Found the oil leak! by DKcustoms
Started on: 09-04-2015 02:03 PM
Replies: 7 (284 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 09-05-2015 01:55 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you can see in the picture, the oil was clearly leaking from the gasket not being seated properly between the oil pan and block

But in all seriousness, the car had a really bad knock and died on the way to my house when I bought it this spring.
I've been working on almost everything else, and am getting around to the motor.
The rod was sticking out of that hole in the oil pan and caused all sorts of damage.

What's missing in this picture? tons of stuff.

connecting rod, piston, bearing, engine mount, etc.
that rod really wreaked havoc when it decided to evacuate, as well as covering everything in oil.

I'm sure I'll find tiny pieces of everything in the oil pan when I drain it tomorrow, as I don't think the piston is still in the cylinder

you can see 2 gouges in the cylinder wall here, im sure there are more I'll find when I get the engine out

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 09-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will most definitely need another engine. You might as well upgrade.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

that rod really wreaked havoc when it decided to evacuate... I'm sure I'll find tiny pieces of everything in the oil pan when I drain it tomorrow, as I don't think the piston is still in the cylinder

Surely you're not considering rebuilding that engine?
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to be putting in a 3800 out of a 01 SSEi.
don't worry fellas

My Build Thread

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 09-04-2015).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DKcustoms

1071 posts
Member since Oct 2013
I guess my sarcasm didn't translate through text well enough
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at that first picture and thought "you've got bigger problems than a squeezed gasket" But then looked at the other pics and figured you already know that!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awwwwww maaannnn... You let the MAGIC SMOKE out. It's done.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my co-workers many many years ago had a Ford pick-up that was making a strange noise. He asked me to take a listen, then told his wife to rev it up. She put it right to the floor, didn't take long before we knew what the noise was. Shoved a rod out the side of the block. The amazing thing was it still RAN! he had just enough left to get it home before the over heating shut it down.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock