Why the front tires are bigger than the rear by LaneMallula
Started on: 08-28-2015 01:12 PM
Replies: 6 (585 views)
Last post by: dobey on 08-28-2015 03:01 PM
LaneMallula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaneMallulaSend a Private Message to LaneMallulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering why the tires on the fiero are smaller in the front compared to the rear. I know its due to tread wear but what else? Also what would happen if I ran 17x8 tires all around?

Thanks, Lane
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<-- I run the same size front and rear 235/55/17 I think. Don't quote me on the size I'm not looking at the tires at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Tweeter (edited 08-28-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! The tires were a different width only in 1988 with the GT and Formula. All other years had the same size. The smaller tires on the front make it easier to steer at very low speeds.....like parallel parking.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, all Fieros with 15" rims came with staggered tires from the factory....205/60/15 front, 215/60/15 rear. But in 86-87, the rim was the same front and back....in 88, they went to a staggered rim as well.

It is one of the basics of tuning. If your car is balanced 50/50, then you want the same size tires front and back to keep it balanced in the turns. If your car has 55% of the weight in the back, then you want 55% of your tread width to be in the back.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Actually, all Fieros with 15" rims came with staggered tires from the factory....205/60/15 front, 215/60/15 rear.

Ooops. I meant to say WHEELS!.....the 88 had different width wheels.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88's with the 15" laced wheels also had different offset front and rear. My experience with my 88 Formula.... Is don't run same offset wheel all around the car. It will make it rather twithcy at speed. Almost like the car is nervous. Make sure on the 88's to get the right offset wheel.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LaneMallula:

I was wondering why the tires on the fiero are smaller in the front compared to the rear. I know its due to tread wear but what else? Also what would happen if I ran 17x8 tires all around?

Thanks, Lane

Skinnier tires up front make turning at low speed easier, when there is no power steering. Putting wider tires up front will increase steering effort.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock