Best seat option? by Silvertown
Started on: 09-29-2015 05:53 PM
Replies: 28 (928 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 10-02-2015 08:04 PM
Silvertown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seats in my gt are killing me. I know I can add better material under the foam before I recover them, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting time and money. I've seen some seats resonably priced that look like the new zo6 competition seats. Has any body used these and if so are they a marked improvement over the originals in comfort.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-B...em4d1e26d0f4&vxp=mtr
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of C4 seats in one of my cars. I put about 600 + miles on the vehicle last week and they are comfortable. However, I have not had much problem with the stock seats either.

Nelson
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I have a set of C4 seats in one of my cars. I put about 600 + miles on the vehicle last week and they are comfortable. However, I have not had much problem with the stock seats either.

Nelson

What year c4? I really like the early c4 seat design.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silvertown

Don't buy the junk on e-bay! You won't be happy in the long run!

Go with refabing your stock GT seats with a kit from Mr. Mikes...everything else will run you some money to adapt to the Fiero.

It comes with a DVD and everything for you to refurbish the seats to better than factory.

That is the set I installed in my ReMera.

http://www.mrmikes.com/fieroinstall.htm
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Silvertown

Don't buy the junk on e-bay! You won't be happy in the long run!

Go with refabing your stock GT seats with a kit from Mr. Mikes...everything else will run you some money to adapt to the Fiero.

It comes with a DVD and everything for you to refurbish the seats to better than factory.

That is the set I installed in my ReMera.

http://www.mrmikes.com/fieroinstall.htm

I love the fiero seat but my 50 year old hip doesnt. I worked in auto upholstery for 7 years so I know there may not be much I can do other than steam the foam add material underneath and maybe gel pack it. I just don't want to shell out $700 for mms and find out I still need more support. Thanks for the info on ebay I was looking at putting the z06 seat in but they are outrageous in price from gm.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't use a gel pack. I have to use it for the vehicle I am forced to use for work. In warm weather or the sun shines on it your butt will roast and in the cold you have cold buns for hours.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Don't use a gel pack. I have to use it for the vehicle I am forced to use for work. In warm weather or the sun shines on it your butt will roast and in the cold you have cold buns for hours.

You don't put it on top. You split the foam and sandwich it betwen. Seen guys gel their motorcycle seats on top and your right it gets hot enough to hard boil your eggs.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure the MrMike's refurb kit comes with additional foam pieces to rebuild your seats under the leather. I did a lot of research on seats and the BEST option I could find....... are factory Fiero seats refurbed with MrMike's leather, so that's what I'm going to get.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Pretty sure the MrMike's refurb kit comes with additional foam pieces to rebuild your seats under the leather. I did a lot of research on seats and the BEST option I could find....... are factory Fiero seats refurbed with MrMike's leather, so that's what I'm going to get.

I got no problem going with Mr mikes because they look outstanding. I don't know if catzskins makes the fiero seat cover but I'm pretty sure they don't supply the foam.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my Fiero seats!
But if you insist on getting non-Fiero seats, please do your homework and measure carefully before deciding on seats. Especially seat height and width.
Kit
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2972 posts
Member since Nov 2004
I love my Fiero seats!
But if you insist on getting non-Fiero seats, please do your homework and measure carefully before deciding on seats. Especially seat height and width.
Kit
PFF
System Bot
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Unless something has changed over the years, neither purchase I made came with additional foam that could be used as padding. The leather has a foam backing about 1/8" thick that sorta makes it hold its shape.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Mikes also has Vinyl kits, I installed those on mine and love them. Watch the width of the backs on after market if you go that route, the ones I bought would fit as long as you left the door open. The backs were too wide.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the 4th gen Firebird seats into my 86 and they were way more comfy - just put the Fiero tracks of the Firebird seats and bolted them in. There are several seats that you just change the track and you are good to go - so no money to "adapt" - just the costs of the seats.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-30-2015).]

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I put the 4th gen Firebird seats into my 86 and they were way more comfy - just put the Fiero tracks of the Firebird seats and bolted them in. There are several seats that you just change the track and you are good to go - so no money to "adapt" - just the costs of the seats.

that looks good.and comfy. Love them fbody consoles. Have to be my favorite ever. You can get a 44 0z cup in that puppy.

[This message has been edited by Silvertown (edited 09-30-2015).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silvertown:
that looks good.and comfy. Love them fbody consoles. Have to be my favorite ever. You can get a 44 0z cup in that puppy.

The cup holder no work so good in the car. The car was a manual and since the console is up a bit higher in the Fiero, my elbow rested pretty much where the cup would sit (ok I suppose out on the highway when you are not shifting). A lot different in the f-body as you are sitting up higher in relation.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A good Fiero seat is (for me) the most comfortable thing out there. Over the years they can get squashed and ripped but to me a nice one cant be beat.
I actually have about 6 seats in my garage and most need recovering.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-01-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most that Fiero seats are about the most comfortable ive had. Ive had C4s and I couldnt sit in one for more than a few hours without getting out and walking around. Even Mercedes seats are not comfortable. I drove my Ferrari kit (Fiero) from Columbus to Dallas and back in one weekend, only stopping for gas and a sandwich when it was empty. It was not even uncomfortable then, no back or butt aches. I once had some severe chest pains from muscles and even sitting at home in a recliner was unbearable. The only relief I got was taking a few hour drive in it...the position was perfect until the pain went away in a few weeks.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What year c4? I really like the early c4 seat design.

I do not know what year but could supply some photos if you can identify the year from them.

Nelson
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I do not know what year but could supply some photos if you can identify the year from them.

Nelson

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silvertown

I think the most support you could get might be a set of Nissan 300Z seats.

Check Lady Lisa's Enterra build and then check with V-8 Archie about how to mount (not an easy install)...but will give you great support.
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have the firebird seats in mine they are a little uncomfortable but... I am getting all new foam inserts for them which should make a vast improvement. I wonder if the firebird pads can be adapted to the fiero?
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love the fiero seat but my 50 year old hip doesnt. I worked in auto upholstery for 7 years so I know there may not be much I can do other than steam the foam add material underneath and maybe gel pack it. I just don't want to shell out $700 for mms and find out I still need more support. Thanks for the info on ebay I was looking at putting the z06 seat in but they are outrageous in price from gm.

FYI, Z06 (or regular Stingray) seats will not fit without a lot of work. The seat bottom is very tall to fit all of the goodies underneath. I have one sitting in the car right now.

Bob
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2015 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

FYI, Z06 (or regular Stingray) seats will not fit without a lot of work. The seat bottom is very tall to fit all of the goodies underneath. I have one sitting in the car right now.

Bob

Z06 comp seat? If so how much for the seat?
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It seems like most of the time, swapping in different seats doesn't allow the use of the E brake to work. Those seats look to wide for it to be able to get pulled up/down but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear from you, if it still is functional.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

It seems like most of the time, swapping in different seats doesn't allow the use of the E brake to work. Those seats look to wide for it to be able to get pulled up/down but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear from you, if it still is functional.

e-brake handle still worked fine as far as the seats are concerned (the problem had to do with the door panels I had in the car - it is a manual car, so it had to.

The f-body seat were not any wider than the Fiero seat although they may look like it in the pictures - the ability to raise the head rest was also a nice bonus. The contours of the seat seem to fit me a lot better than the OEM ones.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-02-2015).]

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

e-brake handle still worked fine as far as the seats are concerned (the problem had to do with the door panels I had in the car - it is a manual car, so it had to.

The f-body seat were not any wider than the Fiero seat although they may look like it in the pictures - the ability to raise the head rest was also a nice bonus. The contours of the seat seem to fit me a lot better than the OEM ones.

Those are firebird? My 94 camaro didn't have adjustable hrest.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4 was from 83 (Although I believe only 1 or 2 were made but not sold) until the 96 model. They are all pretty much the same except for minor differences like tail and parking lights. The interior had one change I think around 92-94 with different seats and dash from then on. C5 was entirely different.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never seen any aftermarket seat that would look better than a good Mr. Mikes recovered stock one. Neither more comfortable. Now I have seen Fiero seats used on other hot rods. Must be a reason. I would rather invest and replace the padding instead of wasting $$ on non stock ones.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock