Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Good deal on re-manufacture distributor newer style pickup coil for 2.8

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Good deal on re-manufacture distributor newer style pickup coil for 2.8 by Ucycle
Started on: 09-28-2015 05:57 PM
Replies: 9 (558 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 09-30-2015 09:17 AM
Ucycle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just want to pass on this great deal on ebay for the newer style pickup coil distributor Cardone 30-1633 for under $54, free shipping and no core fee( i have no idea how they make $). I have no affiliation with it but i was a bit cautious since the seller only have less than 15 review when i bought mine. But I got mine in the mail last Friday. Funny thing when i went to set the timing after replacing the dizzy, the timing was way off from my initial setup even though i set it as the same location to the old dizzy's location. After spending an hour trying to adjust it back without any luck, finally look at my timing gun and realized i somehow knock the cheap timing gun's adjuster to 20 degrees. I put a tape over the adjuster now but don't be like me.

Also replace the o ring with hi temp one(someone posted that their cardone's oring lasted only 3000mi) and add a distributor gasket for extra insurance from oil leak.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

[This message has been edited by Ucycle (edited 09-28-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ucycle:

Cardone 30-1633 Distributor fits Buick/Cadillac/Chevrolet/Oldsmobile 1985-1992

I'm not in the market for a distributor, but I'm curious what make the ICM is? I've read of complaints about the ICM that's used in the new Cardone units. Since this is remanufactured, I suppose the ICM could potentially be any brand.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-28-2015).]

Ucycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to replace it with a BWD icm from oreilly(w/ lifetime warranty) but find a used GM(ACdelco??) in it so i just left it in there since most people here said it last longer than any aftermaket ones. I did make sure it have a good layer of thermal compound. But I have read here, where it comes with a cheap Chinese made ICM too. So the BWD icm is a backup in case the GM one fails.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ucycle:

The newer style pickup is nice since you don't need to take the dizzy out to replace it.

Uh...... How?

bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be carful what brands you buy. A lot of the brands are using very cheap components in them. Modules, pickups, and have had a few actually leak oil through the shaft into the cap area!!!!
If you are iii need of a distributor, I would only buy the brand new A1 Cardone. not remanufactured ones or any other brands.

That is a great price of it was a new Cardone one!!!! I usually find them for about double that!!!!
Brian
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought one of those from RockAauto. Paid twice as much as this deal. It was a GM remanuf but everybody says its a Cardone. The ICM had a sticker on it about warranty but I peeled it off to only to find it was a no-name icm underneath.
So I transplanted my GM icm to the new dizzy.

That price on ebay is so cheap I'm wondering if those items might be a little warm and I'm not talking about temperature either.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Ucycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Uh...... How?

Oops, Im wrong about it. I read multiple post were people said they don't need to remove the dizzy but didn't read the whole post were others said you have to remove the dizzy to remove the pickup coil. So to correct myself, you will need to remove the distributor to replace the pickup coil.

Ucycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ucycle

90 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by Spoon:

That price on ebay is so cheap I'm wondering if those items might be a little warm and I'm not talking about temperature either.

Spoon

Yeah, I look at their ebay store and all they sell are distributors and starters, most all very cheap. Their website that is printed on my invoice doesn't work. Of course everything on ebay, don't expect to warranty it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That distributor looks like it has a quality reluctor and pick up coil but unless the ign module is a high quality/high heat unit, it may not last. Not too many brands of modules can survive the high heat Fiero environment in a location over the exhaust crossover pipe.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be all in my mind but I like this type of distributor because the pickup coil is protected in its little metal "cup" and not exposed to harsh deteriorating atmosphere and ozone like in the original design. In short, a more durable distributor.

I got mine for a very good price (its from the junkyard) so the extra cost of a new AC Delco module was not a big deal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock