Should i find a new shop? by davylong86
Started on: 09-02-2015 01:14 PM
Replies: 10 (363 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 09-03-2015 11:57 PM
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had one of the local shops put front brakes on my 86. Would of and could of done it my self but two jobs and four kids left me little time. The owner I met at several car shows and he mentioned that he has worked on Fieros in the past. He called it a backwards Chevette lol. I dropped the car off with copies taped on both windows of where to put the pads when using the lift. I get a call later that afternoon and he said brakes were done but there is another issue he needed to talk about with the car, my first thought was the idiots probably smashed my coolant pipes. Well I get to the shop and he shows me my nice shiny rotors and calibers and then tells me that my power stirring is shot with a dead serious look on his face, well I started laughing and said that's not the first time I heard that one and then realized he was serious. I then had to break the news that Fieros don't have power stirring. Maybe he should stick with Chevettes
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So maybe he did not work on so many Fieros in the past....but he is willing, and up front about issues, and he did not crush your coolant pipes!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See how the front bearings do and go from there...
IMO he should have looked for PS parts before mentioning it. But if he was serious he probly just noticed it was harder to turn than a PS car and just said it. No big deal.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RUN!

He, or whoever works for him, does not pay attention to detail. I would distrust any professional that misses such an obvious thing.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 09-02-2015).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

See how the front bearings do and go from there...
IMO he should have looked for PS parts before mentioning it. But if he was serious he probly just noticed it was harder to turn than a PS car and just said it. No big deal.

Agree, he's a good guy and under staffed but he is straight up with what's going on. He is very fair on parts and labor also. He has a very nice 69 Camaro and the shop is nice also. Edit: Front bearings where replaced

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 09-02-2015).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our family mechanic is a genius with new cars, but has mis-diagnosed a couple easy items on my Fiero a couple times. People aren't used to working on these old cars anymore. When was the last time you saw a non-Fiero without power steering? That said, I'd at least expect him to look at the rack before telling you about the issue. The complete lack of lines and a pump on the engine are a good clue.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being that he worked on breaks, I doubt he had any need to pop the hood. If he's not checking the engine compartment, then he isn't seeing what he's missing. Likely just drove it enough to verify the break work, & mentioned the PS issue. I wouldn't look into it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw someone at a car show freak out when they saw a stick shift on the steering column.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I saw someone at a car show freak out when they saw a stick shift on the steering column.

Hell a lot of people now haven't even seen a stick shift.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't show them the push button tranny controls on the dash like my Uncle Elmer's old Chrysler.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Being that he worked on breaks, I doubt he had any need to pop the hood. If he's not checking the engine compartment, then he isn't seeing what he's missing. Likely just drove it enough to verify the break work, & mentioned the PS issue. I wouldn't look into it.

The first thing I do before doing a brake job is raise the hood and check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If someones been topping it off it will be full which means when you compress the new pads back into the calipers that fluid is going to backup into the master and overflow or overfill it.

On the other hand if the level was low and no topping off was done there may not be a problem, however I definitely would raise the hood and check the fluid level as well as the clarity or possible contamination of the fluid.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock