
IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by jediperk:
It has a manual! This one might actually be worth $20k +. This is the first ultra low mileage Fiero I have seen with a manual...


Regardless of mileage, it's one of the few that I have seen for sale with a manual. It seems all the ones popping up for sale lately are automatics. I still wouldn't pay $30K (buy it now price is $32K, so I suspect auction reserve is somewhere close to that) for a bone stock FIero that's been sitting for 25 years, rolling on 25 year old rubber.
IP: Logged
Dennis LaGrua
Member
Posts: 14285
From: Hillsborough, NJ U.S.A.
Registered: May 2000


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 324
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So let me get this right, $32K (and don't forget the tax and transfer fees) gets you a low performance, average mileage, 27 yr old, budget commuter car, one that is very low on the list of desirable collectible cars and values. IMO, this Fiero won't sell at half that price.
This eBay ad only serves to show that the seller is enjoying an optimistic moment in his life.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
Pete Matos
Member
Posts: 2291
From: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Registered: Jan 2010


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

So let me get this right, $32K (and don't forget the tax and transfer fees) gets you a low performance, average mileage, 27 yr old, budget commuter car, one that is very low on the list of desirable collectible cars and values. IMO, this Fiero won't sell at half that price.
This eBay ad only serves to show that the seller is enjoying an optimistic moment in his life.



I'd have to disagree.... People pay WAY more than that for cars they desire and like it or not the cars are becoming harder and harder to find let alone one that is virtually brand new. Have you seen what a nice new sportscar costs nowadays? just an opinion..

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Maryville, Tennessee
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

IP: Logged
Loudandfast13
Member
Posts: 58
From: White Lake MI USA
Registered: Jul 2015


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Loudandfast13Send a Private Message to Loudandfast13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry about what the car is worth unless you're buying it.
Just enjoy some pictures of a nice car.
IP: Logged
Phil
Member
Posts: 7030
From: Coventry, RI
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilClick Here to Email PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But this one has anti lock brakes and power seats
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:


Regardless of mileage, it's one of the few that I have seen for sale with a manual. It seems all the ones popping up for sale lately are automatics. I still wouldn't pay $30K (buy it now price is $32K, so I suspect auction reserve is somewhere close to that) for a bone stock FIero that's been sitting for 25 years, rolling on 25 year old rubber.


That's a good point, because the tires can't be replaced.

You act like old tires are a deal breaker on the car. If it sells, the buyer will do one of two things.
1. Keep it as a trailer queen. The condition of the tires, hoses, etc. won't matter much since it'll never need to run more than a few minutes at a time.
2. Keep it as a driver. Anyone buying an old car to drive is going to replace any tires, hoses and fluids as part of regular maintenance.

If I bought it, I'd take the original wheels and tires off and store them for shows, and get another set of wheels and tires to use when driving it.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-03-2015).]

IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Formula88:
That's a good point, because the tires can't be replaced.

You act like old tires are a deal breaker on the car. If it sells, the buyer will do one of two things.
1. Keep it as a trailer queen. The condition of the tires, hoses, etc. won't matter much since it'll never need to run more than a few minutes at a time.
2. Keep it as a driver. Anyone buying an old car to drive is going to replace any tires, hoses and fluids as part of regular maintenance.

If I bought it, I'd take the original wheels and tires off and store them for shows, and get another set of wheels and tires to use when driving it.


Would you pay $30K for a $10K car with 25 year old rubber on the wheels?

If it was a reasonable price, sure, I'd buy it. But for 3x what the car's actually worth, no thanks. $30K for a car that needs $1200+ worth of work? Maybe a Ferrari, a numbers matching classic, or something that's actually worth the asking price, sure. But a Fiero? Not likely.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1
Member
Posts: 21674
From: Houston, TX , USA
Registered: Dec 2001


Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:


Would you pay $30K for a $10K car with 25 year old rubber on the wheels?

If it was a reasonable price, sure, I'd buy it. But for 3x what the car's actually worth, no thanks. $30K for a car that needs $1200+ worth of work? Maybe a Ferrari, a numbers matching classic, or something that's actually worth the asking price, sure. But a Fiero? Not likely.


I appreciate your opinion, but the car is exactly worth what someone is willing to pay for it. We don't know what the 2 bids were, but whatever those bids are is what it's worth right now. If someone buys it for $35K then it's worth that.

If I ever win the powerball I'm going to buy one of these low miles cars and daily drive it.
IP: Logged
David Hambleton
Member
Posts: 1474
From: Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
Registered: Nov 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by jscott1:
If I ever win the powerball I'm going to buy one of these low miles cars and daily drive it.


You might not need to win a lottery; I came across a Formula 5 speed in Feb 2008 with 5,200 km (3200 miles) on it that was in showroom condition. All original except for the battery and the heater core that started to leak when the owner was taking it for the safety certification. $10,000 Canadian. It was gassed-up and ready to go when I went to get it. Got in & drove it 3.5 hours home. It gets out of the barn once or twice a week; around 3,000 km (2000 miles) a year. Beautymobile!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 10-03-2015).]

IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by David Hambleton:
You might not need to win a lottery; I came across a Formula 5 speed in Feb 2008 with 5,200 km (3200 miles) on it that was in showroom condition. All original except for the battery and the heater core that started to leak when the owner was taking it for the safety certification. $10,000 Canadian. It was gassed-up and ready to go when I went to get it. Got in & drove it 3.5 hours home. It gets out of the barn once or twice a week; around 3,000 km (2000 miles) a year. Beautymobile!


Exactly. A local club member recently acquired an 88 GT with only about 2500 miles on the odometer. He paid around $10K for it IIRC. $30K for the same thing is a bit much. I'm sure if someone is desperate enough, and has enough cash, they'd pay such a price for one though. Then again, there was that one red 88 GT that's been constantly reposted over and over again, in Oregon I think, where the dealer was asking $30-40K for it, and nobody has ever bought it.
IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001
 
quote
Originally posted by jscott1:
If I ever win the powerball I'm going to buy one of these low miles cars and daily drive it.


If you play, I hope you win. The income gap in this country is way too large, and it would be nice for one of us little guys to balance it out a little more. A few hundred million would be nice, but honestly, I'd be set for life with only 1 million. *wink* *wink*
IP: Logged
engine man
Member
Posts: 5267
From: Lebanon NH
Registered: Mar 2006


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the bid is at $20100 right now then thats what it is worth for now .the more it sells for means the more all of are cars are worth
IP: Logged
jscott1
Member
Posts: 21674
From: Houston, TX , USA
Registered: Dec 2001


Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by David Hambleton:


You might not need to win a lottery; I came across a Formula 5 speed in Feb 2008 with 5,200 km (3200 miles) on it that was in showroom condition. All original except for the battery and the heater core that started to leak when the owner was taking it for the safety certification. $10,000 Canadian. It was gassed-up and ready to go when I went to get it. Got in & drove it 3.5 hours home. It gets out of the barn once or twice a week; around 3,000 km (2000 miles) a year. Beautymobile!




You are correct...lots of examples of low miles Fieros around. My daily driver is my 70,000 miles Indy.
IP: Logged
cam-a-lot
Member
Posts: 1838
From: Barrie- Ontario, Canada
Registered: Oct 2010


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by David Hambleton:


You might not need to win a lottery; I came across a Formula 5 speed in Feb 2008 with 5,200 km (3200 miles) on it that was in showroom condition. All original except for the battery and the heater core that started to leak when the owner was taking it for the safety certification. $10,000 Canadian. It was gassed-up and ready to go when I went to get it. Got in & drove it 3.5 hours home. It gets out of the barn once or twice a week; around 3,000 km (2000 miles) a year. Beautymobile!





Forget the Fieros- I absolutely love that house in the background!

while I almost always agree with Dobey, this time I think he is off the mark. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone absolutely loves a car and has lots of disposable income (or a very understanding wife), he will pay well over book prices for an ultra low mileage car- regardless of whether it is considered a collectible. Someone near me just bought a 1984 K-Car that had less than 10,000 km on it for about $8000. To me, that car is the biggest POS of the 1980's and I wouldn't take it for free- but to someone else, it represented something they enjoyed looking at and owning, and they pulled out their wallets. Money talks.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 10-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
dobey
Member
Posts: 11572
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
Forget the Fieros- I absolutely love that house in the background!

while I almost always agree with Dobey, this time I think he is off the mark. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone absolutely loves a car and has lots of disposable income (or a very understanding wife), he will pay well over book prices for an ultra low mileage car- regardless of whether it is considered a collectible. Someone near me just bought a 1984 K-Car that had less than 10,000 km on it for about $8000. To me, that car is the biggest POS of the 1980's and I wouldn't take it for free- but to someone else, it represented something they enjoyed looking at and owning, and they pulled out their wallets. Money talks.


A car is worth what most people are willing to pay. Just because someone pays more for one car, doesn't necessarily mean it's worth that much. Perhaps that one person might value the car that much, but it doesn't mean it can be resold for the same price. Likewise, just because sometimes we get lucky and can buy cars ridiculously cheap (I've seen a few decently modded C6 Corvette Z06es with not too many miles on them for sale recently at quite lower than average prices), doesn't mean the car isn't worth more. And yes, sometimes (rather, quite often) people make irrational decisions.

I was simply stating what I think about it. Obviously someone else might think differently and be willing to pay that much for the car. The bid is not the reserve though, so just because a couple of people are willing to pay $20K for it, doesn't mean they are also willing to pay $30K for it.
IP: Logged
sardonyx247
Member
Posts: 5028
From: Nevada, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being that is doesn't have power seats, nor antilock brakes, the buyer CAN sue him for false advertisement, BTW he has a ZERO seller rating. Buyer beware!!!!
IP: Logged
jscott1
Member
Posts: 21674
From: Houston, TX , USA
Registered: Dec 2001


Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:


A car is worth what most people are willing to pay. Just because someone pays more for one car, doesn't necessarily mean it's worth that much. Perhaps that one person might value the car that much, but it doesn't mean it can be resold for the same price. Likewise, just because sometimes we get lucky and can buy cars ridiculously cheap (I've seen a few decently modded C6 Corvette Z06es with not too many miles on them for sale recently at quite lower than average prices), doesn't mean the car isn't worth more. And yes, sometimes (rather, quite often) people make irrational decisions.


Mathematically we would say that a car is worth what the AVERAGE person is willing to pay. And you need a decent sample size before you can determine the average.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:


Would you pay $30K for a $10K car with 25 year old rubber on the wheels?


I don't think it's worth $30k, but that has nothing to do with the age of the tires. A set of stock size tires is about $500. That wouldn't have much bearing on whether or not I'd buy the car and at best I'd knock $500 off whatever the agreed price was.


 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:

If it was a reasonable price, sure, I'd buy it. But for 3x what the car's actually worth, no thanks. $30K for a car that needs $1200+ worth of work? Maybe a Ferrari, a numbers matching classic, or something that's actually worth the asking price, sure. But a Fiero? Not likely.


Are you saying this isn't a "numbers matching classic?" It's about as original a Fiero as you're likely to find. The Fiero may not be a highly sought after classic yet, but prices on pristine models, especially 88's, have been on the rise.

I think you're way to hung up over the cost of regular maintenance items that most people do on most used cars they buy anyway. Regardless of mileage, if I bought another 88 Fiero, I'd probably go through and change all the belts, hoses and fluids as preventative maintenance soon after buying it. It would be the same with this car.
IP: Logged
hyperv6
Member
Posts: 5585
From: Clinton, OH, USA
Registered: Mar 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it is a little on the high side per some similar cars I have seen sold in the last year.

The truth is there are more of these low mileage cars than you think. Many people back in the day bought one thinking they were going to make a lot of money and now find that they are going to break even or make just a little over what they paid. As the values get closer to the sticker prices people are selling these cars.

These are cars off the radar as most were never in the Fiero hobby and we just never saw or heard from them.

Is it worth that much? To me know but to someone yes and more power to the seller if he can get the price.

$20K does not buy a lot of car like it used to.

I would have shopped around for a car with a little over 10K miles and often they are in new condition never seeing weather and can be had for $8K less.

Also the selling point here is low miles. Drive it and it becomes just another 88 GT. Clean but just another GT.

If you are willing to sit on it fine but most people want to drive them.
IP: Logged
jscott1
Member
Posts: 21674
From: Houston, TX , USA
Registered: Dec 2001


Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by hyperv6:


If you are willing to sit on it fine but most people want to drive them.


True, I have no desire to leave a low miles Fiero to my grandkids. I've bought two Fieros with 50K-ish miles and they are both over 100K miles now. I'm working on driving my third one... a 69K miles Indy and I'm going to daily drive it until the wheels fall off. Then replace the wheels and drive it some more. Garage queens are fine for museums, but I have no interest in running a Fiero museum.
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the ultra-low mileage cars I've seen are automatics. This being a manual would bring a premium, to me at least. I could see paying $20k or so for it, but not $30k.

 
quote
Originally posted by jscott1:
Garage queens are fine for museums, but I have no interest in running a Fiero museum.


Same here. Something that low in miles I would prefer to keep as a trailer queen, but I wouldn't want to own a car I couldn't drive. I've got about 180k on my Formula and I could probably find a nice 50k or less replacement for less than what I need to spend on mine. I think about it from time to time, but I've got so much history wrapped up in the one I have I hate to let it go.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-05-2015).]

IP: Logged
rogergarrison
Member
Posts: 49601
From: A Western Caribbean Island/ Columbus, Ohio
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep any guns out of the hands of the buyer offering $20,000 .... hes obviously insane. No stock Fiero, regardless of miles is worth more than $6-7K, at least to me. The lower the miles, the more your going to spend to make it reliable. Id want the brakes completely redone, transaxle and engine all completely resealed for starters before Id drive it across town. It may be really pretty, but mechanically, its a POS with lots of very good used parts.
IP: Logged
David Hambleton
Member
Posts: 1474
From: Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
Registered: Nov 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by rogergarrison:

. The lower the miles, the more your going to spend to make it reliable. Id want the brakes completely redone, transaxle and engine all completely resealed for starters before Id drive it across town. It may be really pretty, but mechanically, its a POS with lots of very good used parts.


I didn't feel I was taking any undue chances on my Formula with 5,200 kilometers on it when I got it in March 2008. It had a safety certificate from the dealer that sold it to the original owner. I don't imagine there's a dealer anywhere that wouldn't take the opportunity to replace stuff that was iffy... Drove it 3.5 hours home on the highway without any issues. A year or so later, a caliper started leaking, so that was replaced. A couple of years after that, the distributor malfunctioned due to corrosion so it was replaced. I was surprised at it's condition since it's been an indoor car since it left the dealer. 28,000 kilometers on it now. (Ok, so it's not indoors ALL the time...)


IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38927
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 455
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't care how many miles are (or aren't) on it, it's way overpriced for me. It's just not worth that much to me to own a nearly zero mile Fiero. Did that, once, in '85. After three years, it was just a used car.
I'd rather find one with a few tens of thousands of miles on it, and a few stone chips, and walk away with a "driver". Never was really big on shows, anyway.
The other thing to consider when plunking down 20 or 30 large on a car like this... If you drive it, and wreck it, you're looking at book value (or a big fight) unless you have collector insurance.
Aside from that... I'm one of those people who can't leave anything stock, anyway. Sorry. (But not really.)

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-05-2015).]

IP: Logged
David Hambleton
Member
Posts: 1474
From: Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
Registered: Nov 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Despite the 'hype', this looks like a 'reasonable mileage' car:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...-fastback/1108215510
IP: Logged
Steel
Member
Posts: 1191
From:
Registered: Apr 2011


Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Keep any guns out of the hands of the buyer offering $20,000 .... hes obviously insane. No stock Fiero, regardless of miles is worth more than $6-7K, at least to me. The lower the miles, the more your going to spend to make it reliable. Id want the brakes completely redone, transaxle and engine all completely resealed for starters before Id drive it across town. It may be really pretty, but mechanically, its a POS with lots of very good used parts.


yadda yadda
IP: Logged
rogergarrison
Member
Posts: 49601
From: A Western Caribbean Island/ Columbus, Ohio
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, ill say it like this...if given the choice between two cars that 'looked' like identical condition, one with 100 miles and other with 40K, for the same price....Id take the 40K one every time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock