Any body running thelse stereos? by Silvertown
Started on: 09-26-2015 12:31 AM
Replies: 28 (1122 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-16-2015 01:40 AM
Silvertown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of those are double (2) DIN. Neither will fit without some considerable massaging of the dash (including the skeleton). If someone made a 1.5 DIN stereo with those specs, I'd buy one tomorrow.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2015 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Both of those are double (2) DIN. Neither will fit without some considerable massaging of the dash (including the skeleton). If someone made a 1.5 DIN stereo with those specs, I'd buy one tomorrow.

The JVC looks slimmer top to bottom. I will be picking one up tomorrow. I would get the pioneer but I hate that knob but it is the same or close to the dash light. But that JVC is nice but it has only the blue lights.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

... If someone made a 1.5 DIN stereo with those specs, I'd buy one tomorrow.

I just installed a 1.5 DIN Retrosound Newport radio for a girl in our group.
She wanted iPod/iPhone connectability, Bluetooth, MP3 playback and USB connections (who uses CD anymore?)

This has it all. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136301.html
And because it looks factory - no street punk is gonna bother stealing it.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-26-2015).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a Kenwood single DIN head unit with a USB, auxiliary connection, Bluetooth connection for the phone, CD, and AM/FM bands last week and like it so far. It even has the capability to change the display colors and has a close match to the normal Pontiac red color. It also works with the Performance Sound option and was a somewhat reasonable price.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 09-28-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I just installed a 1.5 DIN Retrosound Newport radio for a girl in our group.
She wanted iPod/iPhone connectability, Bluetooth, MP3 playback and USB connections (who uses CD anymore?)

This has it all. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136301.html
And because it looks factory - no street punk is gonna bother stealing it.

Yeah, and I'll tell you for $400, I expect a HELL of a lot more options. I don't know how that company can even have the balls to sell something that basic for that high price.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought this at best buy along with the gm retro plug. It can dial in the orange color of dash lights. The kid that sold it to me was great.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site...237166&skuId=1646007
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a double din in mine, it did fit in the skeleton however the cover did need a lot of modifying. Since I had to make it taller and narrower I veneered it with wood, then stained and lacquered it.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silvertown:

The JVC looks slimmer top to bottom. I will be picking one up tomorrow. I would get the pioneer but I hate that knob but it is the same or close to the dash light. But that JVC is nice but it has only the blue lights.

I looked it up. It's a double DIN.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by tebailey:

I installed a double din in mine, it did fit in the skeleton however the cover did need a lot of modifying. Since I had to make it taller and narrower I veneered it with wood, then stained and lacquered it.

I'm going to have someone cut a new cover out of smoked plexi anyway so I don't care if that has to be a different size. More interested in being able to install a double DIN stereo without having to modify the HVAC controls and/or skeleton (mine still happens to be in one piece). Got a story (preferably with pics), thread, website, etc detailing this?

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry that I didn't document it, but the one I got did fit in the skeleton without any trouble so no mods were needed for the HVAC. I will attempt to get a pic up later. Don't suggest PIP, I've never been able to get that to work on this machine. There is a lot of pics of it on the Kelmark free forum site but this site does not allow links to other forums.
PFF
System Bot
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to invert the radio hvac controls. The radio gets very warm in the lower hole.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had it to do over I would have moved the radio up top and moved the HVAC to the bottom. Mine has a 7in LCD screen and I installed a backup camera. The low mounting does make it hard to see the camera.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Sorry that I didn't document it, but the one I got did fit in the skeleton without any trouble so no mods were needed for the HVAC. I will attempt to get a pic up later. Don't suggest PIP, I've never been able to get that to work on this machine. There is a lot of pics of it on the Kelmark free forum site but this site does not allow links to other forums.

I'd suggest using PIP. (j/k) I use Imgur. The only "problem" with that is that it doesn't like big pics. You have to shrink them a bit. I'd be happy to post whatever pics you've got if you email them to me. PM me for me email addy, if that's what you want. If you link me to the Kelmark site, I'll d/l the pics and post 'em.

What brand/model did you use?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was an Ouku that I got off e-bay. Cost me $180 has a 7" lcd screen DVD player, usb, sd card, Ipod hook up, blue tooth, camera hook up, amp connectors,and also has an analog TV tuner that's useless now that they've gone digital. I'm still finding other little goodies in it. I just wish now that I would have swapped the location with the HVAC control, but if I tilt the screen up a bit it's livable.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Yeah, and I'll tell you for $400, I expect a HELL of a lot more options.

That's fine.

She wasn't intending on watching DVDs in her car, but she may want to add amplifiers and subwoofer in the future.
This has the amp-out/sub-out connections and subwoofer crossover/cutoff controls to handle that.
In the meantime, it has Bluetooth, iPhone connectability and plays MP3's - exactly the things she really wanted.
(but I agree the price should be lower - maybe if more people had already bought them... )

In my case, my Indy just has a Delco CD radio with MP3-in adapter. I don't need more crap than that.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-28-2015).]

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site...bbed-customerre views
http://www.bestbuy.com/site...993678&skuId=1517947

The pioneer has a cheap cheap cheap plastic knob. But if your budget is what dictates the purchase it's got a lot of features. The jvc 41/21 is outstanding in quality and it's loaded. You won't need an amp unless you waste your money. And the cherry on top is its got hookup for a rear mounted camera. The Kenwoods were just as nice and equipped. The alpines are alpines but they are double in price.

[This message has been edited by Silvertown (edited 09-28-2015).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best bang for the buck is this SoundStream from Crutchfield...I installed in the Argernta:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here is the deck at online car stereo for a good price.
http://www.onlinecarstereo....WhJayrKKVEg-6thUSbRo CZxbw_wcB

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 09-28-2015).]

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Best bang for the buck is this SoundStream from Crutchfield...I installed in the Argernta:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here is the deck at online car stereo for a good price.
[URL=http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_41742_Soundstream_VR-74H2B.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison&gclid=CjwKEAjwyqOwBRDZuIO4p5SV8w0SJAAQoUSwfDl7LGZKoK61xQ30FkwBkZsWhJayrKKVEg-6th USbRo]http://www.onlinecarstereo....WhJayrKKVEg-6thUSbRo[/URL] CZxbw_wcB

Didn't know they were still in business.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Soundstream's website: http://soundstream.com/stor...eo/source-units.html

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best bang for buck if you want modern is boating stereos as 1.5 din is the size.
I have made posts in past on these radios.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-076332.html

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 10-08-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

It's funny because I run a Rockford Fosgate marine deck in my vehicle and I love it. It also has a white face. I'll have to pick one of these up just to have. It seems this would open up a lot of options because the face is remote mountable which could free up the space in front of the shift knob for storage/cup holders.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-11-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not really, they used to be TOP-OF-THE LINE, now they are china crap, when they went to the spider design, they went to a swap meet brand.

Originally posted by Australian:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/...d:g:ttkAAOSwd0BV7OjG

That is kinda cool, I wonder how the sound quality is.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Yeah, and I'll tell you for $400, I expect a HELL of a lot more options. I don't know how that company can even have the balls to sell something that basic for that high price.

That is the whole reason car audio went down hill, everyone wants "features" not quality. Thus the i(crap) was born.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

That is the whole reason car audio went down hill, everyone wants "features" not quality. Thus the i(crap) was born.

Because unless you are competing in an SQ competition quality sound in an automotive environment is a waste of money.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering I was trained as an ISACA SQ judge, I take sound quality seriously.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most people that buy car stereo actually worry about the power wattage of the head unit and use the high level outputs to connect full range speakers.
If you want to really use a stereo worry about how many channels sub out puts rca cables it really offers.
If you want best sounding stereo you need loads of power and electronic cross over networks rather than just active crossovers and component speakers. All depends what you want to achieve
1.5 din is not for real stereo lovers but can still be done at professional level, The head unit is least of importance all depends on what scale you decide to build a system and what you want out of it.

At my age now i really don't care for it all as is a lot of weight for a sports car that i am trying to reduce weight on.
Other point is have it as loud as you can stand it with all frequencies allowing you to drive it same time as rest of power volume is all a waste.
You eventually get over it and want a sports car back.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it can sound good and I can hear it while driving with the windows down. I always thought it was more about matching the speakers to the unit.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Considering I was trained as an ISACA SQ judge, I take sound quality seriously.

Yeah sure if someone wants to spend $10,000 on their system to win a $10 plastic trophy then go for it. But for the rest of us, I can't hear the difference between iCrap and anything else in a new car let alone a Fiero and all the road noise.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock